IGNORED

Society is going downhill shockingly fast...

KeilanS

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  192
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/24/1982

Then he said "It should set out the rules and you could have like a 10-year or 15-year or whatever contract and then you can choose to renew it afterwards".

There is a serious devil out there :thumbsup::blink:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,706
  • Topics Per Day:  0.26
  • Content Count:  3,386
  • Content Per Day:  0.51
  • Birthday:  12/10/1955

Then he said "It should set out the rules and you could have like a 10-year or 15-year or whatever contract and then you can choose to renew it afterwards".

There is a serious devil out there :):emot-hug:

That's an interesting stance to take on marriage. But then has this guy considered where any children of the marriage fit in? It seems rather unstable for them. Imagine the scene: A child has just turned 13 (a very vulnerable age where everything in a child of that age's life centres around them anyway) and they spend the next two years worrying whether or not mum and dad will be together when they have finished high school.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  07/22/1960

Okay, I'll explain where I work first. It's an internship position with my province's mental health region, and the job involves helping to run programs for children who are clients of a local mental health clinic. So it's psychology, an extremely humanistic, liberal field at best. Most of the offices have stickers explaining that their office is a "safe zone for those of homosexual orientation".

So I walked up to a few of my coworkers who had just started a discussion about marriage and how you need to lay down rules in marriage before you get married (such as how you'll deal with the husband wanting to go out with friends at night or whatever). So I'm okay with this, you need to know what your spouse is expecting. Then one of the guys I work with (he's in his high-twenties) said it's kind of like a legal contract setting out what each spouse is able to do and such. So I'm still okay with that.

Then he said "It should set out the rules and you could have like a 10-year or 15-year or whatever contract and then you can choose to renew it afterwards". So my response to that was thinking he was joking, so I said jokingly back "Well, a contract is good but maybe we should do away with the time limit part"... and he responsed by telling me that the time limit is important because people can get tired of their spouses over time.

:emot-hug:

It scares me when people with opinions like that are the new generations of psychologists. And teachers, doctors, lawyers and everything else.

God Bless,

Keilan

:)

Yup I work in Human Services this is standard thinking. Marriage is really not considered important, and there is a very negative feeling toward nuclear families in general. I find this SO bizarre given that these guys are always bringing up data and research on everything, yet the data we have shows that the nuclear family is healthier for kids, for adults and is critical for society in general. But people bring their own biases to their work.

It is scary and that is why I am always very very leery of most secular programs for kids and don

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

Obviously I wasn't there so I'm not exactly sure of the context, but maybe when the psychologist was talking about the contract needing renewal, he was referring to the fact that the dynamics within a marriage can change over time. Perhaps it was a reference to the fact that the things you agree upon early in your marriage might need to be reexamined after fifteen years or so. Maybe the spouses agree early on not to go out too often because of the mounting responsibilities at home - years later, after kids are a little more grown, etc., maybe that opinion changes and they reevaluate, deciding they can spend more time pursuing things outside of the house. Baseball games, the theater....whatever.

That's just a "for example," but it occurred to me that what the therapist was saying might not have actually been as bad as it has been taken.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Okay, I'll explain where I work first. It's an internship position with my province's mental health region, and the job involves helping to run programs for children who are clients of a local mental health clinic. So it's psychology, an extremely humanistic, liberal field at best. Most of the offices have stickers explaining that their office is a "safe zone for those of homosexual orientation".

So I walked up to a few of my coworkers who had just started a discussion about marriage and how you need to lay down rules in marriage before you get married (such as how you'll deal with the husband wanting to go out with friends at night or whatever). So I'm okay with this, you need to know what your spouse is expecting. Then one of the guys I work with (he's in his high-twenties) said it's kind of like a legal contract setting out what each spouse is able to do and such. So I'm still okay with that.

Then he said "It should set out the rules and you could have like a 10-year or 15-year or whatever contract and then you can choose to renew it afterwards". So my response to that was thinking he was joking, so I said jokingly back "Well, a contract is good but maybe we should do away with the time limit part"... and he responsed by telling me that the time limit is important because people can get tired of their spouses over time.

:cool:

It scares me when people with opinions like that are the new generations of psychologists. And teachers, doctors, lawyers and everything else.

God Bless,

Keilan

Cajunboy::: Good topic Keilan, You know while listening to you explain you position it suddenly occurred to me, "Why would I be concerned about working with someone because he/she has a "sexual orientation" no matter what their "choice" is? I don't go to work and demand that "because I'm of heterosexual orientation, that everyone must adhere to my strict rules of living with my spouse. The only thing I do when others of varied choices begin talking of their adventures at home and I find it offensive, is to kindly a civially ask them not to discuss their personal matters in my company. And I respect the same if they ask me not to do the same. This way, I don't have to listen to personal opinions and details of things that are offensive to ME and please remember, I'm only speaking from an individual standpoint.. I do not reflect any other members in this forum, merely because homosexual views don't reflect God's Word, although it does not! If I note a conversation that appears offensive to anyone in a particular group, I immediately remove myself from it or request that we choose another topic. Learning more about one's sexual orientation or "choice" of sexual partners is not necessary in my decision making because I do not need any outside stimulus affecting my decisions. Fact is.....GOD CAME FIRST.....and HE will be here when we're all dead and gone. If this is true, and I believe it is, then why would I want to challenge my MAKER with any foolishness that I already know would not affect the outcome. Another words, God has already spoken on the issue of homosexuality! We already know what the outcome will be, so what's the point in "dancing" around the subject or using a method of "reworking" the term to disguise it in hopes that many more will accept it or the act will be accepted at any point. GOD SAYS NO! Strictly referring to the act and not the person, as we know all things can change at the blink of an eye. But God will not change nor will HE ever change.

I apologize in advance for getting a bit off topic but this was necessary!

Blessings

Cajunboy

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.44
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Marriage is the contract!

• Topic Count:  45
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

Hey Amanda, that is pretty much the reason I gave up on psychology. I was going to be a counsellor but the field is just too liberal for me. Chances are I'll work for a few years and then find out it's now illegal to give counselling with a Christian bias.

I'm still worried about the courses I'll take though, the university in my city is known for being very liberal.

Keilan the world needs more Biblical counsellors. You could train to be one of them at a Christian college or university. Do not go to a secular college for your education unless you are positive God has sent you there; it would be a waste of time to learn warped and unBiblical concepts which you would not be able to use.

Check out this site :

NANC

I love psychology and to pastor a churvh I think one needs to know some of it. A lot of behavior modification is christian based. There is nothing new under the sun.

Im glad you dont support things that are unScriptural but....

To be a good pastor he must know the Word and study it. Psychology is not Biblical teaching, basically they study humans and the human mind and then try to solve their problems. The concern is that their system is based off an incorrect theology and worldview, so they cannot actually diagnose correctly, let alone find true solutions.

On the other hand Biblical counselling studies the Bible to see what it says about the human heart, the human condition, and how humans react. Based on a correct understanding of the source of our problems, they then can use Scripture's solutions to get to the root of the issue. The difference between psychology and Biblical counselling is that psychology only works on surface level issues, while the second always gets to the heart.

Even your phrase "behaviour modification is Christian based" shows how unbiblical the psychology is that you have learned. The Bible is never about modifiying surface behaviours, it is always focused on the heart.

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  1,234
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  04/10/1987

Hey Amanda, that is pretty much the reason I gave up on psychology. I was going to be a counsellor but the field is just too liberal for me. Chances are I'll work for a few years and then find out it's now illegal to give counselling with a Christian bias.

I'm still worried about the courses I'll take though, the university in my city is known for being very liberal.

Keilan the world needs more Biblical counsellors. You could train to be one of them at a Christian college or university. Do not go to a secular college for your education unless you are positive God has sent you there; it would be a waste of time to learn warped and unBiblical concepts which you would not be able to use.

Check out this site :

NANC

I beg to differ. I go to a "secular" college (went to Catholic high school) and I hardly think it's a "waste of time." You get the best education you can, wherever you can get it, and then let your personal convictions shape what you do with it.

Check out this site :

NANC

I beg to differ. I go to a "secular" college (went to Catholic high school) and I hardly think it's a "waste of time." You get the best education you can, wherever you can get it, and then let your personal convictions shape what you do with it.

It is one thing to learn how to spell and add from secular sources, and quite another to learn how to minister to people. If I want to learn how to be a godly Christian, I won't be learning theology from a Buddist; if I want to learn how to be a godly counsellor, I won't be learning counselling and psychology from a humanist.