Is it ok to ask...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Is it ok to ask God to give you a sign if something is his will. Or let me know if this is your will. Is that throwing out a fleece. Am I wrong in asking such things. Anyway, something weird happened to me today in regards to this. I've been praying about a certain person in regards if I should ask her out and if she could be a potential partner, for some time now. Because it's a delicate situation and I don't want to make it uncomfortable. Well, I was reading this morning in the Bible the Song of Solomon. And I had been thinking about this person. And the color purple came to mind. I was like, ok. What does that mean. So in my inner voice I was asking, God if I should ask her out or is there some potential there for the future, let me know somehow. I also was thinking to myself, well, if she is wearing purple today, then I'll know. And, she was wearing a purple sweater. Crazy huh. The only thing is, I'm not sure she would give me the time of day. Am I reading to much into this. Is it just a coincidence. Is it evil trying to trick me or confuse me. Any advice would be appretiated. ;)

sport123

Is it ok to ask God to give you a sign if something is his will. Or let me know if this is your will. Is that throwing out a fleece. Am I wrong in asking such things. Anyway, something weird happened to me today in regards to this. I've been praying about a certain person in regards if I should ask her out and if she could be a potential partner, for some time now. Because it's a delicate situation and I don't want to make it uncomfortable. Well, I was reading this morning in the Bible the Song of Solomon. And I had been thinking about this person. And the color purple came to mind. I was like, ok. What does that mean. So in my inner voice I was asking, God if I should ask her out or is there some potential there for the future, let me know somehow. I also was thinking to myself, well, if she is wearing purple today, then I'll know. And, she was wearing a purple sweater. Crazy huh. The only thing is, I'm not sure she would give me the time of day. Am I reading to much into this. Is it just a coincidence. Is it evil trying to trick me or confuse me. Any advice would be appretiated. ;)

sport123

There are lot's of issues there dude. I think there is nothing wrong with throwing out a fleece, it was honored once before, so God must not be offended by it. Problem is, you notice that God did it by performing something which was not controlled by human will. The color purple thing, how do you know where that came from? If you set a fleece, how would you set it up in a way, that you know God is speaking? Make it too easy, and coincidence will be interpreted as a sign. Make it to tough, and God can only do it by a miracle. I vote for that method. How about you say "if this is your will Lord, make the sky purple when I emerge from my house tomorrow. That would be convincing, wouldn't it? Is God capable of that?

So give that a try, and tell us what happens. Of course you could cheat and say "If you don't want me to date her, make the sky purple". See the problems with this approach? So, let's try plan B.

Proposal for plan B

Write down the characterisits you believe that God would want you to have in a mate.

See if she measures up. If you do not know, then I suggest you find that out first. Ask her about spiritual things. If she is interested, see how much you agree on, think about being equally yoked. If she seems to be a good candidate for you, ask the question in reverse. Ask yourself: "If she were my sister, close friend, daughter etc., am I the kind of person that I would want her to marry. If the answer is no, then you need to work on developing yourself until you are right for her, it is not just about you, you know!

Now, assuming that the two of you are what you should be for each other, that is a great basis for going forward, and ask her out for something more "date like", but be real to her, do not pretend to be anything you are not. If you are right for each other, and the two of you proceed in a Godly way, God will make sure that you both know, that you are for each other. The trick to knowing God's will, is not so much creating tests, it is looking into His word, where His will is revealed abundantly.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  473
  • Content Per Day:  0.07

Well, don't forget about a fleece - the opposite was done. Often people who present a fleece - without doing part 2.

Also, Omegaman post is very good.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Well, I am no expert. But, I would say that if you are a believer then the Holy Ghost is dwelling in you, therefore a fleece is unnecessary since He will bear witness to your spirit. Also, the Word is our guide in all things. I am reminded of the time Joshua fell on his face before the Lord and prayed and the Lord told Joshua to stop and get up and do certain things. In your case, put it in the Lord's hands and if doors close just move on. It is easier to steer a moving ship than one that is anchored.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  101
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  10/02/1948

Well I wish I had something more wise to say here but everyone else covered it very well God Bless.