Guest K.R.E.B.S

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  207
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

I'm reading a book by Dr. Armand M Nicholi called "The Question of God." It's about Sigmund Freud and C.S. Lewis and each of their thoughts about God. Page 20 of the book says,

"Historian Peter Gay refers to the 'sizable pockets of anticlericalism and of secularists contempt for all religion' that pervaded European culture during Freud's years in medical school. Many of these 'pockets' involved the medical community, whose acceptance Freud strongly desired - for his professional advancement early in his career, and later, for the acceptance of his theories."

This got me thinking. Do you think there's an efeebling sense of groupthink going on in the scientific community? If I'm a student of science who wants a career, am I going to go against the flow of what everybody else - my professor, colleagues, and possible employers - think? It's like the idea of tell the professor what he/she wants to hear or thinks and you get the grade. Just a thought. :emot-highfive:

Let's hash it out with love and respect,

Joe

Okay, "groupthink" would be peer pressure by what your describing. Yes, peer pressure happens everywhere. And the word "groupthink" is scary.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  207
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Ummm.... Well this is quite awkward.

I must say that I find it quite necessary to come out of the Christian closet on this forum.

I just recently lost my faith. I had been having trouble with alot of things concerning faith. I watched a video today called "The God Who Wasn't There" and it was the same ole athiest attack on Christianity. Nothing I haven't seen. Well I was thinking while watching and realized that I have been ignoring these arguments, instead of trying to answer them. I would come up with fanciful imaginations that wouldn't get close to being an answer. And I was content....for a while.

I don't know what you have to do to get your thing changed to "nonbeliever" but I guess it should be done. I see no god, I feel no god, and I certainly can't smell one.

Runners High, I just wanted to tell you that you are the one who convinced me that god isn't real....just kidding....I wouldn't give you that much credit. But seriously, I lost faith. I'm kinda shaking right now, but I feel somewhat relieved. I was so blind...so blind...

Once again, I might be wrong about turning to agnostocism(or athiesm or whatever you wanna call it), but the evidence scale has tipped, actually it dropped, and god's side is way up in the air.

Who knows? Maybe I will be "born again" for the millionth time sometime in the near future. But I don't see it happening...of course, I didn't see it happening in the first place, but oh well.

Well, if you've lost your faith I really do hope you find it again. We have this funny notion that in today's society you just say a prayer, get all kinds of faith

and I think it's not quite that simple the way your average televanglist would tell you. Child-like faith is very difficult and we must also be intellectually honest

and evaluate arguments. We can't just stick our heads in the sand about everything that challenges our faith, however, we always need to do LOTS of research

before we would ever conclude that our faith is invalid. Christian testimonies are a good example of re-inforcing that God really can do miracles and he really

is there and there are just some things we can't explain.

God Bless.

Edited by tdrehfal