IGNORED

Fasting

Guest Break Down the Wall

Guest Break Down the Wall

I was told recently by someone in my church that it is Jewish custom to begin fasting not with the beginning of the day, but with the end of it...so for example if I was planning on starting to fast from Monday until Monday, that I would cease eating at sundown the first Monday and not resume until sundown the next Monday.

However, upon looking this up, I found conflicting reports around the internet....and was wondering if any of our Jewish brothers or sisters here could shed some light on the situation, and preferably ASAP. :emot-hug:

God bless!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Several times in the Scriptures we read that "(so and so) fasted until sundown...." So it appears many fasts commenced during daylight hours.

Jewish custom counts the new 'day' as beginning with sundown, so just as we might say we are fasting 'today' when we get up in the morning, a Jew might say he's fasting 'today' immediately after supper!

Frankly, I don't think God cares one way or the other what hour we begin our fasting.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

Fasting is a sacrifice. Sacrificing a fleshly lust as a "gift offering" to God. You could sacrifice("fast") one our of sleep per night for a week or your favorite tv show...etc.

Daniel sacrificed lotion. It's more about giving up something you really like or need, in order to show God He means more to you than what you're giving up. God knows what you like -or- what isn't a real sacrifice. I've gotten more answered prayers just waking up one hour early in the morning time and spending it with Him. :)

Daniel 10:3

3)I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips;

and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  92
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/09/1982

Isaiah 58

The only chapter I can find on fasting