F8thNJesus

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  7
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

My husband has said many times that he believes mental illness is from Satan. And I wonder. I have actually wondered if Satan can find a weakness in a family (or group of people) and put his stronghold on them. We've had lots of suicide in my family. My aunt, my mom, and my closest cousin. And I suffer from severe mood swings and depression. I debate the use of meds all the time. Before becoming a true believer, I was on Adderall and Prozac and LOVED it. Now I wonder if taking them means I'm not depending solely on God, or if God put meds out there to help us. I hope God will reveal the answer to me.

In my case, my depression will lead to anger issues too. There have been times when I have spewed filth from my mouth, and seconds later, *I* can't believe I did that. I don't know if I know what being possessed feels like, but that feels like a momentary possession to me.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest The Chief

"...I became a reborn Christian and learned everything about demons the devil and its bondage I realized that 90% of these mental illness was because of demonic bondage." Sorry, you do not know everything about "...demons the devil and it's bondage," and neither do I. I take it you are another who ascribes to the "idea" that any organ of the body except the brain can have organic disease? Sorry, don't work that way. While I agree that God has the capability to heal every disease known to man, and He can do so in His time, people (once again) fail to take into account that, just perhaps, God has a purpose in our illnesses and suffering. For instance, if I were not severely Bipolar, would I have the same interest for others like me learning the word of God, or how to cope with their illnesses? Not likely! They would be "someone else's ministry." Do I acknowledge the presence of demons? Of course! The term "devil" is used 111 times in the Bible (KJV) in it's various manifestations. Do I believe these "devils" can oppress a believer? Sure do! Do I think they can possess a believer? No, as just as light and darkness cannot coexist, so the Holy Spirit and "indwelling demons" are an oxymoron. Do I think that the mentally ill are actually demon-possessed? Honestly? To some extent, yes, but not to the extent that a lot of people are making it out to be.

"I know that God heals depression, because I have had my healing before from it." Why would you continue to be depressed, then? Is God incapable of completing that which He starts? When God sets out to do something, He doesn't do it halfway, correct? I am happy He sends his relief to you when you need it, Anita, but maybe am missing the full and complete healing here that God gives in His time and in His purpose. Perhaps the "upside" here (if we want to call it that) is that God is having you rely more and more upon Him during these times? I know that a lot of times His feet seem like the only place I have left to go, and it's not a bad place to be! :mgfrog:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  08/27/1959

I have had a mental illness...it's called clinical depression...and I have been treated with medication, the likes of which I don't ever want to go back on.

I do know for a fact that my problem is caused by demonic forces, because where it starts is in my own mind, thinking about everything that I have ever done wrong in my life. Then I start feeling bad, which leads to beating myself up mentally, which does lead to depression. I know that God heals depression, because I have had my healing before from it.

Here's the key, at least for me: I can't allow myself to think the thoughts I was thinking to lead into the depression. If I do, then the depression starts and then I can get suicidal (I have tried it before). I have to rebuke the thoughts, or ask someone to help me rebuke the thoughts when I can't do it on my own. There's been times when I have thought that maybe I SHOULD be back on the meds, but then I start remembering how I was when I was on the meds...when I can remember back that far...and I don't ever want to do that again. I had no control over my thought processes then. It's very upsetting and aggravating when you go through that. It's even more upsetting and aggravating when you sit through a worship service and can't worship due to the depression.

As you may have guessed from the typing, I am depressed now. Thank God it's not to the point of suicide, but I know where the healing comes from. So I'm waiting and praying.

Anita I have to ask you. If you claim healing from this illness then why is it "coming back"? Many people suffer from various types of depression. Most can be explained by an imbalance of chemicals in your brain not from demonic possession. I am not saying that demonic possession does not occur but for those who think all mental illness is caused by satanic forces is stepping away from reality. Thats like issuing a blanket statement that allillnesses are caused by the devil. How does something like appendicitis have to do with possesion? If you are depressed then please seek help. Not all drugs are created equal, it can take years to find a treatment for your specific type of depression. Depression is not a neat little package. It is affected by enviormental, chemical factors as well as emotional and social issues. Pregnant women can suffer from depression after delivery due to post partum depression. That may not show up right away and even can take a few years to show up. It does not mean she is possessed (although some guys will swear otherwise). Talk withyour doctor or find one who is willing to listen to your concerns. That is my best advice for you.

And for the rest of us. Mental illness is one of the most misunderstood diseases we have. There are many types and sub types out there. What I percieve the problem to be is fear more than anything else. What we don't understand we tend to fear. And thats when we allow ourselves to destruct,

Praying helps many, but understanding by others also goes a long way. Not judgeing but understanding can be one of the biggest helps someone with mental illness can get.

Anita

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

"...I became a reborn Christian and learned everything about demons the devil and its bondage I realized that 90% of these mental illness was because of demonic bondage." Sorry, you do not know everything about "...demons the devil and it's bondage," and neither do I. I take it you are another who ascribes to the "idea" that any organ of the body except the brain can have organic disease? Sorry, don't work that way. While I agree that God has the capability to heal every disease known to man, and He can do so in His time, people (once again) fail to take into account that, just perhaps, God has a purpose in our illnesses and suffering. For instance, if I were not severely Bipolar, would I have the same interest for others like me learning the word of God, or how to cope with their illnesses? Not likely! They would be "someone else's ministry." Do I acknowledge the presence of demons? Of course! The term "devil" is used 111 times in the Bible (KJV) in it's various manifestations. Do I believe these "devils" can oppress a believer? Sure do! Do I think they can possess a believer? No, as just as light and darkness cannot coexist, so the Holy Spirit and "indwelling demons" are an oxymoron. Do I think that the mentally ill are actually demon-possessed? Honestly? To some extent, yes, but not to the extent that a lot of people are making it out to be.

"I know that God heals depression, because I have had my healing before from it." Why would you continue to be depressed, then? Is God incapable of completing that which He starts? When God sets out to do something, He doesn't do it halfway, correct? I am happy He sends his relief to you when you need it, Anita, but maybe am missing the full and complete healing here that God gives in His time and in His purpose. Perhaps the "upside" here (if we want to call it that) is that God is having you rely more and more upon Him during these times? I know that a lot of times His feet seem like the only place I have left to go, and it's not a bad place to be! :rolleyes:

Shalom Chief,

Amen and amen to everything you've said. :)