IGNORED

Seventh-Day Baptists - What do they believe?

Vickilynn

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,345
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/10/1961

While there is no issue with what day a christian chooses to meet with others and rest from their weekly labour, Christians are to be led by the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit always goes by the spirit (intention) of the law and not the letter.

The ressurection day was commonly known as the queen of all days and the disciples naturally held it in high reguard, and while continuing to meet in the synagouges to preach Christ, they also began to meet privately for intimate and free expression of their love to Christ and each other Acts 20:7. Contrary to the misguided opinion of some, Constatine did not make the change of day, he only ratified it to allow freedom of all to cease work without penalty. Before that christian slaves were bound by their owners disposition.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  517
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0

Did anyone notice that this thread was from five years ago??? :rolleyes:

Good point what are you doing here and why am I writing this?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  15
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

While there is no issue with what day a christian chooses to meet with others and rest from their weekly labour, Christians are to be led by the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit always goes by the spirit (intention) of the law and not the letter.

The ressurection day was commonly known as the queen of all days and the disciples naturally held it in high reguard, and while continuing to meet in the synagouges to preach Christ, they also began to meet privately for intimate and free expression of their love to Christ and each other Acts 20:7. Contrary to the misguided opinion of some, Constatine did not make the change of day, he only ratified it to allow freedom of all to cease work without penalty. Before that christian slaves were bound by their owners disposition.

Interesting. Can you show me one example where Jesus showed that following the spirit of the law breaks the letter of the law?

You are correct in that Constantine did not make the change of day. The Roman Catholic Church did it. Just check to see what they say about the Christian "sabbath."

Catholic Encyclopedia "Sunday"

Edited by sdb deacon

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Seventh Day Adventists are most definitely a cult. They are in fact a very dangerous cult. With them, everything is The Law. They speak of grace, but in truth, they are slaves to Moses. I have a very good friend who is SDA.

Remember one thing:

If you are a debtor to the Law, YOU ARE A DEBTOR TO THE WHOLE LAW TO DO IT. Christ is not effectual for you. Paul tells us that we can't uphold the Law. It's either grace or Law. You can't have both individually. Societally, that is a different matter. Christian nations should have laws based on Biblical Law.

Seventh Day Baptists mustn't be common here in Tennessee, I have never heard of them. If their doctrine is mostly Baptist, then chances are they are orthodox.

SDAs are totally different. SDA's believe that worship on Sunday is the Mark of the Beast. They believe the Pope is the antichrist (an unfortunate error of the Reformers). SDA's elevate the teachings of Ellen G. White to near Biblical status. SDA's believe that Jesus is Michael the archangel. SDA's believe that the Bible is not correctly translated and has been altered. SDA's are unsure of their salvation. SDA's believe that there will one day be a National Sunday Worship Law designed to persecute them. David Koresh's Branch Davidian group was an SDA offshoot. While the relationship between more modern SDAs and Christians is better than that of older SDAs and Christians, the SDAs still regard themselves as being correct and all other churches as incorrect. Older SDAs consider born again Believers as Beast-worshipers.

Apparently it was a split off from the Baptist church over the observance of Sabbath on Sunday instead of Sunday. I wonder if it matters that much to God to separate His people by such a thing?

nah....I doubt God gets very upset about people who go to church on Sunday

:thumbsup:

:24: :24: :24:

Guest Butero

Interesting. Can you show me one example where Jesus showed that following the spirit of the law breaks the letter of the law?

You are correct in that Constantine did not make the change of day. The Roman Catholic Church did it. Just check to see what they say about the Christian "sabbath."

Hebrews chapter 4 explains the truth of the Christian Sabbath.

1 LET us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

In the previous chapter, we are reminded of how the children of Israel couldn't enter into the promised land because of lack of faith. They had to wander in the wilderness 40 years till an entire generation died off before their children could receive their inheritance, which was refered to as rest in verse 17. Those of us who are Christians entered into spiritual rest when we had enough faith in Christ to accept him as our Savior. Again, notice what it says in verse 3. "For we which have believed do enter into rest..."

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

5 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, Today, after so long a time; as it is said, Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Under the law, the rest people entered into was the seventh day. By faith, they ceased from all physical work that day. The children of Israel that had faith entered into the land of Canaan where they would find rest.

8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

The natural rest in the OT law was given to represent a greater spiritual rest the Christians would find in Christ. The rest the children of Israel found in Canaan was also used as an example to point us to rest those who believe would find in Jesus. This passage is not easy to follow, and it took me a long time to get what it was saying. Something I would like to point out is that Sunday was never the Sabbath. It wasn't the Sabbath under the OT law, and God never changed it to the Sabbath in the New Testament. If there is a physical day on the calendar we should observe, it would have to be Saturday, but by limiting our rest to a single day, we are missing a greater truth. True rest is found in Jesus. Matthew 11:28-30

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Guest Butero

Since you are a deacon in the Seventh Day Baptist Church, could you tell us something about the beliefs of the church, aside from the obvious? :noidea:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Romans chapter 4 explains the truth of the Christian Sabbath.

1 LET us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

In the previous chapter, we are reminded of how the children of Israel couldn't enter into the promised land because of lack of faith. They had to wander in the wilderness 40 years till an entire generation died off before their children could receive their inheritance, which was refered to as rest in verse 17. Those of us who are Christians entered into spiritual rest when we had enough faith in Christ to accept him as our Savior. Again, notice what it says in verse 3. "For we which have believed do enter into rest..."

4 For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works.

6 Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, Today, after so long a time; as it is said, Today if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Under the law, the rest people entered into was the seventh day. By faith, they ceased from all physical work that day. The children of Israel that had faith entered into the land of Canaan where they would find rest.

8 For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

The natural rest in the OT law was given to represent a greater spiritual rest the Christians would find in Christ. The rest the children of Israel found in Canaan was also used as an example to point us to rest those who believe would find in Jesus. This passage is not easy to follow, and it took me a long time to get what it was saying. Something I would like to point out is that Sunday was never the Sabbath. It wasn't the Sabbath under the OT law, and God never changed it to the Sabbath in the New Testament. If there is a physical day on the calendar we should observe, it would have to be Saturday, but by limiting our rest to a single day, we are missing a greater truth. True rest is found in Jesus. Matthew 11:28-30

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

I think you mean HEBREWS Chapter 4. Otherwise, you're dead spot on.

Guest Butero

Romans chapter 4 explains the truth of the Christian Sabbath.

I think you mean HEBREWS Chapter 4. Otherwise, you're dead spot on.

I did mean Hebrews. Thanks. :thumbsup: