• Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  248
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/05/1946

Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem!

RE: What is so Wrong with the word,"Mysticism?"

Bear with me on this........

Webster's Dictionary defines "Mysticism" as doctrine or beliefs of mystics, specifically, the doctrine that is possible to achieve COMMUNION with GOD through contemplation and love.

Webster defines "Contemplation" as the act of looking at something intently...2 mediatation on Spiritual things...3 the act of looking forward or expectation.

Webs defines "mystery" in thelogy, any assumed truth that cannot be comprehended by the human mind and must be ACCEPTED by FAITH.

Now in the Bible there are 3 references to thw word, "Mysteries>" First....

in Matthew 13:11 ~ Jesus said, "You are permitted to understand the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven."

in Luke 8:10 ~ Jesus said, "You are permitted to understand the mysteries of the kingdom of God."

in 1 Col. 14:2 ...In the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

The word Mystery has 22 references from Mark 4:11 to Revelations 17:17.

Heavenly Father, I pray that you will lay upon the hearts of my Brothers and Sisters, Your Truth on this topic, in Jesus name. Amen.

Liz

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Mystical:

1. mystic; occult.

2. of or pertaining to mystics or mysticism: mystical writings.

3. spiritually symbolic.

There's the most accepted definition.

Webster's Dictionary defines "Mysticism" as doctrine or beliefs of mystics, specifically, the doctrine that is possible to achieve COMMUNION with GOD through contemplation and love.
:emot-handshake:

Dear Sister

Consider.....

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:6

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  248
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  01/05/1946

:emot-handshake:

Dear Sister

Consider.....

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 14:6

Love, Your Brother Joe

Okay! Don't most born again believers know that they need to pray in JESUS name to get to his Father! So one communions with God thru His Son Jesus Christ.

*edit*

Liz

• Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Joe, we (as Christians who have already received Christ) do commune with God through contemplation and love (among other things).

The problem is that the word "mysticism" has become such a broad term these days, and too many people think that the way they see the word is how everyone else naturally sees it.

English is a complex, evolving language. There was a time when people would have understood the word "mysticism" much differently than most modern-day Christian Americans.

Now, the thing about mysticism (in the sense of the tradition of mysticism) is that it's not something that can now be identified with one sole practice or belief, except that it is inseperable from religion itself (see the article linked to below).

I don't think I can explain it very well, actually, so here's an encyclopedic entry about it.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

As it stands now, mysticism embraces God, Allah, and Brahma...not a healthy mix. We, as Christians, need to separate ourselves from that. It's a slippery slope of occultism and New Age thinking.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

Perhaps by the official definition of mysticism, it is okay, I do not know and will not argue it.

The connotation of mysticism however, is generally not Christian. And in most cases connotations hold a lot more weight than denotation. (Nothing about the definition of a green light means go, but it certainly a very important connotation). So the word Mysticism is generally associated with the occult and eastern philosophies (find your inner self, god lives within you, etc.)

God Bless,

Keilan

RE: What is so Wrong with the word,"Mysticism?"

:)

Jesus Christ And Him Crucified

And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God.

For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.

And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God.

Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:

But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 2:1-16

Dear Beloved of The Lord

Consider - Jesus

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
Matthew 7:13-14

Consider - The Mystic - As The World Knows Him

mystic

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English mistik, from Latin mysticus of mysteries, from Greek mystikos, from mystEs initiate

1 : MYSTICAL 1a

2 : of or relating to mysteries or esoteric rites : OCCULT

3 : of or relating to mysticism or mystics

4 a : MYSTERIOUS b : OBSCURE, ENIGMATIC c : inducing a feeling of awe or wonder d : having magical properties

From http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Mystic

Consider - The Word

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
John 4:23-25

Consider - The Christian - As The World Knows Him

Christian

Function: noun

Etymology: Latin christianus, adjective & noun, from Greek christianos, from Christos

1 a : one who professes belief in the teachings of Jesus Christ b (1) : DISCIPLE 2 (2) : a member of one of the Churches of Christ separating from the Disciples of Christ in 1906 (3) : a member of the Christian denomination having part in the union of the United Church of Christ concluded in 1961

2 : the hero in Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress

From http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Christian

My Dearest Family

Magical Mystic Or Not, That Wolf Can't Have You

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Matthew 7:15

Because You Are The Beloved!

Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.
1 John 4:4

Jesus - Your Keeper

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.
Jude 1:24-25

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

Numbers 6:24-26

Love, Your Brother Joe

Adoration Of Your God Is Not Mysticism

It Is His Just Due.

Because He First Loved Us.

We Can Love Him.

He Is Worthy!

Hallelujah!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

mysticism refers to a -style- of beliefs; not a set of them. Though the term has been co-opted by particular religions or philosophies (much like the word "pragmatism"... but that's another thread), the meaning of the word itself doesn't change. I consider myself a Christian mystic, and I will explain how:

1. I believe Jesus is the Only Way, Truth and Life.

2. I believe in following the commands and ways of Christ, as He taught us.

3. I believe that in Jesus - and only in Jesus - do we have the remission and cleansing of sin.

4. I believe in a constant, growing, personal relationship with God... this means

5. I believe in talking to God daily, hourly, by the minute.

6. I believe in the Power of God; that when Jesus said to His followers, "you will do even greater things than these", He meant it. Further, I believe He still means it.

7. I believe in Miracles. When Jesus said "if you have faith the size of this mustard seed, you can say to a mountain, get up and walk, and it will obey" - He meant it.

8. I believe there is a mystery to our faith -- the mystery of God. It is the contemplation of that Mystery - who God is; who we are in God; the relationship we have to this Mystery - that makes me a mystic, by definition.

mysticism refers to a -style- of beliefs; not a set of them. Though the term has been co-opted by particular religions or philosophies (much like the word "pragmatism"... but that's another thread), the meaning of the word itself doesn't change. I consider myself a Christian mystic, and I will explain how:

1. I believe Jesus is the Only Way, Truth and Life.

2. I believe in following the commands and ways of Christ, as He taught us.

3. I believe that in Jesus - and only in Jesus - do we have the remission and cleansing of sin.

4. I believe in a constant, growing, personal relationship with God... this means

5. I believe in talking to God daily, hourly, by the minute.

6. I believe in the Power of God; that when Jesus said to His followers, "you will do even greater things than these", He meant it. Further, I believe He still means it.

7. I believe in Miracles. When Jesus said "if you have faith the size of this mustard seed, you can say to a mountain, get up and walk, and it will obey" - He meant it.

8. I believe there is a mystery to our faith -- the mystery of God. It is the contemplation of that Mystery - who God is; who we are in God; the relationship we have to this Mystery - that makes me a mystic, by definition.

You Are Loved - Believer In The WORD.

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.
Isaiah 54:17

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

Numbers 6:24-26

Love, Your Brother Joe