Matthew 18

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21
  • Days Won:  0

If you're going to send someone a PM pointing out all the flaws you see in that person, make sure you don't have that person blocked, or that you are receiving PM's.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

If you're going to send someone a PM pointing out all the flaws you see in that person, make sure you don't have that person blocked, or that you are receiving PM's.

I don't know who your referencing here AK, but it happens alot. Somebody sends you a nasty, hateful PM, but when you try to respond they have you blocked. Talk about cowardly and un-Christian. And you can't go back to a thread and say anything because then they report you and YOU look like the aggressor. They do it that way on purpose, that way they can look all sweetness and light to everybody else..................unless your the one that rec'd the pm. Forward the pm to a Mod and put them on block, why suffer mean spirited, arrogant people. I think they should have their pm'ing and blocking privileges taken away. Maybe if they had to live with the consequences of their actions they would be more careful.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

I read a poem some years ago that offers one perspective of success.

One of the stanzas says, "...to win the respect of intellegent people and the affection of children; to earn the respect of honest critics and endure the berayal of false friends..."

Joel, why would you even care to respond unless there is some truth to the criticism? :noidea: If there is, learn from it. If there isn't, ignore it. Either way, sometimes it is best to to just walk away. Someone who blocks communication is NOT an honest critic. ;) It even happens to those of us who moderate the boards. :o:laugh:

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  679
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know who your referencing here AK, but it happens alot. Somebody sends you a nasty, hateful PM, but when you try to respond they have you blocked. Talk about cowardly and un-Christian. And you can't go back to a thread and say anything because then they report you and YOU look like the aggressor. They do it that way on purpose, that way they can look all sweetness and light to everybody else..................unless your the one that rec'd the pm. Forward the pm to a Mod and put them on block, why suffer mean spirited, arrogant people. I think they should have their pm'ing and blocking privileges taken away. Maybe if they had to live with the consequences of their actions they would be more careful.

I find it really difficult to believe that such backbiting is extant at Worthy - I have had nothing but encouraging PM's. I'm so sad to hear that this happens. All I can offer is: let Jesus-in-you do the talking. And thank you to all those beloved brothers and sisters who have PM'd words of encouragement to me.

Blessings in Jesus,

Ruth

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Joel, why would you even care to respond unless there is some truth to the criticism? :24: If there is, learn from it. If there isn't, ignore it. Either way, sometimes it is best to to just walk away. Someone who blocks communication is NOT an honest critic. :24: It even happens to those of us who moderate the boards. :21::21:

Well. . . If it was nasty PM, and it was un-true, I would want to write back and defend myself, I think that that is human nature. Not that it would do any good, but it is never fun to be told you are doing something bad or wrong when you know that you are not, and then have no way to refute it.

That's the point. Why does it matter? :b: We as believers and followers of the Way are no longer of this world. Our human nature should be set aside for a more perfect nature. Regardless, I have always found it curious that so many people feel they have to defend themselves from criticisms received from people they do not know or do not like. :21: As I have often told my wife and children, do not allow others to rob you of your JOY. Only respond to those criticisms coming from people you respect or from those who may have a glint of insight. Otherwise, live above the fray and ignore the junk. :emot-wave:

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Shalom,

If someone writes you a PM according to Matthew 18, you should prayerfully consider if it has merit because that person is following the Word of G-d. You should take what they say to the L-rd, not the person who wrote to you and not to your buddies.

IF however, you receive a plain ol' nasty or rude PM you should pray for that person, forgive that person, let the Moderators know about it and leave it in the hands of the L-rd. Again, you do not need to reply to the person, that only makes things worse.

There are good reasons for people to block others and that is because of harassment. If you feel someone is harassing you in PM, you should block them. Also, you can always let the Mods know if you are being harassed.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  366
  • Content Count:  10,933
  • Content Per Day:  1.57
  • Days Won:  1

We labor, working with our own hands. When we are reviled, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it;

1 Corinthians 10:5 HCSB

When reviled, He did not revile in return; when suffering, He did not threaten, but committed Himself to the One who judges justly.

1 Peter 2:23 HCSB

These are hard verses for me to apply

• Topic Count:  331
  • Content Count:  8,713
  • Content Per Day:  1.21

So it's the person's fault if they get offended and can't reply?

My entire point in this is me wondering if doing that, sending a nasty PM and not allowing the person to respond, counts as harassment.

Furthermore, I think if someone is going to act like a moral authority and confront someone via PM, it only makes sense that they're willing to hear back from the person.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  3,489
  • Content Per Day:  0.48

So it's the person's fault if they get offended and can't reply?

My entire point in this is me wondering if doing that, sending a nasty PM and not allowing the person to respond, counts as harassment.

Furthermore, I think if someone is going to act like a moral authority and confront someone via PM, it only makes sense that they're willing to hear back from the person.

Well, I'd say if they write you a nasty PM, but don't enable you to reply, then that speaks volumes about their credibility.

Exactly. And to answer your question, yes. I'd certainly consider it harrassment.

• Topic Count:  138
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

Shalom AK,

I usually ignore your posts, but since I know your motivation here, I'll reply this time, but I won't be reading or replying to any more of your posts.

Loving criticism according to Matthew 18 is not a "nasty" PM. If a brother or sister reaches out to another to try to help them by pointing out something that may help them in their walk, this is G-d's Word and the person is being obedient. As I said before, the person who receives the PM should take the content of the PM to the L-RD humbly and see if there be any truth to it. They should not take the PM to their buddies and it's not necessary to reply to the person. It needs to go to G-d. And, if the PM is in the spirit of Matthew 18, no, they should not get offended and angry and should not gossip about it to everyone else but G-d. The person getting the PM can decide whether to accept the advice or not.

Now, if someone sending a harassing or rude or "nasty" PM and there is no edification or truth in it, the person, again should take it to the L-rd, pray for the writer, forgive the writer and report it to the Moderators.

If the person is unsure WHICH it is, loving rebuke or just ol' nastiness, they should seek the L-rd, and send the PM to the Mods to decide. The Moderators can contact the person if it is determined it is harassment, as this violates TOS.

Over and out! :thumbsup: