IGNORED

Why is the 'Church of Christ' sometimes called a cult?

graymousey

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

I have often heard other Christian groups refer to the 'Church of Christ' as a cult. I am wondering why, for I haven't found any valid reason so far. (I am not talking about the 'United Church of Christ' which is a completely different denomination).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

I don't believe it is a cult. It is a denomination that has differing interpretations of the Word of God. But to be called a cult, it would have to be teaching a doctrine that leads away from who Jesus is. While I don't believe that they are correct in teaching that baptism is a part of salvation, it does not point one away from Jesus Christ as the Saviour.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

There are as many definitions of cults as there are beliefs. to a cult your religion may be called a cult.

For me any group that says I can't receive salvation unless I belong to their group is a cult and at lest two of the many groups that call themselves church of Christ have told me that.

IHN \JB

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

"While I don't believe that they are correct in teaching that baptism is a part of salvation.."

Is there anything else where they stand against mainline Christianity?

"For me any group that says I can't receive salvation unless I belong to their group is a cult..."

I see. Is there anything else where they are different? Or it is only the Baptism question?

Edited by graymousey

• Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

There are as many definitions of cults as there are beliefs. to a cult your religion may be called a cult.

For me any group that says I can't receive salvation unless I belong to their group is a cult and at lest two of the many groups that call themselves church of Christ have told me that.

IHN \JB

You have a point. I remember beong told that I wasn't a Christian in their eyes because I had yet to be baptized. I never saw them trying to evangelize me, though, or invite me to their church. It seemed to be a closed club.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

I don't believe they are a cult. A whole bunch of Christian groups out there think that they are the only true way, so that is not unique in the least.

Certainly beliefs about baptism one way or the other do not make it a cult.

A cult has certain very distinct markers. You need one leader who usually holds power over the congregation, not vice versa, you have sleep deprivation, you have separation from all friends and family, you have a pressure to earn for the group, usually they discourage reading the bible outside of their own narrow interpretations, often they claim that only the leader can complete the bible and only the leader really understands the bible. There is often sexual impurity in the leadership, including fornication, multiple wives, etc. Not all cults have all of these things, these are just some red flags.

Cults are severe and stand out. Just being wrong on theology is not a cult.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

As I am aware, there are two organizations that go by the name "Church of Christ." One is a perfectly legit and doctrinally correct group of believers. The other is filled with doctrinal error and even heresy.

I have run across a few members of that group that is in serious error. Among other things they teach that music should not be played during worship (Instruments are of the devil), baptism is required for salvation; that all members should be baptized into the Church of Christ in order to attain salvation - no other baptism is recognized by this group; the name of the church is rightly "Church of Christ," and such a title proves the Church of Christ as God's church, His Body, on the earth; salvation can be lost, not just by virtue of having committed a sin, but also by leaving the Church of Christ organization: Salvation is only in the Church of Christ.

All of these very much contain cultist tendencies by controlling members of their group out of fear.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Lets see, the Baptist here vote on whether you can be baptized and be a member of their church, the Methodist say that you can be a practicing gay and be a member of the church, the Church of God around here knows pretty much nothing about the Bible all they know is the "feel good" message and their service is more like a frat party than worship. But the CoC that teaches speak where the Bible speaks and be silent where the Bible is silent, and believe you must be baptized to be saved is a cult............................right? NOT!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I don't believe they are a cult. A whole bunch of Christian groups out there think that they are the only true way, so that is not unique in the least.

Certainly beliefs about baptism one way or the other do not make it a cult.

A cult has certain very distinct markers. You need one leader who usually holds power over the congregation, not vice versa, you have sleep deprivation, you have separation from all friends and family, you have a pressure to earn for the group, usually they discourage reading the bible outside of their own narrow interpretations, often they claim that only the leader can complete the bible and only the leader really understands the bible. There is often sexual impurity in the leadership, including fornication, multiple wives, etc. Not all cults have all of these things, these are just some red flags.

Cults are severe and stand out. Just being wrong on theology is not a cult.

Like I said we all have our definition of cults.

that whoever believes in him may have eternal life. For God so loved the world,that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life

I don't see anything in there about belonging to any group. To teach other wise is to teach a faults doctrine.

How you define salvation is a sticking point with me and it is what determines what we define as a Christian or Non-Christian. Salvation does not come from joining a group.

Give in love

JB

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

So you'll go along with any group as long as they meet your definition of salvation....................?