946 Billionaires in the World

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

And children still hunger and live in poverty.

What does that have to do with billionaires?

Alot, I believe.

As a billionaire, it would be a great opportunity to put back money into something worthy, like starvation and helping others (children). Sure many billionaires give to charities - fantastic. Would a few more dollars need to be put forward to help matters? Abs

olutely.

As a percentage of income, the wealthy give more to charities than average folk do. It is a misconception that the wealthy are also tightwads. But why are the wealthy obligated to do more than anyone else?

maybe because they can afford to.

Why would you say that? How do you know what "they" can afford to do or not do? Assuming "they" already give more than you do as a percentage of their income, you would expect them give even more? Why? So you can get off the hook and give less?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,782
  • Content Per Day:  0.36
  • Days Won:  1

If it's legitimately earned according to the law, all well and good. Gee whiz, for a Christian who loves the Lord Jesus, that's a tenth of whatever going to the storehouse and a life filled with the joy of giving in Jesus' Holy Name. Now, if only a Bill Gates came to faith in Christ!Right on!

http://arthurdurnan.freeyellow.com

It's not about "having" money but seeing a need and meeting that need.

We are to be good stewards of everything including basic rights for our fellow man.

We are to be good stewards of everything including basic rights for our fellow man.

But surely you are not saying wealthy people ignore the needs of others?

But surely you are not saying wealthy people ignore the needs of others?

No I'm not.

I have a hunch that some billionares who do in fact give very generously to worthy causes are not heralded as loudly as those who are plastered on the front pages for their glitzy lifestyles and spending sprees because it's considered too boring by the masses - not what they want to read. Having said that, I think they are financially in a better position to go that extra mile. Whether starvation and children in poverty is a top priority to them is another thing altogether.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

And children still hunger and live in poverty.

What does that have to do with billionaires?

Alot, I believe.

As a billionaire, it would be a great opportunity to put back money into something worthy, like starvation and helping others (children). Sure many billionaires give to charities - fantastic. Would a few more dollars need to be put forward to help matters? Abs

olutely.

As a percentage of income, the wealthy give more to charities than average folk do. It is a misconception that the wealthy are also tightwads. But why are the wealthy obligated to do more than anyone else?

maybe because they can afford to.

Why would you say that? How do you know what "they" can afford to do or not do? Assuming "they" already give more than you do as a percentage of their income, you would expect them give even more? Why? So you can get off the hook and give less?

exactly

Guest Biblicist

Matthew 6:1-4 1 "Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2 "So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3 But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Psalm 49:16-17 16 Do not be overawed when a man grows rich,

when the splendor of his house increases;

17 for he will take nothing with him when he dies,

his splendor will not descend with him.

Matthew 19:23-24 23 Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  5,850
  • Content Per Day:  0.84
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1911

Matthew 6

24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

or

24 No man is able to be a servant to two masters: for he will have hate for the one and love for the other, or he will keep to one and have no respect for the other. You may not be servants of God and of wealth.

You are assuming that just because one is wealthy, they are serving money. This does not have to be the case, at all. In fact, wealthy people make their money serve them. I have found in my own limited experience that the tighter I held on to money the harder it was to acquire more, but the more I let go of it, mentally and in actuality, the more I would make.

Matthew 19

21 Jesus said to him, If you will be perfect, go and sell that you have, and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. :emot-hug:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

Charity should not be mandatory for anyone. God rewards charity because it comes from the heart.

Rich people, not only give to Charity, but provide a job, a product and a livelihood for people who otherwise may not have it.

They deserve a break. If someone inherits wealth, bud did nothing to earn it or establish it, then it's a blessing from God and that person would be wise not to squander it. However, if someone has worked his entire life and saved up wealth, he was blessed with wisdom, not wealth. His wisdom made him wealthy. Either way, it's a blessing from God. Another person, other than God has no right to force me to use my blessings for their purpose. What God gives He takes away and if He gives you health, wealth, wisdom and happiness you have a responsiblity to God to use it in a manner to glorify Him.

Let the individual decide what to do with his money, it's no one else's business.

But, don't tell a liberal that, you have freedom of choice so long as it isn't religion, you have a right to wealth so long as it isn't yours. My life is my business.

In the category of abortion, my life my business no longer applies, because there's another life there, that's effected by your decisions. Pregnancy is just the beginning, there's a lifetime of commitment and good decisions to make.

Matthew 6

24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.

or

24 No man is able to be a servant to two masters: for he will have hate for the one and love for the other, or he will keep to one and have no respect for the other. You may not be servants of God and of wealth.

You are assuming that just because one is wealthy, they are serving money. This does not have to be the case, at all. In fact, wealthy people make their money serve them. I have found in my own limited experience that the tighter I held on to money the harder it was to acquire more, but the more I let go of it, mentally and in actuality, the more I would make.

Matthew 19

21 Jesus said to him, If you will be perfect, go and sell that you have, and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. :whistling:

Well, first that verse is addressed to a young rich man who was sincere, genuine in obedience but lacking one thing (see the parallel account in Mark); namely a total commitment to Christ. That verse is not addressed to you or me. If it was, we'd all be living in a commune; I doubt that even you, Geri have sold everything to follow Christ. Our attitude should be, as I said previously, that we should not hold on so tightly to money or the things of this world, but be willing to give them up if G-d commanded us to.