IGNORED

Why is the 'Church of Christ' sometimes called a cult?

graymousey

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  42
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,545
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/27/1968

I worked with several Church of Christ folks in Nashville. What I found with them is that they are terrified to go to another church, beliving that theirs is the only true church. They don't believe in any sort of instruments in church and think other churches are sinning by having them, they believe you HAVE to be baptised or you will not be saved. Even one told me that if you are on your way to be baptised and die in a wreck, you will go to hell.

Despite all of these wacky rules, I didn't find any of them to have a relationship with Christ or behave in a Godly manner at all, they just went to their ritualistic church once a week.

Any church that teaches you have to do something other than believe in Jesus to be saved is a cult. Only Jesus saves, not baptism.

It's a cult.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

Despite all of these wacky rules, I didn't find any of them to have a relationship with Christ or behave in a Godly manner at all, they just went to their ritualistic church once a week.

It's a cult.

Wow! Could you generalize ALL the members of a denomination any more severly than that?

Have you personally met EVERY member of the Church of Christ? AND evaluated their relationship with Christ? AND judged whether they "behaved in a Godly manner".

Maybe its time to start working on that beam..... :whistling:

• Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

I worked with several Church of Christ folks in Nashville. What I found with them is that they are terrified to go to another church, beliving that theirs is the only true church. They don't believe in any sort of instruments in church and think other churches are sinning by having them, they believe you HAVE to be baptised or you will not be saved. Even one told me that if you are on your way to be baptised and die in a wreck, you will go to hell.

Any church that teaches you have to do something other than believe in Jesus to be saved is a cult. Only Jesus saves, not baptism.

It's a cult.

And your a Worthy Watchman............................... :whistling:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

It's a cult.

And your a Worthy Watchman............................... :taped:

You are correct wordsower. Any church or individual who believes that all who don't believe what they believe are going to hell is passing judgment on who does and who doesn't go to hell. Which is a judgment reserved only for God and a sin for us to do. That judgment alone is what seperates the COC (not the UCC) from the rest of Christiandom and makes it a cult.

Keep On Keepin On wordsower

Edited by Massorite

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Hi Massorite,.Just remember there are many groups and splinter groups that call themselves CoC and then there is the UCC. So please be a bit more specific as to which one you are referring to, for instance,

They believe that the Lords prayer is obsolete and they brain wash their people so that they will never visit any other denominational church or listen to any other doctrinal teachings whether they be wrong or right doctrine. One can not find another more closed minded group of people.

Which group are you referring to here, because I agree with Scarlet prayer. That sounds like a bunch of tripe to me. I have never heard of that before.

Hello Eric

I am always referring to the CoC not the UCC. I don't know much about the UCC. But I am going to find out more about them.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

It's a cult.

Reading Comprehension Please - this post is not generalizing!!! - i worked with several coc folks, what i found with them, Even one told me,

how is that generalizing anything :taped:

sorry to be so vehement, but this happens to me all the time too - how about a new worthy rule? if a post seems to be disagreeable, just try reading it thru one more time

It's a cult.

how is that generalizing anything :taped:

Mornin' Fraught,

Reading comprehension consists of more than merely understanding individual phrases in a literal manner. Advanced comprehension necessitates that one analyzes the import of the paragraph in its entirety.

If you look at the post as a whole, it's clear that the writer makes a connection between the few people he knows, and his/her evaluation of the Church of Christ as a cult. That is faulty logic.

I'm Catholic. I know plenty of Catholics that, frankly, are an embarassment to the RCC. I also know plenty of Lutherans who do not shed a positive light on their denom, etc.

I also know numerous Catholics who revere Jesus Christ and declare Him as Lord. If you knew them also, would that make Catholicism a "true" church in your eyes? :24:

In order to judge the degree to which a denom can be considered a "true" church, one must study their doctrine, teachings, "We Believe" statement, practices, etc. Wordsower does this to some degree, but hinges the argument on his/her assessment of a few members.

That was my point.

First of all, how can I truly know the relationship an individual has with Jesus. Yes, I can see their fruits. But I cannot see their deepest parts. I don't know the trials and hurts they've come thru to make them who they are. What I observe may or may not be as a result of what denomination they belong to.

I'm not a fan of the Church of Christ. But my opinion is based on a study of what they teach, not on the behavior of a few members. Fact is, I have a very dear friend who is CoC. She is a devoted Christian with a true heart for Jesus Christ.

In His Love,

Fiosh

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Fiosh, you might as well give up.............consider who is doing all the bashing, who cares.

• Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

Fiosh, you might as well give up.............consider who is doing all the bashing, who cares.

come on, how have i bashed anyone???

not only that but i don't have just a morbid curiosity about the subject - my aunt and uncle are members, my sister went with them for awhile and other family members have attended with them.

come on, how have i bashed anyone???

not only that but i don't have just a morbid curiosity about the subject - my aunt and uncle are members, my sister went with them for awhile and other family members have attended with them.

Not totally positive, but I don't think that was directed at you, Fraught.

:33: