• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  532
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/25/1972

I think I own many of the most common translations and when I study, prepare sermons, lessons, etc., I'll use more than one.

The one I take to church every Sunday and use the most is a NKJV that has in it also the Vine's Expository Dictionary (not a complete one mind you) contained in it.

I own, besides that one, a pair of KJV (one is my mother's antique so I don't use it save for display), a pair of NIV (funny I never unpacked those when I moved

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  47
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I was raised on KJV and that is what I know.  I have "looked" at a couple other versions, and always go back.  :noidea:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

God-Man, I notice you exclude the NASV...I've never noticed any issues with it...have I missed something?

Hi Bill,

Just a matter of personal preference, I guess.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

The New Living Translation is actually a paraphrase, but the verse you gave puts a better understanding of the new life that have in Christ than the former RSV. IMO

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/10/1970

Lana,

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  582
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  04/10/1970

Hate, envy, fear?

• Topic Count:  439
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  7,315
  • Content Per Day:  0.93

Journey...I like your style  :thumb:

As I said and will say again... God uses various versions of the Bible to meet the needs of different people. I can assure you that the KJV would be difficult to comprehend by an illiterate homeless man sitting in the streets, his senses dulled from cold and hunger.

Why is it so difficult for people to "get it"? Doesn't anyone understand the need to adapt to the "audience" we're addressing? No, you're not changing the meaning of scripture when you adapt it to the language of the people you're speaking to.

If that were the case, the Word has already been adulterated because you've translated from Greek and Hebrew into English.

Now, we fuss over Old English verses everyday language we use in common speech? Don't we constantly discuss in our own words what the scriptures "mean" to us personally? Of course. We want scripture to be meaningful and pertinent to us and to our lives... not just words committed to memory.

The Pharisees were legalists who knew the "Law" inside and out. Oh, they could quote scripture alright but they consistently missed the "heart" of the Law, which was mercy.

We need to be more concerned with the real application of God's Word rather than useless controversies which promote division amongst brothers. Paul spoke to Timothy about such things...people who  get caught up in controversies which fail to promote God's work - which is by faith. Paul tells Timothy (1 Tim 1: 5) that the goal is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

Isn't that what matters, dear brothers? We are joined by sincere faith and a good conscience to serve the same Lord whom we all love - yes?

We tend to allow pride to dominate us because we can all speak with such authority yet being mortal beings we all fall short and see through a glass darkly. We see in part and speak only what we know. We have to rely on the Holy Spirit to lead us. Hence, contrary to all the chest-pounding - I refuse to yield to "this version or that version" is best...because again...Paul made it clear that he becomes all things to all men for the sake of the gospel. Shall we continually be manipulated by Satan in order to "win a point"?

The "point" IS the gospel. The point is...if I have to use only pictures to communicate the gospel...or sign language or

a picture Bible...I will. The goal is that we be about the "Father's business" and not so caught up in quarrels which do not result in God's work...which is faith generated by love and a pure heart. Again (read 1 Tim 1: 1-7).They had the same problems back then that we have today.

We need to get our minds on the gospel message...which is so simple -  even a  small child can understand it.   -Cat

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

The Journey said:

And god-man, I'm not sure of your point on new creation.