Corporal Punishment

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Do you think that Christian schools should incorporate corporal punishment as a method of discipline, or should this be left up to the parents alone?

Yes, Scripture says "spare the rod, spoil the child," but is it really a schoolmaster's job to take up this rod?

I was raised in a staunch Christian school, where such punishment was implemented on a regular basis....ALL the students, at one time or another, got paddled.

I, personally, think it's inappropriate, and think it should be the parents job, if the child is spanked at all. What do YOU think?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  418
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  07/13/1965

My daughter has been going to a Christian Academy since she was in 3rd grade. She is now closing out 9th grade. Right before she began attending the school, they used to have a policy that if the transgression was of a certain ilk, the parents would be called to the school to "apply" the discipline.

We never spanked our kids, but thought I would pass along this info because I thought it was a great way for the school to exercise corporal punishment without being the ones who implemented it.

Guest LadyC

i grew up in a public school system and corporal punishment was standard for very unruly behaviour. a paddle on the butt never did any damage to my brother. (i was a good girl, i never got paddled.)

back then, parents could sign a note prohibiting the school from administering paddlings. when my kids were in school, i submitted a permission slip for my children to be paddled if necessary. the school refused to use this form of discipline and instead did detentions and time outs on my oldest, who did tend to be a handful. YES she was disciplined at home, when we were made aware. most of the time we weren't, unless she was required to attend detention on saturday or have ISS.

at one point she was given a 10 day ISS which we were notified. thing is, my daughter was not at fault for what she was being disciplined for. furthermore, i had already informed the school that they were not, under any circumstances, to give her ISS anymore because she treated it like a vacation.

my husband took off work, we both went to the school, and had a long talk with the principal. my daughter was being punished for having had 13 tardies in less than two weeks. my daughter had already complained to us that she was unable to get to classes on time because an upperclassmen habitually blocked her from her locker while making out with his girlfriend in the hall, and would harass my kid when she tried to get to into the locker. she had ALSO complained to the office on three separate occasions.

needless to say she wasn't made to be in ISS, and she was assigned a new locker in a new wing of the building. however, during the course of the conversation we did find out that she had recently gotten mad at a teacher, became disrespectful, and walked out of class. for THAT we insisted, and i mean we had to demand, that she be given corporal punishment, with myself as a witness.

the female coach that was called in to administer the paddling gave her a swat on the rear that wouldn't have sent a fly into a tailspin it was so gentle. BUT, it was done in a glass-enclosed office, between classes. others saw. i've taken lots of flack for allowing my daughter to suffer such humiliation, but a little humiliation is good for the soul... and she never misbehaved in school again.

i grew up in a public school system and corporal punishment was standard for very unruly behaviour. a paddle on the butt never did any damage to my brother. (i was a good girl, i never got paddled.)

LOL...Don't get me wrong. I wasn't an unruly child, but even good kids can get into trouble sometimes.

For the most part, I was obedient and eager-to-please

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I think it is appropriate for the school to take action if the parents refuse to do so. Someone needs to love the child enough to teach them that consequences will follow bad behavior. :24:

I agree, When I went to school if we got into trouble that was only half our problem. WE KNEW we would get it at home too. We need to bring back good ol fashion spanking. It didnt' hurt any of us.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I was NOT a good girl at school, and had my bottom paddled a number of times, to be quite honest, I should have been spanked more. When I got home, I was paddled again. ISS was a joke, well at least at school, when I got home it wasn't very funny any more. My Dad also grounded us, and he wasn't playing, you brought home a bad report card, you were grounded for six weeks (till the next report card), No friends, no phone, no TV, no stereo, just me and my books. Needless to say, I didn't need to get grounded very often. I don't have a problem with schools disciplining students myself. If schools were allowed to paddle and children knew there were actual penalties to be paid, I don't think our schools would be in such bad shape today. To many times parents pull the "my child would never", yeah right, well I took the attitude that my child probably did. Did them all good, just like it did me.

I was NOT a good girl at school, and had my bottom paddled a number of times, to be quite honest, I should have been spanked more. When I got home, I was paddled again. ISS was a joke, well at least at school, when I got home it wasn't very funny any more. My Dad also grounded us, and he wasn't playing, you brought home a bad report card, you were grounded for six weeks (till the next report card), No friends, no phone, no TV, no stereo, just me and my books. Needless to say, I didn't need to get grounded very often. I don't have a problem with schools disciplining students myself. If schools were allowed to paddle and children knew there were actual penalties to be paid, I don't think our schools would be in such bad shape today. To many times parents pull the "my child would never", yeah right, well I took the attitude that my child probably did. Did them all good, just like it did me.

I guess I had it lucky...on the rare occasion that I got swatted at school, I would never get it again at home, because my mom said I had already been punished...although she did make me explain the error of my ways.

My dad, though, on the few occasions I'd fly out to see him, REALLY let me have it when I was bad. My mom's whippings were a joke in comparison.

My daughter has been going to a Christian Academy since she was in 3rd grade. She is now closing out 9th grade. Right before she began attending the school, they used to have a policy that if the transgression was of a certain ilk, the parents would be called to the school to "apply" the discipline.

We never spanked our kids, but thought I would pass along this info because I thought it was a great way for the school to exercise corporal punishment without being the ones who implemented it.

I definitely think that's the way it should be

Guest LadyC

i was being facetious LOL... i had my moments, i was just better at not getting caught than my brother! :24:

LOL...Don't get me wrong. I wasn't an unruly child, but even good kids can get into trouble sometimes.

For the most part, I was obedient and eager-to-please

edited to put my response OUTSIDE the quotes:

i was being facetious LOL... i had my moments, i was just better at not getting caught than my brother! :)

the female coach that was called in to administer the paddling gave her a swat on the rear that wouldn't have sent a fly into a tailspin it was so gentle. BUT, it was done in a glass-enclosed office, between classes. others saw. i've taken lots of flack for allowing my daughter to suffer such humiliation, but a little humiliation is good for the soul... and she never misbehaved in school again.
:24::):P

Mommy Power!