• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/11/1964

I'm trying to set up a bb forum on my church website.

I'm using Network Solutions. I have activated mySQL DB and have a

database name, user name and password. I have successfully logged into

mySQL DB from the network solutions hosting control panel.

I

uploaded all files to mydomain.com/htdocs/phpBB2. I changed the file

attributes for config.php to 666. I opened the install.php file in my

browser, then filled in the info.

when I hit "Start Install" I get the error message:

--------------------------------------------

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

--------------------------------------------

What should I try now? I'm thinking the I may have not fully set up my hosts database yet. There are no tables yet.

Thanks for any help!

Danny

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

666?

Nice number you have to use.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  469
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  09/21/1967

YOU may have created a username and database name, but have you added the username to the database? That is often the problem. Let me know if that works

EDit: You do not have to set up tables, that is what the install.php will do. you will have a Database though in which the tables willbe created. Database and Tables are two different things.

Jade, as for the 666 that is a CHMOD command, basiclly that is telling the file that owners, groups and others can read and run it

read = 4 write = 2 execute =1 Owner value is in hundreds coloum, user is in 10s and other units.

if you want someone to have just a read permission then obviously that is 4, read and write and execute that is a 7

so for owner to do all 3, user to reaed and write and others to read you would set the permision to 764

Edited by AndrewA

Guest LadyC

i'm very familiar with phpbb. may i make a helpful suggestion? DITCH IT. try smf instead (simple machines forum software). if you do ANY customization or add hacks and features into your phpbb, you'll have a nightmare on your hands every time you need to upgrade, which is frequently. it'll all have to be done by hand. with smf, it's just a click of a button from the admin control panel.

besides, phpbb gets compromised by outside hackers more frequently than most forum softwares... hence the frequent upgrades, which sometimes come as often as every couple of weeks. that's if you're lucky. if a month or two goes by before a new upgrade comes out, it's huge.

andrew, if your domain host doesn't have a one-click installation of smf available, here's the link to where you can download it.

simple machines

Are you muddling up my name and the OPs? Certainly I am aware that PHPBB has its more share of problems. I have obtained a reseller account from a very good company, in past they have sent me quite a few emails with latest secuirrty advice to and messages saying what changes willbe made acorss all servers to stop PHPBB leaks etc. I have CPanel, that I can offer with any accounts I set up, under this theres the very good fantastico auto install facility, you will be pleased to know that SMF is actully one of these listed, so yeah all i do is enter in a PW and username for the admin, click install and it does everything else.

Anyways I could talk website design and applications all night, but most of night has passed already i shoudl get some sleep!

Guest LadyC

oops, yep, i muddled. sorry!

i've almost always had cpanel and fantastico... and prefer linksky for hosting. personally i've gotten to where doing ANY web-work is a chore anymore. i have been meaning to update my church's website for over a month, and all i gotta do is change out the upcoming events!

that reminds me i need to update our church website, one day i will be allowed to totally redeisgn it I hope as it is not exactly very well done. Hardly any space for content for one.. but anyway i wont rant about it in public :24:

I guess A Missionary has solved the problem, or given up !

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/11/1964

Hey guys...Thanks for the replies. I can tell that you know much more than I do about websites. I made this webiste for our church...

Greenwood Baptist Church

The problem I had originally was that I was pointing to "localhost" instead of inputting the actual address...like 205.178.65.168 or something...

I added the message board and photo album from free php sites. I used a free HTML editor called Nvu and freeware Filezilla FTP. So all we had to pay for was the host site and Domain name.

I know it looks kinda cheezy...it's the best I could do. :whistling:

Anyway, I just wanted a simple board where the pastor could sort of "blog" or answer questions, and a place where anyone could put up church bulletins, announcments and what not. This board seems ok and easy for me to get around...plus it was easily skinable. The website is just basic info for anybody wanting to know more about us. We're a small church...about 125 on Sunday morning service.

Thanks for the replies...I was at my wits end when I posted. hahaha. :laugh:

Guest LadyC

cheesy? actually, i think the site looks very nice, especially for someone that doesn't have much experience! i really like the template you used. was it custom, or did you have to purchase it?