• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

I am glad I am an Episcopalian so I don't have to check my brain at the door!!!

Oh yeah and just for the record I believe in Dinosaurs and Jesus- what a concept!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

There are some interpretations that say Genesis 1 and 2 are unique in that they aren't written like other historical passages (in Hebrew). It's more poetic and theological in its description. In other words, it was written to prove a point and not necessarily to describe how something happened.

It's hard to explain and I have no problem admitting that it's over my head. I have not studied interpretation enough to know the complete justification behind it. What I do know is of the authors I have read defending such a position, all believe the Bible is the Word of God and are very conservative in their interpretation.

Ultimately, it is not a salvation issue but simply an issue of interpretation.

If not Hebrew, what were Genesis 1 and 2 originally written in? You've caught my interest...

I'm a horrible writer.

I meant that the style in Hebrew writing is different. The style in other historical texts is different than Genesis 1 and 2, even within the Book of Genesis (prompting the popular JEDP theory...which I do not hold to and think is a HORRIBLE theory).

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

There are some interpretations that say Genesis 1 and 2 are unique in that they aren't written like other historical passages (in Hebrew). It's more poetic and theological in its description. In other words, it was written to prove a point and not necessarily to describe how something happened.

It's hard to explain and I have no problem admitting that it's over my head. I have not studied interpretation enough to know the complete justification behind it. What I do know is of the authors I have read defending such a position, all believe the Bible is the Word of God and are very conservative in their interpretation.

If not Hebrew, what were Genesis 1 and 2 originally written in? You've caught my interest...

I don't believe AK was suggesting that Genesis 1-2 was not written in Hebrew...it was. Rather he is implying that some biblical scholars find these 2 chapters do not exactly fit in with the rest of the historical records recorded in the Scriptures, hence the suggestion that they are closer to painting a general picture than recording events with historical accuracy.

I don't believe AK was suggesting that Genesis 1-2 was not written in Hebrew...it was. Rather he is implying that some biblical scholars find these 2 chapters do not exactly fit in with the rest of the historical records recorded in the Scriptures, hence the suggestion that they are closer to painting a general picture than recording events with historical accuracy.

Right, that's what I was saying. Just in a horrible and choppy manner.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  819
  • Content Per Day:  0.12

Oh yeah and just for the record I believe in Dinosaurs and Jesus- what a concept!

Thanks for that enlightening contribution.... :P

Okay...I see... So something about the artistic style of the writing suggests we start with a "tale" of sorts then move to literal historical accounts?

Okay...I see... So something about the artistic style of the writing suggests we start with a "tale" of sorts then move to literal historical accounts?

Exactly.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  828
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  12/28/1980

Thanks for that enlightening contribution.... :noidea:

Anything I can do to help.

Last time I checked the bible wasn't a science book.

And for you creation literalists - which creation story is true - gen. 1 or gen. 2?

Thanks for that enlightening contribution.... :noidea:

Anything I can do to help.

Last time I checked the bible wasn't a science book.

And for you creation literalists - which creation story is true - gen. 1 or gen. 2?

They aren't really different. I'm not a creation literalist at all, however, they are merely two different styles. Genesis 1 serves as an overview, or an outline. Genesis 2 discusses the specific act.

If someone gives merit to what science has to say when it comes to evolution are they lost? If not, why would Christians choose to fight about this issue when the issue of salvation through Christ is our main goal? Why take the risk of losing your chance to help someone find the path to salvation?

Do some Christians choose to protect the wrong message?

Are there majors and minors when it comes to the Christian message?

It seems the main question Jesus asked was, "Who do you say I am ?"

My old boss had saying "Kill 'em all but six and use them for pallbearers". Is that the approach we are taking at times? Jesus said, "Blessed are the peacemakers."

I truly am searching here. There's little sarcasm or pretense in my questions.

For the record, anyone who has been here long enough knows my position on evolution.

Another splinter group will form eventually. new type of Christians will up hold the new science laws while the old time Christians will fight for their survival. Both will call each other short to the kingdom of God.

Splinter group? Do you mean a denomination? I believe they already exist.

Call each other short of the kingdom of God? Assuming I understand what you mean by this, I think most Christians agree this is not a salvation issue. Please clarify what you are trying to say.