US court rejects FCC broadcast decency limit

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  1

Maybe, but I am sick and tired of "freedom" meaning indecency and immorality.

But you see thats the catch with freedom. Freedom requires some tolerance. In a free society, you have to tolerate the immoral and the indecent at times. You don't have to like it. You don't have to agree with it. You don't have to look at it or watch it. However, you do have to accept that in a free society, an individual is free to live their life the way they choose to and to conduct themselves how they wish so long as their actions do not impede the ability of others to do the same. Legislating morality is a form of totalitarianism.

That is not how tolerance works, or at least not how it should work.

Tolerance is simply the ability to peacebly co-exist with those whom we disagree with. If a person wants to behave a certain way in the privacy of their homes or other certain venues created for that type of behavior, then tolerance means that I allow them to live that way without them having to live in fear that I will attempt to cause them problems or do them harm.

However, the public TV airwaves are different. Everyone who watches the main network broadcasters is watching the same programs. Not everyone appreciates smut and foul language being thrown in their face. I mean it is not enough that this stuff is found on many of the cable channels.

What I see you advocating is a one-sided form of tolerance. Either I have to sit while they whore around on TV and use disgusting language, OR I can just turn off the TV. It's their way or no way. Tolerance cuts both ways, buddy.

Actually, you can just turn the channel. The only reason why networks broadcast indecent crap is that evidently a lot of people want to see it. If people did not want to see it, then they would not show it. After all, its all about ratings and the bottom line with them.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

Maybe, but I am sick and tired of "freedom" meaning indecency and immorality.

But you see thats the catch with freedom. Freedom requires some tolerance. In a free society, you have to tolerate the immoral and the indecent at times. You don't have to like it. You don't have to agree with it. You don't have to look at it or watch it. However, you do have to accept that in a free society, an individual is free to live their life the way they choose to and to conduct themselves how they wish so long as their actions do not impede the ability of others to do the same. Legislating morality is a form of totalitarianism.

That is not how tolerance works, or at least not how it should work.

Tolerance is simply the ability to peacebly co-exist with those whom we disagree with. If a person wants to behave a certain way in the privacy of their homes or other certain venues created for that type of behavior, then tolerance means that I allow them to live that way without them having to live in fear that I will attempt to cause them problems or do them harm.

However, the public TV airwaves are different. Everyone who watches the main network broadcasters is watching the same programs. Not everyone appreciates smut and foul language being thrown in their face. I mean it is not enough that this stuff is found on many of the cable channels.

What I see you advocating is a one-sided form of tolerance. Either I have to sit while they whore around on TV and use disgusting language, OR I can just turn off the TV. It's their way or no way. Tolerance cuts both ways, buddy.

Actually, you can just turn the channel. The only reason why networks broadcast indecent crap is that evidently a lot of people want to see it. If people did not want to see it, then they would not show it. After all, its all about ratings and the bottom line with them.

Turn the channel to what? If they should be allowed to use foul language as a matter of freedom, then what channel do we turn that is free of vulgarity?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  1

Turn the channel to what? If they should be allowed to use foul language as a matter of freedom, then what channel do we turn that is free of vulgarity?

I don't a just a ton of T.V., but I do watch Discovery, Animal Planet, A&E sometimes, The Office, Lost, and some nights The Daily Show. Of those, the only one that has much in the way of vulgarity is sometimes The Daily Show, but with it, you know what you are going to get up front. There are plenty of options out there.

Oh!

O.K.

As long as The Courts hold to the same standards of behavior and language in The Courtroom as they allow in the public forms then maybe it is a tolerance issue. Then again.......

:24::24::24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

I would suggest that what we need are Christians willing to make a stand in Hollywood, and in the TV medium. We need Christian broadcasters out there providing a wholesome, entertaining option to take the place of the crap that's out there... not TBN. Not preaching to people 24/7 ... but some real entertainment options that promote Christian values, and don't settle for mediocrity in the name of Christ.

:)

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The trouble though is how are you going to make this happen?

Let's look at some of the movies I can think of off the top of my head that have been produced by Christians.

The X-Men movies

Fantastic 4 (first one)

Batman 3

Were they free of foul language? No.

Were they suitable for children? With the violence content - no.

Bruce Almighty

OK, it had a good message in the end, but Bruce's Christian girlfriend was having pre-marital sex with him.

Christian TV?

That '70's Show executively produced by a Christian? Do I need to describe how vile that program is?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  01/27/1964

But about:

Because of Winn Dixie

Superman Returns

Rocky Balboa

You'll find something wrong in each of those movies if you look hard enough, but you will also find strong morality and pro Biblical themes. Look, Nebula, you are looking for something that will not happen until the Lord comes back. We live in a fallen world and this world is not our home. We are not supposed to get real comfortable during our time here. That doesn't mean we can't enjoy the good things of the world, but we must live our lives with an eye on our real home, the Kindgom.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Birthday:  02/18/1978

The trouble though is how are you going to make this happen?

Let's look at some of the movies I can think of off the top of my head that have been produced by Christians.

The X-Men movies

Fantastic 4 (first one)

Batman 3

Were they free of foul language? No.

Were they suitable for children? With the violence content - no.

Bruce Almighty

OK, it had a good message in the end, but Bruce's Christian girlfriend was having pre-marital sex with him.

Christian TV?

That '70's Show executively produced by a Christian? Do I need to describe how vile that program is?

Well, then, arguably, they aren't standing up for what's right. You can do it. They just aren't. This certainly doesn't prove the need for a law. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I have to give you guys credit for being slick in this debate.

Unfortunately, trying to offer comfort doesn't come off well when used amidst trying to argue a case. You have no idea what it like to be 11 years old and the brunt end of your classmates jollies day in and day out.

And now that you have offered your solution, and I rebutted that, your answers may rebutt my argument, but if I evaluate these responses, they make a better case to prove my point that Christians influencing the media is failing big time. They are not succeeding any more than Christians' attempts at boycotting.

It amazes me how people cannot see how clearly Hollywood has purposely been pushing liberalism andimmorality through its programming to make it more and more acceptable and preferable to society. I was a Christian in the '80's, and I watched Hollywood get away with slipping a little in here and a little in there until now it is the norm. If you do not believe this was an agenda, then I would have to say you have not been paying attention too well, nor listened to the things many of the Hollywood elite are saying.

Now, as for the OP, if you can convince me that the Holy Spirit is pleased with the outcome of the court's decision, I may reconsider my position.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  499
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Birthday:  01/27/1964

Well, to be honest I am not sure the Holy Spirit is all that interested in the Court's decision. I don't mean to be flippant, and please don't misquote me, but I am pretty sure the Lord is far more concerned about how we as believers are living our lives in a fallen world than with how the fallen world is living. This world, though created by God, is under the temporary dominion of Satan, so I am reasonably sure God already knows what to expect from those in bondage to the world's system.

I feel as though somehow you are missing this. Are you wanting "convert" the whole country to our way of thinking, from the top down, legislatively? You must know this goes against the teaching of Scripture that clearly tells us what the last days will be like.

You have reasoned yourself into a corner nobody can get out of. In your view, the world must be dark and awful. For those of us not caught up in Hollywood, who control what we see and hear, the world has much good in it. I'm sorry you can't see that.