• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I have been thinking a lot about the different Christian denominations, there are 28,000 divisions of Protestant (or so I've been told) and then there are Catholics as well. My question is does anyone else think most of these splits are meaningless? Aside from a few really crazy denominations, the majority of these denominations have all the same beliefs in areas that effect salvation.

So that would mean that 99% of the arguments between Christians are about things that are in the end, meaningless. The theory on how the earth was created comes to mind instantly, does it really effect salvation? Anyways, I don't really have a point here, does anyone else feel the same way I do?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Deep thoughts. I need to brew some strong coffee before I tackle that one.

Haha, forgive me Marnie, my thoughts have been a lot like this recently. Deep crazy confusing meaning of life type thoughts. Probably because I have started reading Francis Schaeffer's works... it's a lot for a 15 year old mind to take in, I'm just glad to know something that might not be completely ridiculous is coming out of it. :)

I have been thinking a lot about the different Christian denominations, there are 28,000 divisions of Protestant (or so I've been told) and then there are Catholics as well. My question is does anyone else think most of these splits are meaningless? Aside from a few really crazy denominations, the majority of these denominations have all the same beliefs in areas that effect salvation.

So that would mean that 99% of the arguments between Christians are about things that are in the end, meaningless. The theory on how the earth was created comes to mind instantly, does it really effect salvation? Anyways, I don't really have a point here, does anyone else feel the same way I do?

Denominations are unfortunately neccessary.

Do you believe they all are? Like all 28,000? Because obviously some major things are, if one church teachers that Jesus was one of God's 6 sons, then obviously it needs it's own denomination, but what kind of things are they split over? Because surely there arn't thousands of variations of the faith calling themselves Christian with only one being right. Can't Lutherans, Calvinists, Baptists, Evangelicals, etc all find their way to heaven?

I would say it does affect salvation. After all, if a person doesn't believe the creation story, why should they believe any of the authors who quoted it repeatedly?

If someone doesn't believe in the flood, then they are calling Jesus a liar, because Jesus referred to it several times.

So "minor" doctrines actually do affect one's salvation, because I don't see how anyone could be saved if they believe Jesus lied or was mistaken, or if they believe a doctrine that could only be true if Jesus lied or was mistaken. If he lied or was mistaken about something, then he wasn't God, and if he wasn't God, then he's just another man who died on a roman cross, and his death would not be sufficient to save anyone.

I do see your point, if any doctrine teaches the bible is untrue then it definatly affects salvation. I'm referring moreso to different interpretations. I know many believing Christians dedicated to Christ who believe that there really was a 6-day creation period and many equally dedicated Christians who think it wasn't literal and that there were 6 periods of time, not days. I understand the importance of believe it truly did happen and that it truly was God's hand at work.

Although, just to be fair, I am not sure if there are any denominations seperated by this belief alone.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

They may all have similar or the same beliefs when it comes to the essential doctrines for salvation, however there are very very different and unreconcillable differences between them in other ways.

For example take Baptists vs... well presybterians, lutherans, catholics, and a few others who believe that it is perfectly appropriate to baptise a child as an infant. YOu cannot get them to agree or reach a compromise on this. The doctrine of believers (adult or professing) baptism is part an parcel to being baptist, even though they have been known to argue amongst themselves.

Then you take the presbyterians vs the methodists. This is is the calvinism vs arminianism debate and there is no way to reconcile that.

Then you have the anabaptists which have a pacifistic interpretation and Hostile Kingdom view of government vs most of evangelical Christianity which opposes them on at least one of those points and possibly both of them.

There are very good reasons for these denominations.

I see your points LadyRaven. I guess what I'm saying is what if we didn't try to reconcile those things. We all just said, okay, we have some varying beliefs, but I think we can all stick together and be a body of Christ and receive our salvation. The issues could still be debated, just not in the heated "I hate you and am making a new church because of your opinion" kind of way.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  04/20/1964

I see your points LadyRaven. I guess what I'm saying is what if we didn't try to reconcile those things. We all just said, okay, we have some varying beliefs, but I think we can all stick together and be a body of Christ and receive our salvation. The issues could still be debated, just not in the heated "I hate you and am making a new church because of your opinion" kind of way.

As in? Trying to be non denominational or just respecting each other?

You can't actually be non denominational, because while you might not have a "Baptist" or "Pentecostal" sign on the door the official church doctrine will reflect that of one denomination or another. If they say they have none they are full of it, their doctrine may not be codified, but if you listen to the preacher long enough you will find out what it is.

We can all respect each other, and we can all work together for some things like...doing works of charity. we can't all work together on other things which have to do with doctrine, like evangelism. Yes, catholic missions and pentecostal missions are different from each other and then baptist and methodist missions will be different from each other and the other two. How the gospel is presented varies as does the format for that presentation and the type of followup which is done.

Alright, I realize how this works now. Denominations are basically a way to prevent us from arguing amongst ourselves and therefore letting us focus on the work we should be doing in the world. I think I am looking at an ideal kind of thing, where we can all work together in harmony, but because this simply isn't possible, denominations are a necessity.

Unless that was on the completely wrong track, thanks for the opinions. :noidea:

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Matthew 12

25. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

Lady,

Our baptist church baptises babies as a dedication service for their parents.

The parents promise to raise the child in a Christian way.