artsylady

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.20
  • Days Won:  0

How so? What I'm asking you is, if you don't believe in democracy, why do you think Iraq and Afghanistan need it and also pointed out that it is basically being forced on them.

Where did I say they needed it? Where did I say I don't believe in democracy?

I said democracy only works if the public holds to the same, or a true, moral consensus. Democracy can only work when the public agrees to a moral consensus - this will be harder to do in Muslim countries and I think it's a horrible idea to try and implement it by force.

Getting back to the point, you said a majority of people agree with her about the war. I asked why it matters. Your non-nonsensical response was, "Well, isn't this a democracy?"

If I go ahead and take a serious approach to what you're saying, then I simply point out that a democracy has no affect on the truthfulness of ethics - that is, democracy is a political function for what law society deems best, but it does not affect our epistemology or how we view morals. Thus, just because a majority say something is okay or agree with something, does not mean that concept is correct. Even if a majority of America agrees with Rosie, this does not give her the moral high ground, nor does it establish any measure of truth. When discussing the epistemological view of truth, "majority" means nothing.

I should also add - we're not "cramming democracy down the throat" of Afghanistan. That wasn't our purpose in invading them - they were directly responsible for the attacks of 9/11, thus, they were invaded and rightly so. Even the most liberal of democrats that still show some resemblance of thought agree with this assessment. Though we are instituting democracy after our massive and glorious victory there, it was not our initial reason for invasion. As for instituting democracy, it is all we know...and thus far all nations who have been whipped by us have enjoyed the benefits of losing to the US (Germany, Japan, et al). If I were a nation in trouble, with a fractured society, Id' want the US to invade me.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LadyC

forgiven1

yeah, well those are fightin' words. so if you're not looking for a fight, QUIT PICKING THEM.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63
  • Days Won:  0

Vickilynn said

Pro-Bush, flag-waving patriotism is WRONG?

Well, Bush is wrong and the war is wrong so I would say yes, it's wrong, especially for Christians who should be folowing Christ not worldly governments and their wars in pursuit of hegemony.

Shalom,

Are you a Christian? Do you live in America?

The Bible says we are to honor our leaders. And I am PROUD to be a Flag-waving Patriot and proud to live in America. And others who feel the same way are not wrong. If that bothers you, you'll have to get over it. :emot-highfive:

If someone doesn't like America, they are free to leave.

Vickilynn said

You're not looking for a fight yet you bash those who hold opposing views as yourself?

I didn't bash anybody, just beliefs, ideas, and actions. If you want to see that as personal that's up to you.

Of course you bashed people who HOLD those beliefs. You called everyone who believes differently than yourself wrong.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

This has really veered from the intent of the OP. I am closing it