IGNORED

Why is the 'Church of Christ' sometimes called a cult?

graymousey

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

I agree with the spirit of your post. baprism should not be optional for believers. It is a step of discipleship that Jesus commanded. But it is also important to understand what role it plays in the redemptive process.

a "step of discipleship?"

*scratches head*

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Just because a person has been baptized into water does not mean they have been baptized into Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

Just because a person has been baptized into water does not mean they have been baptized into Christ.

You are correct

I agree with the spirit of your post. baprism should not be optional for believers. It is a step of discipleship that Jesus commanded. But it is also important to understand what role it plays in the redemptive process.

*scratches head*

What is problematic for you about this?

You are correct

*scratches head*

What is problematic for you about this?

sounds self glorifying.

im just wondering what scriptures did you read that give you the steps to follow to be the "optimal" disciple?

as far as scripture says...theres nothing that YOU can do.

its just another obstacle people feel they have to accomplish to pat themselves on the back.

if a pat on the back is what people need to help them with their walk then i guess that is good.

You are correct

• Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

Ok I am confused, but I will admit that I skipped some of the pages.

Does the CoC recognise the Baptism from a different Church. Fiosh gave the analysis of God establishing one Church and the Cahtolic Understanding of how all Christian churches fall into this through Jesus and the Holy Spirit. Yet I believe it was stated that this is not what the CoC teaches.

Is it the teaching of the CoC that only those Baptised in the CoC church will be saved, so If some one is Baptised in the Methodist, Luthern, Catholic, Baptist church, that doesn't count?

I would especially like to hear from Scarletprayer and Smallclad, I gather you are both attending the CoC church or have in the past.

God Bless,

K.D.

In thinking about Mark 16:16 a case has been made that it requires baptism for salvation. Here is the passage:

Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Mark 16:16 CSB

Apart from the question of the validity of this text from a text-critical perspective, lets look at the logic of the passage. Those who hold to baptismal regeneration use this logic:

Premise: The text says that the person who believes and is baptized will be saved

Premise: Person A believes but has not been baptized

Conclusion: Person A is not saved.

There is a logical fallacy in operation here called the fallacy of negative inference. Here is a clearer example of this fallacy in operation:

Everyone who is enrolled at University of Texas and moves into a dorm will be considered a student. Those who have not enrolled will not be considered UT students. (Same form as Mark 16:16)

Premise: People who enroll at UT and move into dorms are students.

Premise: Person A did not move into a dorm.

Conclusion: Person A is not a student at UT.

One can readily see the problem here. Person A may have enrolled at UT, but simply chosen not to live in the dorm. They are still a UT student, however. All the statement indicates is when a person enrolls and lives in the dorms they become student. It makes no statement about the person who enrolls but chooses not to live in a dorm, or about the person who lives in a dorm, but does not enroll. A further statment of clarification is need to establish that. We have that in the second phrase (Those who have not enrolled will not be considered UT students). So it is not the moving into the dorm that makes one a student. It is enrollment.

The passage (Mark 16:16) has the exact form as the example above. The first part of the passage says simply that those who believe and are baptized are saved. It does not define what happens to the person who believes and is not baptized, or is baptized and does not believe. The second part of the passage ("whoever does not believe will be condemned"), shows the actual requirment for salvation. It is belief.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  81
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  03/21/1990

You are correct