• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Hey everyone, I have heard a lot recently about growing to be a mature Christian, and growing on milk until we can handle solid foods and things like that.

So how does one grow? I've been facing a few difficulties recently:

1) Bible Study. Sometimes it's hard to convince myself that it matters. I read daily and recently I tried to start an in-depth study on a topic (the nature of evil) but found no motivation to study it more deeply than my daily 3-5 chapters.

2) Faith, Faith and more Faith. I have a lot of trouble here. Christians speak of knowing of their salvation. I know that as a child of God I am saved, but sometimes I question it, and wonder about it and have trouble convincing myself that if I died in a car accident tomorrow I would be alright.

3) Witnessing. This is a big one, I have a few friends that are "borderline" Christians, like they like the idea of Christianity, but prefer to sort of watch it from the sidelines instead of jumping in. So my problem is that I have no idea how to handle it if I'm ever approached with questions on how they would go about getting into it. I know all the steps, like realize you are a sinner and want Jesus to forgive you, but sometimes I have trouble working up the enthusiasm to really be convincing with it. I don't "feel" a constant need for forgiveness. My mind knows I need it, but my heart doesn't always seem to agree.

This may be very confusing, but well, I thought I should throw it out there.

God Bless,

Keilan

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  422
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/24/1985

I think I know what you mean...I've gone through stages in my life where it feels like I'm forceing it...and that's just the problem! We can't force ourselves to be more faithful by reading a lot of Bible or going to Church every sabbath, because it can't come from the brain...it has to come from God, and the spirit.

There is no set way on how we grow as a Christian because the journey is different for every person. Only God knows the answer to this question for you. Set aside time to spend with Him, ask Him questions, and if you listen and follow you will grow.

but here is what I learned, and what has worked for me in these areas, I hope it might help:

1. Bible study...to me, I have learned that quantity is not quality. Perhaps you are not getting as much as you could out of it because by setting a number of chapters to read it's more like a school assignment? Sometimes I can get the most meaningful lessons from one small quote, and hours of contemplation can come from one verse. Maybe this could work for you too?

2. Me too, I know exactly how you feel. I am often plagued with doubt...'am I a good Christian' 'do I really follow Jesus' and all those wonderful 'what if's' We all have doubts...heck, even Jesus' disciples had doubt and they were right there with Him! It's a part of our nature to doubt, so don't let that bother you...just keep telling yourself that God is taking care of you, He wants you to learn and to grow...He will lead you...just make sure you keep your eyes and ears open!

3. I have a problem with this too, but I try to keep telling myself to not let fear stop me, and now I have a good reason. My boyfriend, whom I am deeply in love with, was once a solid agnostic. I thought if I even brought up God he would just laugh at me, and so out of fear of ridicule I didn't bring it up...not to mention I didn't know what I would say! But God kept telling me to witness to him, and when I did, it turns out he was actually interested, and soon we did Bible studies together. Soon after he became a Christian, and we then began to date...now he's an even stronger Christian than me, I think, and he often has revelations and guidances that I would never have thought of...the spirit really guides him...and as far as not knowing what to say, I was surprised to find that when the time came, I had no trouble. Jesus said not to worry what you would say...because the Holy Spirit will give you the words. Sometimes I feel like a hypocrite even when I give advice like this because I don't follow it all the time, but when I saw this post I felt called to write something. God calls us to witness...ask Him for the passion that you need to convince yourself, so that you can convince others.

This is just an observation, but it seems like you are going through a period of spiritual sleep...where everything seems kind of flat and not as important as it once seemed? Like you're just going through the motions now?

I will pray for you :emot-questioned: may your journey be filled with God's light

InternalFlame, I appreciate you taking the time to write a reply.

I think your bible study technique is what I'm looking for. Perhaps that is why I originally felt a desire to do a more in depth study (the lack of motivation I will have to fight with most likely). I think that I am being told to read a passage and reflect on it. Try and suck as much knowledge and wisdom as I can out of it.

Your post was very helpful, in fact, I am going to print it out and read it again tomorrow when I am less tired, just to make sure I got it all. Perhaps it is, like you said, a period of spiritual sleep, sometimes it's just hard to recall times when it wasn't like this. I think I know that I have had times when I feel better spiritually, but it is hard to bring them to memory.

I also very much appreciate your praying for me. :emot-questioned:

God Bless,

Keilan

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

Hi, Keilan. One thing that helps me is to associate with as many mature Christians as I can. That encourages me, and I learn a lot from them. I know you already do that, otherwise you wouldn't be here at this forum. Best wishes, Mary

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I think you've gotten some excellent advice already. I also do the pick a subject and study it through, not as faithfully as I should (working on that :21: ) but its a good way to get a well rounded picture of how the word, or idea is used throughout the Bible. Just keep praying, as long as your heart is in the right place, God will find you, and tell you what you need to know, as you need to know it! About your friends, don't you think they would like to hear about your struggles as much as your successes? Usually the doubts are the same for everybody, you haven't thought up a new one, which is good, thats why we can help each other through things, somebody has already been there before us! God bless you and keep you!

:wub:

Guest justchuck
I think I know what you mean...I've gone through stages in my life where it feels like I'm forceing it...and that's just the problem! We can't force ourselves to be more faithful by reading a lot of Bible or going to Church every sabbath, because it can't come from the brain...it has to come from God, and the spirit.

There is no set way on how we grow as a Christian because the journey is different for every person. Only God knows the answer to this question for you. Set aside time to spend with Him, ask Him questions, and if you listen and follow you will grow.

but here is what I learned, and what has worked for me in these areas, I hope it might help:

1. Bible study...to me, I have learned that quantity is not quality. Perhaps you are not getting as much as you could out of it because by setting a number of chapters to read it's more like a school assignment? Sometimes I can get the most meaningful lessons from one small quote, and hours of contemplation can come from one verse. Maybe this could work for you too?

2. Me too, I know exactly how you feel. I am often plagued with doubt...'am I a good Christian' 'do I really follow Jesus' and all those wonderful 'what if's' We all have doubts...heck, even Jesus' disciples had doubt and they were right there with Him! It's a part of our nature to doubt, so don't let that bother you...just keep telling yourself that God is taking care of you, He wants you to learn and to grow...He will lead you...just make sure you keep your eyes and ears open!

3. I have a problem with this too, but I try to keep telling myself to not let fear stop me, and now I have a good reason. My boyfriend, whom I am deeply in love with, was once a solid agnostic. I thought if I even brought up God he would just laugh at me, and so out of fear of ridicule I didn't bring it up...not to mention I didn't know what I would say! But God kept telling me to witness to him, and when I did, it turns out he was actually interested, and soon we did Bible studies together. Soon after he became a Christian, and we then began to date...now he's an even stronger Christian than me, I think, and he often has revelations and guidances that I would never have thought of...the spirit really guides him...and as far as not knowing what to say, I was surprised to find that when the time came, I had no trouble. Jesus said not to worry what you would say...because the Holy Spirit will give you the words. Sometimes I feel like a hypocrite even when I give advice like this because I don't follow it all the time, but when I saw this post I felt called to write something. God calls us to witness...ask Him for the passion that you need to convince yourself, so that you can convince others.

This is just an observation, but it seems like you are going through a period of spiritual sleep...where everything seems kind of flat and not as important as it once seemed? Like you're just going through the motions now?

I will pray for you :emot-hug: may your journey be filled with God's light

#3 toached on something very key in this subject the holy spirit. we need to seek all that god has for us and grow up in him. The holy ghost is the spirit of truth. It will open the word up to you. we must be willing to apply gods truth to our lives as he opens it up to us.The one most important peice of advice I can give you is remember that you are called to a god and not traditions or denominational balderdash. their is a different opinion on every corner But their is only one truth that matters. seek to know him better and come to him with your heart not just words. what many fail to understand is that when we come to god for his deliverence and salvation their is an exchange that has to take place.we have to give ourselves to him so he can impart himself to us. this is where many so called christians fall off the wagon. If we ever want to become the sons of god we are called to become we must take up our cross and head down that journey to our own personel golgotha. we must willingly choose to allow ourselves to be a living sacrifice for gods desire to be made manifest in our lives. paul said I die daily.this is a lesson we cannot throw away.we must lay our selfish desires aside and seek that gods Holy desires will grow in us. we must seek a closer relationship with god each new day. we are not perfect,and can only live the way we are called to if jesus is living in and through us imputing holy desires and his righteousness to a heart longing to do things Gods way and not seeking to justify our wickedness.

when You read your bible ask god each time to show you his truth. ask him to open your understanding.then apply what is given.It is the application of truth that brings spirituel growth not the understanding. seek god and ask him to lead you to the right people and literature. If you find that what is being tought is not true to the word question it. allways place gods word over all else. their are many false teachings being taught ask him every day to open your understanding and lead you to his truth so that you wont be led estrey.If you do this from a true heart desireing to know and grow in god he will not fail you. It may seam so at times but in truth we are the ones who fail ourselves by failing him. the understanding of gods truth is a lifelong quest.we never know it all about a subject our perspective is to be constantly evolving as we grow up in him. when we find that we have an opinion that doesnt stand up against gods word that opinion must be thrown out. we do not bend and twist gods word to make it fit denominational veiws.If we dont understand we do not exept blindly any teaching. we ask god to open it to us and once he has revealed it ask him to confirm it and set back and watch how god sends you his truth. sometimes the lord works in mysterios ways. but his spirit is allways a wittness to his revelations. May God bless and keep you and I pray you will have true growth in christ.

Guest smiles1
Hey everyone, I have heard a lot recently about growing to be a mature Christian, and growing on milk until we can handle solid foods and things like that.

So how does one grow? I've been facing a few difficulties recently:

1) Bible Study. Sometimes it's hard to convince myself that it matters. I read daily and recently I tried to start an in-depth study on a topic (the nature of evil) but found no motivation to study it more deeply than my daily 3-5 chapters.

Im just going to go ahead and reply without reading any of the other posts so if its repetitious that is why. ;) First , I think its great that you have a desire to grow and want to fix problem areas. With study, what can help is to pick something that you find interesting or want to know more about and search out anything you can about it in the Bible. I find I learn more with topical studies.

2) Faith, Faith and more Faith. I have a lot of trouble here. Christians speak of knowing of their salvation. I know that as a child of God I am saved, but sometimes I question it, and wonder about it and have trouble convincing myself that if I died in a car accident tomorrow I would be alright.

What I say to this is, you will not doubt someone you know. The more you learn of God and know Him personally, the less you are going to doubt, because you will have assurance from the Holy Spirit teaching you.

3) Witnessing. This is a big one, I have a few friends that are "borderline" Christians, like they like the idea of Christianity, but prefer to sort of watch it from the sidelines instead of jumping in. So my problem is that I have no idea how to handle it if I'm ever approached with questions on how they would go about getting into it. I know all the steps, like realize you are a sinner and want Jesus to forgive you, but sometimes I have trouble working up the enthusiasm to really be convincing with it. I don't "feel" a constant need for forgiveness. My mind knows I need it, but my heart doesn't always seem to agree.

Keilan I have a couple assignments for you on this point. Listen to these sermons they are not a waste of time I can assure you:

Shocking Youth Message

Regeneration and Self-Denial

If you listen to those, they will be of great help to you on this point. :(

Thank you again everyone, Smiles, I will definatly take a look at those.

Edit: The two sermon links don't work, they just take me to a search webpage, and when I try searching for those titles it doesn't come up with anything.

Edit #2: Nevermind, I found them on google.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

hmm thats funny.

They are at sermonaudio.com , by Paul Washer