Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  167
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

It's saying that man's rationality is vitally important because it has been given to us by God, but the cornerstone for this epistemology needs to be God's Holy Word.

Amen. :24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Do you see where your belief leads though? Believing that God is opposed to logic, we can then deny reality

Was it not you who said your faith is to destroy all humans? It stops being funny when you try to make a serious point out of what originated from "folly".

How do you know this? Again, if you cannot trust Scripture, then how can you say this with authority? How do you know that Jesus isn't made up and a few Jewish authors were trying to prove a moral lesson?

What exactly are you trying to prove here by continually twisting everything I say?

Jeremiah 31:33

33) "This is the covenant I will make with the house of Israel

after that time," declares the LORD.

"I will put my law in their minds

and write it on their hearts.

I will be their God,

and they will be my people.

You're using Scripture to justify your point. You cannot do this if you don't trust Scripture. I can easily come back and say this was simply Jeremiah's opinion.

You can. This, however, is written repeatedly all over the Bible and, again, must be read with Faith or it is useless knowedge.

I was taught that it was easier for a little child to enter the Kingdom of Heaven than a well versed man, why do you suppose that is?

You might have been taught that, but it's no where to be found in Scripture. In fact, it contradicts Scripture. I'll pay you $1,000 if you can find a verse in the Bible that says that a child has an easier time getting into Heaven than someone who is educated.

Mark 10:13-16

13)People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them.

14)When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.

15)I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

16)And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.

Since you didn't specify what age, and neither did Jesus, I won't hold you to that.

All faith does NOT stem from what you refer to as scriptures, it stems from the Word of God which can come from whomever God chooses, even a donkey, if God wanted. "As moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up..." When I accepted that, I became a child adopted by God, a Christian. Just as the Isrealites believed and were healed from the poisonous snake bites by looking at the snake, so I had been healed of my sin by looking up to the cross and believing on Jesus. I didn't know any of the dynamics at the time I believed, I didn't care.

So what if my view of God contradicts yours? You say that the "Word of God" can come from anyone, but this simply is not true. If it were, then we could say the Crusades were justified, as well as the Inquisition, the Witch Hunts, and other tragedy's simply because the "Word of God" came to those people at those times. Do you realize I could justify believe in all religions going to Heaven, committing genocide, or rape by what you're saying? I could do none of these if I believe in the inerrancy and total inspiration of Scripture.

That's where wisdom and discernment step into play, not to mention man's laws you seem to like breaking.

When Paul said, "all scripture is given by inspiration of God..."

Here, scripture(graphe <1124>) mean can mean 1 of 3 things(?):

1) a writing, thing written

2) the Scripture, used to denote either the book itself, or

its contents

3) a certain portion or section of the Holy Scripture

You're not going to win a debate on the Greek with me. :24: <----note the pride :24:

Paul states that all Scripture is given by inspiration of God. When graphe refers to a certain section, it is simply addressing a specific section. It does not nullify the idea of the entirety of scripture being inspired.

What you're refering to as "the entire scripture"(66 books) had not even been put together yet, at Paul's time.

Peter said "Paul, according to the wisdom given him". As we know, Peter was originally a fisherman. Paul was well educated in The Law. This is why God pulled Paul out of his path and set him up to teach in the first place, Paul was "well versed" to begin with in The Law and was a good -convincing- tool used by God, as were many of the prophets(some of those guys were pretty animated in their convincing). You say, "Paul elevated His epistles to the level of Scripture.", but where are the verses to back this claim?

If the 66 Books are inspired then they cannot have error as you originally asserted. To do so would mean God inspired error. If they are inspired then they have no error. If they they have errors then they are not inspired. The two are mutually exclusive concepts.

Likewise, the problem is with your understanding of theological epistemology. The reason we have commentaries on the Scriptures is because, being fallible, we have a difficult time understanding that which is inspired. The Bible is not an easy book to read. The core message is easy enough a child could understand it, but the whole of the Bible is so difficult that no amount of study can ever allow for complete comprehension. The commentaries, likewise, are not infallible or inspired - they are explanations of what people think about the scriptures. Though the Holy Spirit MUST be involved in this interpretation, there is no 100% epistemological test to tell if an interpretation is true or not. The more core the concept, the easier it is to understand if the interpretation is correct (such as the deity of Jesus Christ, salvation by faith alone, God's hand behind the creation of the world, etc).

Under your idea, I could write a book on why it's okay for husbands to beat their wives, claim it is inspired by God, and there is not a thing you could do to logically contradict what I'm saying.

Men have been so bold as to claim things worse than this. How else would such practices as witchburning and the like have polluted our history books.

"would mean God inspired error"

This is my whole point. God is perfection. God makes no mistakes. Man makes mistakes.

God made no mistakes when He wrote the Ten Commandments on tablets of stone.

He made no mistakes when He, in the form of Jesus, came down here and spoke in parables, KNOWING if He'd spoken plainly, man would have messed it up somehow. And just like it took a wise man(Paul) then to set the churches in order, according to the times they were in, so we can read the Bible and set our lives in order to meet Him one day. We can read the original commandments. We can believe that Jesus is the only Way to the Father and eternal life. We can abide by the rules Jesus Himself clarified -because- man always messed them up. Why else would God have had to come all the way down here and preach sermons, clarifying what men should already have known, having the Scriptures written down already, if man had them in perfect order. Are you trying to say Jesus was lying? The fact is that you DO need to read the Scriptures, old and new alike, guided by the Holy Spirit because that is the ONLY way to weed out man's opinionated commentary.

Otherwise, some OT verses like:

Psalm 137:8-9

8)O Daughter of Babylon, doomed to destruction,

happy is he who repays you

for what you have done to us-

9)he who seizes your infants

and dashes them against the rocks.

Doesn't really contradict this:

Ezekiel 18:23

23)Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD.

Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?

(Which, as you can plainly see, does.)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

It's saying that man's rationality is vitally important because it has been given to us by God, but the cornerstone for this epistemology needs to be God's Holy Word.

Amen. :21:

I agree, too. It seems to me that sound doctrine is received by the rational mind through reading God's Word. When we replace this with experience, or so-called revelation knowledge, in the form of dreams and visions and other mystical experiences, received subjectively, we are in danger of wandering into the realms of the imagination at best, and spiritual deception at worst. The human heart is "deceitful above all things". I have read some preposterous "prophecies" and "revelations" that individuals claim to have received direct from God, yet they contradict His Word. It is fashionable in some charismatic circles to urge people to leave their brains/rational minds at the church door and receive spiritually/experientially. I can't think of anything more dangerous especially for new Christians who are not yet grounded in the Word. This is the old heresy of gnosticism creeping into the church under the guise of "moving in the Spirit". It is the "mind of Christ" that we are to have, not some vague, touchy-feely, subjective experience.

In Jesus,

Ruth

Amen. :whistling:

I agree, too. It seems to me that sound doctrine is received by the rational mind through reading God's Word. When we replace this with experience, or so-called revelation knowledge, in the form of dreams and visions and other mystical experiences, received subjectively, we are in danger of wandering into the realms of the imagination at best, and spiritual deception at worst. The human heart is "deceitful above all things". I have read some preposterous "prophecies" and "revelations" that individuals claim to have received direct from God, yet they contradict His Word. It is fashionable in some charismatic circles to urge people to leave their brains/rational minds at the church door and receive spiritually/experientially. I can't think of anything more dangerous especially for new Christians who are not yet grounded in the Word. This is the old heresy of gnosticism creeping into the church under the guise of "moving in the Spirit". It is the "mind of Christ" that we are to have, not some vague, touchy-feely, subjective experience.

In Jesus,

Ruth

A perfect example of the faithlessness in today's world full of extrabiblical knowledge.

I don't believe anyone in this thread even has brought up having some sort of dream, vision or "touchy feely(whatever that is" experience. Unless you consider having faith outside of knowledge "heresy".

Hebrews 11:1 "...so that things which are seen are not made of things which do appear..."

There's no way to believe that verse with a faithless mindset.

In Jesus,

Ruth

A perfect example of the faithlessness in today's world full of extrabiblical knowledge.

I don't believe anyone in this thread even has brought up having some sort of dream, vision or "touchy feely(whatever that is" experience. Unless you consider having faith outside of knowledge "heresy".

Hebrews 11:1 "...so that things which are seen are not made of things which do appear..."

Sorry, I don't fully understand, I can be very slow, and I would hate to respond incorrectly to your post. Are you saying that my post is anperfect example of the faithlessness in today's world?

Also, I wasn't suggesting that anyone on this thread had brought up extra-Biblical visions etc, rather that if we devalue the place of reason in favour of experience, we leave ourselves open to deception.

The verse from Hebrews that you quote is a wonderful testimony to faith - but it never suggests that we should believe that which has not already been verified in Scripture.

In Jesus

Ruth

In Jesus,

Ruth

Sorry, I don't fully understand, I can be very slow, and I would hate to respond incorrectly to your post. Are you saying that my post is anperfect example of the faithlessness in today's world?

Also, I wasn't suggesting that anyone on this thread had brought up extra-Biblical visions etc, rather that if we devalue the place of reason in favour of experience, we leave ourselves open to deception.

The verse from Hebrews that you quote is a wonderful testimony to faith - but it never suggests that we should believe that which has not already been verified in Scripture.

In Jesus

Ruth

Actually, that verse was written before "Scriptures" as we know them(The Holy Bible, 66 books), and every example Paul states in that chapter was an example of faith without foreknowledge. Only a direct command from God Himself.

In Jesus,

Ruth

In Jesus

Ruth

Actually, that verse was written before "Scriptures" as we know them(The Holy Bible, 66 books), and every example Paul states in that chapter was an example of faith without foreknowledge. Only a direct command from God Himself.

Are you suggesting, then, that there is an ongoing revelation of God's Word and that Scriptures are still being written? I'm just trying to discover where you are coming from because I'm not sure and do not want to respond in an unhelpful fashion.

Ruth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  146
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

And so this ongoing revelation you are having None, does it nullify God's word which is clear on certain matters? Including scripture such as this? So therefore only certain parts of God's word apply? :whistling:

Genesis 2:18 (King James Version)

18And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.

Genesis 2:23 (King James Version)

23And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Timothy 2:9-14 (King James Version)

9In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

10But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

11Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

12But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

13For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

14And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

1 Corinthians 11:3 (King James Version)

3But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Ephesians 5:22-33 (King James Version)

22Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

23For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

24Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

28So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

30For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

33Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence her husband.

Colossians 3:18-21 (New International Version)

Rules for Christian Households

18Wives, submit to your husbands, as is fitting in the Lord.

19Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.

20Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord.

21Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged.

Titus 2:3-5 (King James Version)

3The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;

4That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,

5To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

1 Peter 3:1-7 (King James Version)

1Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;

2While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear.

3Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

4But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

5For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:

6Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

7Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.