• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Thank you Revel. That was rather unique and insightful. Get ready for the blast!!!! :):o:thumbsup:

Guest Biblicist

From my understanding speakning in tongues is speaking in another language, Spanish, French, etc. A language that is not your native tongue. The day of penticost was the opposite of the day at the Tower of Babel. God created confusion in their speach that day and on the day of Penticost he made it so that their speach was no longer confused for the spreading of the Gospel.

We are all capable of speaking in tongues, since there are programs available for learning all the different languages. However, if one has a problem with their own native tongue, they might want to consider that "speaking in tongues" is NOT their gift. :o:)

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/09/1961

I am of the believers who don't believe that this gift is given any more. We do not speak in tongues, but I know believers who have. I think it is a rare thing and not given to all as a gift. Many of these gifts were characteristic of the early church, necessary then but not now. A true believer has the Bible as a full text and is complete, tongues imply that there is revelation that has not been given. Same with prophecy.

1 Corinthians 13:

8Love never fails; but if there are gifts of (S)prophecy, they will be done away; if there are (T)tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

9For we (U)know in part and we prophesy in part;

10but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

I can say more on this later, but I don't have my research on this handy.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

From my understanding speakning in tongues is speaking in another language, Spanish, French, etc. A language that is not your native tongue. The day of penticost was the opposite of the day at the Tower of Babel. God created confusion in their speach that day and on the day of Penticost he made it so that their speach was no longer confused for the spreading of the Gospel.

We are all capable of speaking in tongues, since there are programs available for learning all the different languages. However, if one has a problem with their own native tongue, they might want to consider that "speaking in tongues" is NOT their gift. :o:)

though I agree with the first part of whay you said, the second part is pretty far removed from scripture. It's not as though Acts says, "And they downloadeth rosetta stone software and did learn how to speak Chinese." This, and the prophecy by Christ concerning speaking in tongues, is clearly in reference to an act by the Holy Spirit (though I'd agree with you that it's in reference, most likely, to another human language).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  400
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

And the blast begins...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

And the blast begins...

I see no blasting.

If we as Christians can't discuss scripture without seeing it dissolve into a toxic argument, what hope do we have for bringing others into God's Kingdom?

Guest Biblicist

though I agree with the first part of whay you said, the second part is pretty far removed from scripture. It's not as though Acts says, "And they downloadeth rosetta stone software and did learn how to speak Chinese." This, and the prophecy by Christ concerning speaking in tongues, is clearly in reference to an act by the Holy Spirit (though I'd agree with you that it's in reference, most likely, to another human language).

I believe that God gave people the ability to translate languages into learnable tools to be able to use those other languages to spread the gospel, therefore it could very well say, "And they downloadeth rosetta stone software and did learn how to speak Chinese." The ability to create a program to teach other languages, and the ability to learn other languages comes from the Holy Spirit does it not? :thumbsup:

Guest Biblicist
And the blast begins...

Disagreeing is not blasting. In fact I don't even see anyone really disagreeing. . . yet.