• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

Couple of days now since I bumped into something called "Baptism with the Holy Ghost"

I googled it and found it was a big controversy issue.

I must admit, I have never heard of this before and still am in the dark about it, or why it is such a controversy.

Can anyone enlighten me on this subject?

Hope this is not a "pandora's box"

In ACTS 1:5 & 8 specifically states that only the apostles would have the baptism of the Holy Spirit- but read all of this chapter of ACTS 8:14

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  0

I am what you may call charismatic, and I don't believe the way you have portrayed. I believe the Holy Spirit comes in and lives in you at salvation. Absolutely. He teaches and reveals truth to you, and reveals sin in your life, and helps you clean it up.

But there comes a time when one yields over fully to the Holy Spirit's control. (Most people don't give total control to Him at salvation.) At that time, He comes in and fills you to overflowing with His empowering presence, gifting you for the tasks ahead that He is calling you to...it's called anointing. Of the many gifts, one or several is your lot! Tongues will come, but not always at first, but it is the most readily noticeable gift...which is why it gets a lot of attention. It doesn't warrant all that attention for there are other useful and wonderful tools that the Lord blesses us with!

Oh, and btw...Eli, you've got your bible story mixed up.

sowy. dont believe in what yur saying.

Ephesians 1:

12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

i stand by scripture. thank you for your time though. :o

That's right. That's what we do. However, they were mistakken as drunk! I am sure they must have been acting strangely, maybe laughing a lot! I've seen that a few times!

not that they were literally drunk but were talking communicating amonst each other in their native languages.

read a little earlier in Acts 2:

8And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

people passing by didnt understand a word they all were saying.

when some one really wants to wow their studies they can piece that al these people were Jews and the people

not understanding were Gentiles. :o ... 3xR0c|<stAr

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

That's right. That's what we do. However, they were mistakken as drunk! I am sure they must have been acting strangely, maybe laughing a lot! I've seen that a few times!

not that they were literally drunk but were talking communicating amonst each other in their native languages.

9Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

when some one really wants to wow their studies they can piece that al these people were Jews and the people

Could it be that some in the crowd thought the Apostles were drunk because they suddenly appeared on the street proclaiming that a dead man had risen from the grave?

Could it be that some in the crowd thought the Apostles were drunk because they suddenly appeared on the street proclaiming that a dead man had risen from the grave?

I think it was demeanour that people were up in arms about. We all know what drunken people are like.

I am what you may call charismatic, and I don't believe the way you have portrayed. I believe the Holy Spirit comes in and lives in you at salvation. Absolutely. He teaches and reveals truth to you, and reveals sin in your life, and helps you clean it up.

But there comes a time when one yields over fully to the Holy Spirit's control. (Most people don't give total control to Him at salvation.) At that time, He comes in and fills you to overflowing with His empowering presence, gifting you for the tasks ahead that He is calling you to...it's called anointing. Of the many gifts, one or several is your lot! Tongues will come, but not always at first, but it is the most readily noticeable gift...which is why it gets a lot of attention. It doesn't warrant all that attention for there are other useful and wonderful tools that the Lord blesses us with!

Oh, and btw...Eli, you've got your bible story mixed up.

sowy. dont believe in what yur saying.

Ephesians 1:

12That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.

13In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,

i stand by scripture. thank you for your time though. :o

I stand by the Word as well. And perhaps for a bit longer than yourself. No need for you to be sorry.

they were Jews from various countries gathering in Jerusalem. you do know that the 120 are talking to the multitudes and the multitudes understand them.

The key point is that the multitudes are Jewish and this event is ONLY FOR THEM.

Acts 2

The Holy Spirit Comes

1 On the day of Pentecost[a] all the believers were meeting together in one place. 2 Suddenly, there was a sound from heaven like the roaring of a mighty windstorm, and it filled the house where they were sitting. 3 Then, what looked like flames or tongues of fire appeared and settled on each of them. 4 And everyone present was filled with the Holy Spirit and began speaking in other languages, as the Holy Spirit gave them this ability.

5 At that time there were devout Jews from every nation living in Jerusalem. 6 When they heard the loud noise, everyone came running, and they were bewildered to hear their own languages being spoken by the believers.

7 They were completely amazed.

thanks Axe :o

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

My Scriptural basis for suggesting this is found in Acts 2:22. After stating "these people are not drunk" and quoting a prophecy from Joel, he goes on to proclaim the Gospel saying, "This man...you killed, using lawless men to crucify Him. But God raised Him up."

I see nothing in Acts to suggest they behaved in anyway that caused them to appear drunk. Rather, Peter addresses the message they are proclaiming. If anyone can provide Scriptural evidence to the contrary please do so.