Emotional Adultery

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  77
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Nine out of ten affairs begin with an emotional attraction. It usually happens when a need that a spouse is not meeting begins to be met by another person of the opposite sex.

It may be far easier to have an emotional affair than you may realize. When you find yourself connecting with another person of the opposite sex as a substitute, you've started traveling a road that too often ends in adultery and divorce.

When these things are taking place, with someone of the opposite sex, it should be a huge warning ...

* You begin to talk about problems you are having with your spouse.

* You find it easier to unwind with someone other than your spouse over lunch, coffee or a ride home.

* You're dishonest with your spouse about things dealing with a person of the opposite sex.

* You've got a need you feel your mate isn't meeting (attention, approval, affection, etc), and someone else begins to fill that need.

* You rationalize that this new relationship with someone of the opposite sex is okay, because they are a Christian and they are helping you through a difficult time.

* You look forward to being with this person more than with your own mate.

* You hide your friendship from your mate.

So, how do you keep this from happening? Because of length of this post, the rest of the information is on my blog this morning. I hope you'll swing by.

Blessings,

Trey

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  01/27/1964

Yep. Trey is right on again. That's why your best friend must be your spouse, and your closest friends need to be the same sex as you are. This thing of wives having "best friends" of the opposite sex and vice versa is a problem waiting to happen. And a man who feels the need to be emotional with a woman other than his wife is a pathetic human being.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  857
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  01/04/1981

"And a man who feels the need to be emotional with a woman other than his wife is a pathetic human being."

Can I insert a hearty "amen" here? :)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

This is one of the reasons I think being friends before even dating a guy is REALLY important. My husband and I are best friends, we were best friends before we were together, and our relationship grew from there. I think it's much easier to start as friends than to try to cultivate friendship later (after that honeymoon phase is over).

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Yep. Trey is right on again. That's why your best friend must be your spouse, and your closest friends need to be the same sex as you are. This thing of wives having "best friends" of the opposite sex and vice versa is a problem waiting to happen. And a man who feels the need to be emotional with a woman other than his wife is a pathetic human being.

GLORY HALLELUJAH! Preach it brother!! :wub:

Ahem....thank you.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  12/11/1964

I can't agree more. I would have no business having a relationship with a woman, apart from my wife and I together being friendly with her. Same goes for my wife and a male friend. We have that agreement in our marriage. It takes the temptation away, it keeps everything out in the open and on the table, and makes our lives transparent to one another. Living your life like an open book before your spouse is a key. Secrets and private things lead to trouble.