• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

The Holy Spirit is the one who reveals all truth to our hearts and minds from His Word. Without Him the Word of God is just a nice book. With Him it is life and light to our souls.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:P

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15)

The Holy Spirit does not supernaturally teach us the meaning of words.

If this were so, all believers would be geniuses and there would be no need to study at all.

You wound me dear sister, Not!

Ancient Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek are great if God directs you into those studies!

Some of us are doing well if we can handle English and American English at that!

It astounds me to hold The Holy Bible in my hands or to read it on-line!

Just the little history I know of the preservation of Scripture makes it's survival so miraculous as to boggle the mind!

I would like to look at The Written Word of God (sword) and The Holy Ghost.

I give a great shout of Thank You to The God of all the Saints.

Of all of my brothers and sisters known and unknown, from before Noah and after Moses, who God used to give us His Holy Words.

Combat Mister

"Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might."

"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil."

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Ephesians 6:10-12)

Combat Dress

"Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand."

"Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;"

"And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;"

"Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked."

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:" (Ephesians 6:13-17)

The Weapon

"For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

Thank You and Bless You Dear LORD!

"And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." (Mark 16:15)

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

According to you the Spirit of Christ isn

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Word Orgins/ Roots or beginning of words

Do they really make a difference?

Do I need to Know the orginal Greek or Hebrew meaning of words? IF, yes....... Why are they important to know?

I believe you can get more out of the Bible when you have tools such as Lexicons or even Strongs Numbers and a good study Bible. You can find these in bookstores or even online. I find it helpful in understanding the scriptures when I can look up the original word that was used in the passage.

• Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I am all for studying the Word of God! We are told to study to show ourselves approved. but we who are in relationship with the God who wrote it, also know that there may be intellectual understanding of some of it, but it is only throught the Holy Spirit that the truth can be received and made plain.

It takes the Holy Spirit to open one's spiritual eyes to the truth--otherwise it is like reading a phone book, for some.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Because Scripture is so easily misinterpreted, and because the English language simply doesn't have words to cover all the concepts in the bible, it's important to understand the usage of certain words... hence, the origins. For example, we have one word for love... the Bible has several. When Jesus asks Peter, "Do you love me" and Peter responds with "You know I love you" they are using two different words for love. Jesus is asking about Agape, while Peter is responding with Filio (I hope I'm not spelling that wrong... a more learned community member can feel free to correct me :blink: )... in other words, Jesus wants to know if Peter has pure, holy love for Him, and Peter is responding by saying, "I love you like a brother." It is only on the third round of Q and A that Peter responds with Agape.

While this is a less controversial example, and the word usage has not really shaped Christian docrine much at this point, you can see that by knowing the meanings and origins of the words involved, we learn more about the story... and a little more about Peter's evolving relationship with Christ.

In many other parts of the bible, though, knowing the proper usage becomes much more important (for example, the word "Hate" also has several uses in scripture... one varient is about actually lacking love for somebody, while the other refers to a cutting off; a turning away from).

Thanks rtwo,

That's an extremely valid and relevant point! I did not realize that one single word could have a profounding effect on some of the thuoghts that may have been conveyed. But you are exactly right. I always thought like so many and depended on the "Holy Spirit to intervene" and HE has for the most part, but when we need to really comprehend many detailed words as these, we need to know and have an understanding about the three languages that make up the Bible's text. Also, I found I sometimes had to read paragraphs before and after a text to get the full understanding of a "particular thought" but I can see where knowing and having control of the languages being used would eliminate much of that. No wonder so many different religions/denominations have evolved from one book alone if there can be several translations merely from a single word or thought???

Thanks for the input rtwo.

Blessings and prayers

Cajunboy

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48