Hilton Sent Back to Jail in Hysterics

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0

How could she get so much time off for good behavior when she'd been there such a short time? Doesn't she have to show some good behavior for a while first?

How will all her ranting and crying and hysterics reflect on her behavior?

Jails are VERY overcrowded. People are routinely released or given lesser sentences because of this issue. When a person is arrested, one of their first questions is OFTEN, "how crowded is the jail?" Because somewhat experienced jailbirds know that the more crowded a jail...the more likely they will be released. Paris was given time for good behavior because she adhered to certain judges orders, including showing up to her court dates. This is not at all unusual. Michelle Rodriguez (most recently from LOST) was sentenced to 60 days after a DUI arrest...she was released after just a few hours.

I should also point out that this is not a "rich people" phenomenom. We just hear about celebrity cases more often. It is quite likely that having Paris in the jail is quite a burden for an overcrowded and understaffed jail.

Also...Paris is in Jail for alcohol related reckless driving. That is NOT a DUI, it is a lesser charge. A "normal" person would serve a day in jail (24 hrs) and receive court ordered alcohol-related counselling. Paris was given 3 years probation, $1500 in fines, and alcohol education (to be paid by her)...and her license was suspended. Then she is pulled over and receives a ticket for "driving on suspended license" that is a misdemeanor traffic ticket. Again, you can be arrested for it, but at most it is only until you see a judge (usually within 24 hours...its the law) who sets up a court date.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that this judge isn't using Paris Hilton. Yes, she broke the law, and she should be punished. However, her punishment should NOT BE greater than what the average person gets. She got 3 yrs probation, a criminal record, 45 days in jail...for two traffic tickets. It is not reasonable to assume that ANYONE would be jailed for 23 days (or 45) for a first offense of these charges.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

How could she get so much time off for good behavior when she'd been there such a short time? Doesn't she have to show some good behavior for a while first?

How will all her ranting and crying and hysterics reflect on her behavior?

Jails are VERY overcrowded. People are routinely released or given lesser sentences because of this issue. When a person is arrested, one of their first questions is OFTEN, "how crowded is the jail?" Because somewhat experienced jailbirds know that the more crowded a jail...the more likely they will be released. Paris was given time for good behavior because she adhered to certain judges orders, including showing up to her court dates. This is not at all unusual. Michelle Rodriguez (most recently from LOST) was sentenced to 60 days after a DUI arrest...she was released after just a few hours.

I should also point out that this is not a "rich people" phenomenom. We just hear about celebrity cases more often. It is quite likely that having Paris in the jail is quite a burden for an overcrowded and understaffed jail.

Also...Paris is in Jail for alcohol related reckless driving. That is NOT a DUI, it is a lesser charge. A "normal" person would serve a day in jail (24 hrs) and receive court ordered alcohol-related counselling. Paris was given 3 years probation, $1500 in fines, and alcohol education (to be paid by her)...and her license was suspended. Then she is pulled over and receives a ticket for "driving on suspended license" that is a misdemeanor traffic ticket. Again, you can be arrested for it, but at most it is only until you see a judge (usually within 24 hours...its the law) who sets up a court date.

You'll have a hard time convincing me that this judge isn't using Paris Hilton. Yes, she broke the law, and she should be punished. However, her punishment should NOT BE greater than what the average person gets. She got 3 yrs probation, a criminal record, 45 days in jail...for two traffic tickets. It is not reasonable to assume that ANYONE would be jailed for 23 days (or 45) for a first offense of these charges.

Are you sure about this, Axxman? I was under the impression that she was driving under the influence, and the 2 times prior she was charged with reckless driving.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  580
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

I find it interesting that there is so much focus on "her", and not one word being said by anyone about the hundreds of other inmates right there beside her... :huh:

As far as I go, her punishment is just that... Punishment. Just like all the others in there with her...

I pray for them ALL. They need Jesus, that's all. Jail isn't the end of the world, but it just may be enough to give her something else to think about... Maybe not... But I pray the best...

We are talking about her because it was her story that made the headlines.

I think the argument is whether her punishment fits the crime. Personally, I think drunk driving is a HUGE deal, and even if the charge was alcohol-related reckless driving, she was still intoxicated, and should be punished.

I guess the reason I feel so bad for her is, not because I think she's being treated unjustly, but because she is obviously pretty shaken, and her predicament is being plastered all over the media...like that picture of her sobbing. WHY do we have to see that?! If I were going through something traumatic, I wouldn't want my crying face plastered everywhere and mocked by everyone and their mother. No matter who the person is, there is no need for that.

No one wants to go to prison, but I can imagine that if it were me, I could certainly tough it out, just because I've led a rather rough and painful life....and I would, to a certain degree, know what to expect.

Now, imagine you are Paris Hilton....you have been raised with every luxury and comfort, and without a single hard day in your entire life. You have been spoiled, pampered, and raised with a certain set of ideals...namely, that mommy and daddy are powerful, and can get you, and get you out of, anything. Your entire life consists of nothing but lush and posh, then suddenly....BAM, you're going to jail, and no one can do a darned thing about it!!!

I'm not saying that her punishment is undeserved, but I'm just saying that I feel bad for her because she is basically being knocked into reality the hard way, and is inexplicably experiencing a MAJOR culture shock...and yes, I DO think it's overloading her psyche.

While it's true that this is a relatively short sentence, and that she'll get out in no time, it still must be pretty devastating for her. But then again, when your parents raise you with a sense of naivete and ignorance, you are bound to be without character and integrity, as she unquestionably is.

Heck, she'll probably end up getting free publicity and a book deal out of it, but that's in the future.

Right now, she's having to deal with the fact that her vain, conceited, one-sided worldview isn't actually reality, and that her lofty ride on her high horse just took a major fall. She is having to come to some harsh self-realization....and hopefully, God will speak to her through this. The way she was living, I'm thinking that this may be the only way He could get through to her.

I believe the saying is that the bigger you get, the harder you fall....and she undoubtedly has fallen pretty hard. I really pray that the Lord speaks to her through this, because boy, does she ever need Him!!!

Guest LadyC

i figure it this way. the MAX sentence she could have got would have been 90 days... double what she actually got. so i don't see why people think the sentence was too harsh.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

I'm softening from my original position - after doing a little research (don't worry, it was only about five minutes...I'd never put much time into something like this), I found that her sentence was a little excessive given what most people get, so it does seem as if she was targeted a bit. Regardless, I don't have a problem with her being sent back.

Guest LadyC

difference is, while it may be excessive for a first offense, is it really excessive for a third offense while on probation after the first one, plus disrespecting the court and the judge as she did when she was first sentenced? i don't think so.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  3,292
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

i figure it this way. the MAX sentence she could have got would have been 90 days... double what she actually got. so i don't see why people think the sentence was too harsh.

Max sentences are guidelines. The reason the punishment was too harsh (at least to me) is because it doesn't fit the crime. Her original crime was driving recklessly influenced by alcohol. What that means is she had A drink. According to court documents she had "a beverage" not plural. That is why the charge was reduced. Granted, she still had a drink...but I'd wager that most people don't realize it is illegal to have even ONE drink and get behind the wheel of a car. She messed up... she should be punished...but a 45 day sentence for two first offense traffic violations is beyond the pale, IMO.

There is NO reason I can think of (besides a personal vendetta against celebs or the wealthy) that a first offense traffic violation draws 3 yrs probation, 2 fines, and a suspended license. I think she was right to fire her lawyer, because its almost criminal that he told her that was a good plea bargain. If she had been found guilty at trial she would have gotten a fine.

difference is, while it may be excessive for a first offense, is it really excessive for a third offense while on probation after the first one, plus disrespecting the court and the judge as she did when she was first sentenced? i don't think so.

Yes, it is still excessive. She should never have been given her original sentence. It was the probation itself that was excessive. Who gets put on probation for their first ever criminal traffic ticket. Its almost laughable. In my state, driving more than 20mph over the limit is a criminal traffic violation (reckless driving). You don't get put on 3 yrs probation for that. 3rd, 4th, 5th ticket of a criminal nature...sure. Not your first ticket. And don't get me started on DSL...it is the bane of my existence. A suspended license is criminal...its a hefty fine...but its nowhere near 45 days in jail. I don't even see how a rational person can think that a 45 day sentence is appropriate for such a petty offense.

Jails are overcrowded and under-staffed...I think we can find better ways of dealing with traffic offenses (especially first offenses) than burdening an already stretched system.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

She was acting like she couldn't be bothered with following the law--it was interfering with what she wanted to do, and she was above that, so she didn't give it a second thought. Besides, Mommy and Daddy would get her out of anything that happened.

Guest lovinghim4ever
Maybe God is trying to get her attention. Remember, to get Saul's undivided attention God had to knock him smooth off of his horse and blind him for a period of time. Well, Paris has been knocked off of her high horse, but maybe she'll see the light before blinding her is necessary. So, NO, the punishment is NOT excessive!

She needs to thankful, because if this were an unfamous person they would have to be serving those three years in jail instead of on probation; especially after violating the probation in the first place. I can't understand why everyone thinks this is excessive punishment; especially after multiple offenses for someone who was driving reckless under the influence of alcohol. What if she would have hit someone and caused major bodily damage, or (God forbid) killed someone? I bet the family of such injured people wouldn't be thinking her punishment was so excessive; and neither would anyone else. She was on probation. She violated that probation. She must suffer the consequences of her actions; just like anyone else would have to. Even still, she needs lots and lots of prayer . . .

Lord, please speak to Paris through all of this before she causes any more hurt to herself or anyone else. May her eyes be open to the reality that You want her to see. Please open the eyes of her parents to see that Paris needs more help than they are able to give her. Please open the eyes of everyone involved to see that they all need You. In Jesus' Name!

:24::o :o

;):wub::emot-hug:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.23
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

One good thing about this is she will be forced to think about something besides parties, hair, makeup, nails, and jewelry, with all the time she'll have on her hands.