• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/26/1954

Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.  

Mat 13:45   Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto a merchant man, seeking goodly pearls:  

Mat 13:46   Who, when he had found one pearl of great price, went and sold all that he had, and bought it.  

I have heard this taught from man's perspective. Such as a man found this treasure of great price or the pearl of great price and sold all he had to obtain it. Referring to the Kingdom of Heaven.

My problem with this is that I have nothing to sell to buy the pearl or the field with. However I have a different understanding of this parable and would like your imput. I am not saying I am right, just searching for the truth...

I see the treasure or pearl as the body of Christ. And God sold all that He had, i.e. bankrupted heaven, to abtain us. He gave all that we might have all. God must surely see the value in man, when he is redeemed....... bought.

I would like your thoughts on this parable so that I may have a more complete understanding of God's word. I will admit that although I have a decent understanding of God's word, it is not a perfect understanding. The parables give me real pause to stop and think..... How about you? :a2:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,802
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Birthday:  06/01/1945

Greetings Rafter,

My problem with this is that I have nothing to sell to buy the pearl or the field with. However I have a different understanding of this parable and would like your imput. I am not saying I am right, just searching for the truth...

I see the treasure or pearl as the body of Christ. And God sold all that He had, i.e. bankrupted heaven, to abtain us. He gave all that we might have all. God must surely see the value in man, when he is redeemed....... bought.

I suppose anyone could draw all sorts of analogies from this and other parables. But generally only one analogy is the correct one.

The parable is not just about a merchant, but "a merchant seeking..."

We are told "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God..." Though you may not have enough gold or silver, you certainly have a "heart" with which you can serve the Living God, and this is His price for the "pearl". There is a field out there in this world that is rich with religions and vain philosophies, but ONLY ONE Kingdom of God.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

You do have riches, our riches are our idols, usually, things that we want to cling to.  Pride, material wealth, habits, thought patterns, you have to "sell" it all to follow Christ.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

Rafter:

Great question.

I would refer you to a thread on Doctrinal Questions on the Mustard Seed parable.

I use a commentary by J. Vernon McGhee, who does the Thru the Bible radio show. He has some good old-fashioned Bible thumping.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  200
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/26/1954

Thank you dad ernie, wordsower and oneaccord. You gave me much to think on. Especially you oneaccord. I am not saying we are right, but at least I am not the only one  who thinks the man refers to the Lord.

Wordsower I know I have things to give, our idols, usually, things that we want to cling to.  Pride, material wealth, habits, thought patterns, you have to "sell" it all to follow Christ. But I see these as something that need destroyed. I can see no value in them at all.

Dad ernie, I know generally only one analogy is the correct one. But I am not ready to accept the one you shared as the one yet. Although it seems to be the most common.

Oneaccord I have peeked in on your discussion in doctrinal questions and I have enjoyed it. Thanks for the heads up as I will look forward to it with more interest.....

:a:

Guest Boron
I have generally accepted these two parables that you have mentioned as being,  selling all that one has inorder to become  a disciple of our Lord.  (Matt. 10:34-42. Note vss. 38,39.).  I have never heard of "the seeker" meaning our Lord Himself, although it is not out of the question. Thanks for the input.