IGNORED

Kind of Really Upset/ Discourgaged right now

My parents aren't Christians...just me. And I thought it would be nice if they attended the Easter Sunday service, so I invited them...the first thing that came out of my dad's mouth was "When monkies fly out of my butt", it really hurt to hear him say that - couldn't he have just politely said no thank you, obviously not. And I guess as some of you have seen that I've posted my testimony, well now I'm not all that sure I want to share it with the congregation on the April 29th evening service. I'm so confused and that comment my dad made has really upset me...and I know the minute I go to tell him that what he said was hurtful I'll get the usual response "Oh your just over-reacting to it, and your being a suck". This has kind of made me change my mind about sharing it at the evening service. And it's not just that comment that is upseting me....he says soooo many little things, jokes (what he thinks they are) and they are really hurtful, I feel put down and discourgaged all the time around him. I can't stand sitting at the dinner table and talking to him now, because I'm dreading the next "joke" that comes out of his mouth. I once made a comment that his jokes were hurting my feelings and he said that he was just "teasing", well it doesn't feel like teasing it feels like he's putting me down!!! I try not to take it personally but when he says the things he says it's like he is bashing my beliefs into the ground. He and my mum are supportive in the way of driving me to all the church functions and groups but I really don't feel like they are all that supportive of me. Isn't being supportive NOT making comments that bash my beliefs? Uhh I don't know, maybe I am taking this too personally I don't know - I'm just really upset.

Pray for them.

Just ask the Lord to touch their heart. That's all you have to do. Just have Him touch it.

Include this request in all your prayers. I believe you'll see a difference in their attitudes.

Jokes can be hurtful. The best way to deal with them is to ignore them. Don't ignore the teller...ignore the joke. This is important. As some have said here, its a fear of the unknown. They know nothing about it therefore they poke fun at it.

Don't let it bother you.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Christiangirl16. I am also 16 years old and can only imagine how hard it must be to live with non-Christian parents. But you can't let them discourage you. Many people fear religion, they think of boring church services and monotonous priests in robes and living boring lives as monks. They can't see what a joy it really is. Your parents are reacting as the rest of the world would, and you have to be patient with them.

Over time your dad will probably see how much this means to you. He might even wonder about it enough to take a look into it himself. But you have to keep pressing on, and keep courage. Pray for your parents, and pray for the strength to stand up to the world (your parents included). God will always give you the strength you need to get through hard times.

As for the testimony, I think you should go ahead with it! Your parents do not change the fact that you were lost and now you are found. And you should not be afraid of showing emotion. Remember you're reading it at church, everyone else knows what it's like to be saved, of course you can show emotion!

Anyways, it is very late here (I'm also in Canada :thumbsup: ) and I should be going to bed. Just keep trusting in the Lord, you will have the strength you need! And I will keep you and your parents in my prayers!

God Bless,

Keilan

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  970
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Father God what an awesome God you are. You have forgivin us when we did not deserve it. You have blessed us when we did not deserve it. Father I lift Christiangirl16 up to you for strength and encouragement. I lift her parents up to you Father that you would soften their hearts and open thier eyes. I pray for healing in Christiangirl 16, from the pain from her father. Lord open her heart and eyes to she may see your will for her life. You oh Lord, our comfort and friend, shower Christiangurl16 with your grace and love. In Jesus precious name, Amen.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  36
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  233
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  10/04/1990

Thank you Berribear your prayers mean a lot. I'm so glad it is finally Sunday, I have church to look forward to!

Thanks to everyone else who is praying for me, and giving me advice/ support. :thumbsup: