Ryal

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

Forrest, please do be careful not to pass judgement on people for things like that...the Bible acknowledges that some have weak faith and some have strong faith, but it cautions us against looking down on one another for that sort of thing. (see Romans 14)

I am not trying to pass judgement. I am just saying that one's faith is not dependent on the environment that surrounds them. Moreover, the subject of this thread is a passing of judgement. I am not passing judgement on anyone by making the observation that if your faith is dependent on you completely sheltering yourself, then what faith do you have?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I am not passing judgement on anyone by making the observation that if your faith is dependent on you completely sheltering yourself, then what faith do you have?

Some would take that as passing judgement, though...I'm just saying be careful.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

I don't consider staying away from an R rated movie "sheltering" myself because my faith is too weak. I consider it being seperate from the world and what the world views as OK. When the whole world says there's nothing wrong with looking at this or talking like that and you agree, where is your Christian stand? How is God supposed to tell the difference between you and everyone else? We ARE supposed to be different and we ARE supposed to live as holy as we can possibly live, seperating ourselves from what the world views as "normal" and letting our testimonies speak louder than the words we proclaim them in.

I don't consider staying away from an R rated movie "sheltering" myself because my faith is too weak. I consider it being seperate from the world and what the world views as OK. When the whole world says there's nothing wrong with looking at this or talking like that and you agree, where is your Christian stand? How is God supposed to tell the difference between you and everyone else? We ARE supposed to be different and we ARE supposed to live as holy as we can possibly live, seperating ourselves from what the world views as "normal" and letting our testimonies speak louder than the words we proclaim them in.

That is not what I am saying though. I am saying that faith is not dependent on staying away from an R rated movie. Being separate from the world, which is largely a call against materialism, does not have to mean sheltering yourself. Just because someone watches an R rated movie, drinks, or listens to secular music does not mean that they are any less of a Christian than someone who chooses not to do those things. Moreover, it certainly does not make them a hypocrite unless they tell others that doing those things are wrong.

Would you not agree with that?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.24
  • Birthday:  01/01/1908

That is not what I am saying though. I am saying that faith is not dependent on staying away from an R rated movie. Being separate from the world, which is largely a call against materialism, does not have to mean sheltering yourself. Just because someone watches an R rated movie, drinks, or listens to secular music does not mean that they are any less of a Christian than someone who chooses not to do those things. Moreover, it certainly does not make them a hypocrite unless they tell others that doing those things are wrong.

Would you not agree with that?

God judges all of our intentions, individually. I never said anyone is "less of a Christian" for choosing to put garbage in their eyes and ears and bodies, that's between them and God.

Jesus told us not to pick splinters out of each other's eyes and for good reason. We live in a dirty world and splinters are unavoidable. It's up to the individual to decide to live with them or not, to build a blinding film of cataract around their splinter or to get rid of it.

BTW, we're all hypocrites, Christians and nonchristians alike, each to our own degrees because we've all done things at least once in our lifetime we've later judged another for. That doesn't mean we shouldn't warn our brothers and sisters not to watch their step lest they fall down.

I listen to secular music, a lot of it, but not music my own heart tells me not to. I don't drink, that's a choice I made, but I don't judge people for having a beer. My husband likes beer, I don't judge him for it. I'd like him to drink a bit less, I'll admit, but I don't believe beer is evil, in moderate amounts. I do draw the line on movies that bring filth into our homes, though.

That's not "sheltered", that's choosing to live pleasing to God.

(note:the theme of this post runs in with the theme of the OP which is hypocrisy)

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  276
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  01/31/1966

Can we steer this back to the OP please? :24:

Thanks,

t.

Can we steer this back to the OP please? :24:

Thanks,

t.

I thought we were talking about the OP. :24:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  160
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/26/1950

Ryal, I was pretty immature when I was your friend's age. Some people take a while to come of age emotionally and spiritually.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  06/06/1979

I wanted to talk to you about a person I know and how she is when it comes to hypocritcy.

Now please help me understand her better so the feelings of anger towards her will soon vanish.

She is young, 19 years old, been married for a year. Not that this really matters. Okay the point:

Hmmm...She claims to be a strong christian. Her and her husband both. They go to bible study and to church. They study the bible at home, pray and all around try to go by WWJD. She also listens and attends secular music/concerts, watches not so nice movies, calls people morons, and other non "swear" names jokingly to her friends, she thinks other men besides her husband is hott(not too sure if that is okay but I wouldn't do it) she has said that she would have "relations" with a certain movie star if she was given the chance, she drinks on occaission(not old enough) she judges people too often and she thinks too highly of herself.

Now, I am not a hater in anyway but when she judges how I live my life and she questions it and acts like she is the perfect christian girl and only because she has God in her heart then her actions are okay, everyone else stinks!

I was wicked close to her when I 1st met her. Our husbands are Marines and were great friends.

Then her true side came out and she became one of the biggest hypocrites I have ever know.

Please give me some insight on her so I can come to ease with this. Talking to her is like talking to a wall.

Ok wait a second. If you ask me, if your faith is so weak that you can't expose yourself to secular music and concerts, watch movies that kids should not watch, acknowledge when someone other than your spouse is nice looking, or drink, then your faith is pretty weak.

I like the old hymns but I cant stand contemporary christian music and never listen to it. I watch R rated movies sometimes. I joke with people I know all the time. And I enjoy a cold beer. None of that makes me any less of a Christian than anyone else, nor does it make me a hypocrite because I don't chastise others for doing the same.

I'm sure you are a fine wonderful child of God. She on the other hand has it in her mind that she is only allowed to be pardoned by her actions but no one else.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

I was wondering? As Christians, when do these passages come into play? Sometimes? All the time? Never? Do we even believe the passages?

Luke 6:41 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 42 How can you say to your brother, 'Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,' when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. 43 "No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. 45 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks. 46 "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? 47 I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice. 48 He is like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. 49 But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete."

In His Love,

Suzanne