• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  69
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  857
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  01/04/1981

I am in the process of revamp-ing my current kitchen. Today I have been slaving away with a paint roller in hand. As I was painting I noticed that some of the cabinets have red paint on them...which I assume is one of the colors underneath the 27 other colors that are already on the one due to previous owners.

On one of the cabinets, there is a pretty large area of paint...it looks like somebody spilled paint, and then tried to wipe it up, but didn't get it all, and then it dried.

Is there any way to remove dry paint from a surface? Would paint thinner or paint remover work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

;)

I am in the process of revamp-ing my current kitchen. Today I have been slaving away with a paint roller in hand. As I was painting I noticed that some of the cabinets have red paint on them...which I assume is one of the colors underneath the 27 other colors that are already on the one due to previous owners.

On one of the cabinets, there is a pretty large area of paint...it looks like somebody spilled paint, and then tried to wipe it up, but didn't get it all, and then it dried.

Is there any way to remove dry paint from a surface? Would paint thinner or paint remover work? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

:emot-questioned:

You can either buy spray-on or brush-on paint remover, but it is messy and make sure anything you want to remove the paint from is done OUTSIDE OR IN A WELL-VENTILATED AREA. This stuff is caustic, messy and dangerous. You can also get a heat gun that is used specifically for removing paint. It kind of melts it and then you scape it off. Once again, there are fumes involved. There is really no easy way to remove paint. I am in the process of rebuilding a brick wall in the garage of the house my wife and I just bought and I am finding there is no easy way to do brick-work. . . :noidea:

You're not joking! I figured I'd start with the "easy" stuff first...painting. I mean how hard could it be to roll some liquid onto a wall? Geesh! The painting isn't so bad, it's the "discoveries" I am making along the way. Along one wall, the cabinets don't quite meet the wall...there is a slight gap...I'm pretty sure these cabinets are not original to the house, they look pre-fab. But on the wall, where the gap is...I can see wallpaper that looks circa 1920's. Why is it just sitting there with no paint on it? There is blood red paint on the cabinets...I'm hoping it's paint and the mob didn't once reside in my kitchen. Horrible. Oh well...I guess when we take the work into our own hands, this is what we end up with. No wonder the painting crew in town gets paid a nice fee...

kilz. instead of trying to remove it, why not kilz over it?

I used kilz on the wall before I started painting with the color I wanted. If you kilz the wall first, you end up with the color you want on the walls...usually.

The cabinets are white, however the kilz is whiter. So I'd end up with the same problem, but instead of red blotches, I'd have white blotches. Though the more I look at it, the more I think kilz might be a good temporary fix! :emot-questioned:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  4
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  01/15/1986

paint thinner should work but on a small cloth so as to not remove massive sections of paint

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

:huh:

If the surface that has the unwanted paint is tile, formica, or Corean you can wet it down with water and scrape it off gently after about a half an hour. That is if the paint is latex. If it's an oil-based paint you will have to use paint remover. And yes, it requires a lot of ventilation and GLOVES! ;)

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  01/27/1964

Did you try Binn primer? Kilz is really good, but in my first house, a real fixer upper way back in the olden days, I don't think Kilz was around, and I used Binn primer on my kitchen wall, cabinets and counter tops. Being cheap, rather than replace, I figured to paint it all. It covered all the old paint and none of it bled through the new paint. And some of the old paint was hideous...bright greens, reds, browns. Just gross.