• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

It's not a non-language, Arthur. It is a language of heaven, wherein the Holy Spirit speaks to the Father through my voicebox! As we lay it down to the control of the Holy Spirit, He takes it and speaks wonders through it, thus edifying the believer. It is an excellent way for us to be built up in the faith.

Interpretation is a wonderful gift that comes to some to perform the job of interpreting an exhortation in tongues for the whole congregation--a different gift--so that we all will be made known the Father's heart in a matter.

There are two specific tongues gifts.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/09/1961

One of the problems with tongues: what if you can't do it, and no one in your congregation can do it? Does it mean you don't have the Holy Spirit amongst you? Pentecostals believe that you are not saved unless you can do it. I have a problem with that.

Also, think about this: we seldom see the gift of healing from such things as blindness from birth, yet we still believe God heals. Does that mean that you are not praying hard enough if you don't get healing? Or if you are not showered with riches? No.

2 Timothy 3:16 - All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

17so that (AV)the man of God may be adequate, (AW)equipped for every good work.

It's my Calvinist teaching that Scripture is enough to draw people in. The miracles Jesus performed provided proof that He was who He was, they didn't necessarily cause people to believe in Him. People shouldn't look for miraculous gifts when coming to church, just doing God's will is what is called for.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

It's not a non-language, Arthur. It is a language of heaven, wherein the Holy Spirit speaks to the Father through my voicebox! As we lay it down to the control of the Holy Spirit, He takes it and speaks wonders through it

why do they need you so they can "talk" to each other?

just curious ... 3xR0c|<stAr

Edited by exrockstar

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  45
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  02/09/1961

Well, this is what I was told by a Pentecostal person. Maybe they are different in other parts of the country. If your pastor believes he is saved, and shows evidence of it, then he must be saved. He'll have a lot to answer for at the Throne of Grace if he isn't!

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Ad bot

For Mature Believers Only

Learn How To Speak In Tongues, Prophecy & Ahab

So, it is something that you can learn and not just be given as a gift?

Guest Biblicist
It's not a non-language, Arthur. It is a language of heaven, wherein the Holy Spirit speaks to the Father through my voicebox! As we lay it down to the control of the Holy Spirit, He takes it and speaks wonders through it, thus edifying the believer. It is an excellent way for us to be built up in the faith.

Interpretation is a wonderful gift that comes to some to perform the job of interpreting an exhortation in tongues for the whole congregation--a different gift--so that we all will be made known the Father's heart in a matter.

There are two specific tongues gifts.

FA, some scripture references to back this up would be good for my personal study. Thanks. :mgcheerful:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

It's not a non-language, Arthur. It is a language of heaven, wherein the Holy Spirit speaks to the Father through my voicebox! As we lay it down to the control of the Holy Spirit, He takes it and speaks wonders through it

why do they need you so they can "talk" to each other?

just curious ... 3xR0c|<stAr

Huh?

The Lord speaks about what I am praying about...but He does it in a more effective way, bypassing my feeble mind and pouring His power into the situation.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  628
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  01/09/1985

Pentecostals believe that you are not saved unless you can do it. I have a problem with that.

Goodness, does that mean that our pastor (of a pentacostal church) is not saved? :noidea::taped:

Actually that's not true anymore. While Pentecostals (not to tar them all with the same brush) did believe, or at least have it stated in their doctrine of beliefs, that Tongues was the evidence of the Holy Spirit, it's been changed now to it just being an evidence of the Holy Spirit.

Because really, any of the Gifts should be evidence of the Holy Spirit, not just one single gift.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  02/01/1960

While Pentecostals (not to tar them all with the same brush) did believe, or at least have it stated in their doctrine of beliefs, that Tongues was the evidence of the Holy Spirit, it's been changed now to it just being an evidence of the Holy Spirit.

Because really, any of the Gifts should be evidence of the Holy Spirit, not just one single gift.

Not exactly. Assembly has always stated that

1. Holy Spirit comes to live in the believer upon initial salvation at confession as Jesus as Lord and Savior.

2. Baptized with the Holy Spirit WITH the power is with evidence of speaking in tongues.

Blessings, Karen (AG Minister) :emot-questioned:

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  662
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  02/01/1960

For more info you can visit the web site at

http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/Position_Papers/...filled_life.cfm

Blessings, Karen