IGNORED

Self Defense

MK202002

Still pondering this myself. What do you guys think?

And remember SELF defense. I'm not talking about defending anyone else.

Based on the answer, I would have to change my mind on a lot of things. It's a serios thing, don't you think?

Part of this is trusting in the Lord's protection. I live in a "bad neighborhood" by some people's standards, and at one time I worked in 2 other "bad neighborhoods". I didn't go around looking for trouble, but I was careful not to knowingly put myself in a potentially bad situation either. Getting to work involve a mountain bike and the city bus, so I didn't go to work wearing my uniform (I was working security at the time.) There were a couple of times I had to show others I was ready to defend myself, and warn them, but after that they backed down in one case, and the Police showed up in the other.

Self defense? Yes.

Before becoming a believer I had a fairly normal upbringing, but we moved alot. As anyone can tell you, when you're the "new kid" on the school yard you are a target for bullies. One fight was usually enough to solve the problem -- except for one kid in a small Texas town with 2 bothers dumber than he was.

Another case: The first Gulf War (aka Desert Storm). I was there. People shooting at me makes me mad as. . . . well, we're not supposed to say that here I don't think. :o We were in a war. We got shot at. We shot back with something heavier. I don't have a problem with doing what's necessary to stay alive. We live in a fallen world, and there are some really messed folks in that world. I hate to say this, but Virginia Tech is a prime example of this. The violence isn't going to end either. It'll get worse -- right up until the Lord's return.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/17/1961

there is not one single passage in scripture which indicates we are not to defend our own lives against a thief, a psychopath, etc. the only thing even close is that those who die for CHRIST are blessed. since in our country at least, psychos don't go around asking you if you believe in Jesus before blowing your brains out.

Jesus told his desciples to carry a sword, and if they didn't have one, to sell their coat and buy one, because there would be difficult and dangerous times ahead in which they would need one.

that's good enough for me.

This is not true. Christ plainly stated not to resist an evil person. He also plainly stated that those who take up the sword will die by the sword. And He who tries to save His life will lose it. And if some one strikes you on the cheek turn the other to him also.

Matthew 5

39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

Matthew 26

52 But Jesus said to him, "Put your sword in its place, for all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

Matthew 16

25 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

There is no such thing as self defense in Christ Jesus.

Taking these verses out of context i see.....

Mat 5:38

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Well killing someone is very final, it impacts you and of course it ends a human life.

I have guns for hunting. But I don't keep them loaded in the home and keep the ammo separate because we have kids. For home self defense I use other means which are not lethal. This may end up being a mistake, but I honestly don't know how effective I would be with a gun killing someone in self defense at night, which would be the usual scenario at least for me.

If you are worried about self defense there are other things you can carry, tasers, knives, mace, pepper spray, a short baseball bat or club, etc.

hmm that would be like taking a knife to a gun fight.

A gun fight?

The point is if you carry a lethal weapon you have the ability to take a human life, to end someone's life forever, you can't take it back, and what if you make a mistake? It can escalate quickly, why take the chance? Christians must leave behind this macho B.S., that basic tough guy attitude is not a Christian mindset anyway. We are to be gentle, peace loving people, and yes we should defend our families, but we should be known for our peace loving ways, we should never be seen as violent, this is not our witness.

What if your kid was coming in late or surprised you and came home from college early and you shot him or her. I have been thinking about this lately due to what happened to our family last month. I thank God; I did not have a loaded weapon anywhere near me. At 3am, I hear my dog going crazy downstairs barking at the back door in the kitchen. I run downstairs and my wife follows. There is a man kicking our door in, just screaming and smashing at it was about to give way. Okay now my wife is panicking crying kind of losing it, I tell her to go upstairs and make sure the kids are okay. I call 911, (for here that is the sheriff who I know will take about 20min to get here). At 3am tired and scared if I would have had a loaded pistol in my hand I might have used it. Instead I got my bat and pulled open the door before it got wrecked, this very drunk man falls down in my kitchen and throws up, yelling about not letting him into the party. It was our neighbor

Guest LadyC

thank you eli, i just logged on and read what Godsloft had posted, and was about to respond when i saw that you already had. you summed it up quite well, so i don't see any need to repeat you.

i'm always amazed how people can take a few scriptures so far out of context. not just on this subject, but on many, many subjects in the Bible. sometimes it seems almost as though they have never even read the entire passage!

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  1,980
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

thank you eli, i just logged on and read what Godsloft had posted, and was about to respond when i saw that you already had. you summed it up quite well, so i don't see any need to repeat you.

i'm always amazed how people can take a few scriptures so far out of context. not just on this subject, but on many, many subjects in the Bible. sometimes it seems almost as though they have never even read the entire passage!

I second this.

A gun fight?

The point is if you carry a lethal weapon you have the ability to take a human life, to end someone's life forever, you can't take it back, and what if you make a mistake?

Make a mistake? if someone attacks me, then what mistake would i be making?

It can escalate quickly, why take the chance?

MAY BE because I want to be around for my family! I don't exactly care to check out this early in life. Contrary to many peoples desire for everything to end on this board, I like my life, i like living. Jesus is going to come back when he feels like it so i don't worry about when he is nor do i hurry him up. Theres too much to experience in this life to hurry up the next one.

Christians must leave behind this macho B.S., that basic tough guy attitude is not a Christian mindset anyway.

Its not a macho BS. I'll drop anyone right where they stand if i determine their a threat. I don't know if you have realized it yet, there are crazies in this world.

We are to be gentle, peace loving people, and yes we should defend our families, but we should be known for our peace loving ways, we should never be seen as violent, this is not our witness.

Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

What if your kid was coming in late or surprised you and came home from college early and you shot him or her.

My kids know not to come in late without notifying me they are coming in. My kids are grown and still to this day will call me before coming over OR if they don't and show up at the door they make darn sure that they are yelling who they are so i hear them.

they all know i carry and will use it.

BTW, Not a single member of my family, nor a ancestor, ever has been killed by an attacker, nor have they been shot by anyone in the family in a accident. All of us have been raised with a gun in our hands since we were 5 years old, including my sons and daughter.

I have been thinking about this lately due to what happened to our family last month. I thank God; I did not have a loaded weapon anywhere near me. At 3am, I hear my dog going crazy downstairs barking at the back door in the kitchen. I run downstairs and my wife follows. There is a man kicking our door in, just screaming and smashing at it was about to give way. Okay now my wife is panicking crying kind of losing it, I tell her to go upstairs and make sure the kids are okay. I call 911, (for here that is the sheriff who I know will take about 20min to get here). At 3am tired and scared if I would have had a loaded pistol in my hand I might have used it. Instead I got my bat and pulled open the door before it got wrecked, this very drunk man falls down in my kitchen and throws up, yelling about not letting him into the party. It was our neighbor’s 19 year old loser son, who was hammered, and did not know where he was. I didn't even have to use the bat on him (the dog did bite him in the leg, oh well). But there are many instances like that, those are the most common, and having a loaded weapon handy is just not a good idea.

Well personally, that would suck for him if he came to my house. He was trying to break in, didn't identify himself, i would have waited til he came through the door and that would have been all she wrote for him.

A dog is also a good security measure for your home if nothing else for warnings.

only problem is their not exactly reliable on what they are barking about.

I just don't see guns as a wise choice is my only point, there are many ways we can defend ourselves and keep ourselves safe without using a gun or killing anybody. ( I am a believer in the 2nd amendment don’t get me wrong, I own guns and like them, but I don’t see them as any sort of self defense tool)

Really what would you do with that baseball bat against a attacker?? one swing maybe if your lucky. you had better pray you don't get stuck in close quarters like a hallway. Baseball bat turns a simple case of assault into hand to hand combat. You are willing to allow a attacker to get that close to you? Not a wise move at all. swing a bat at me i'll step back and put a slug in you.

that is the danger one puts themselves in when they don't use a superior force.

Last of all, I am not trying to drag it all up for Marnie but i read her story earlier and thought OMG. I see now why she's stacked n packed and ready for anything that comes her way now!

If she had of had a gun, she would have been on equal terms with her attackers and I am quite sure that three men would be worm food now taking the great celestial dirt nap like they deserve.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

So you would have killed your neighbor

So you would have killed your neighbor

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Eliyahuw, not trying to start and argument or anything, but you posted in another thread about your son being killed by someone, yet above you say no one in your family has ever been killed by and attacker? Did I misunderstand something?

Eliyahuw, not trying to start and argument or anything, but you posted in another thread about your son being killed by someone, yet above you say no one in your family has ever been killed by and attacker? Did I misunderstand something?

He was beaten to death with a aluminum baseball bat. When we buried him, it was closed casket because of what they did to him.

We are talking about with a gun. the poster made the argument that most people are killed by their own guns.

He was too young to own a gun at the time as he was only 17 years old when he was murdered. Thanks to liberals and their laws they prevented him from being able to buy even a shotgun and own one. i have one minor son left, and he is able to defend himself unlike his brother.