• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.60
  • Days Won:  1

Hello everyone,

I joined because I want to hear some Christian feedback on Thomas Paine and The Age of Reason. It seems that I cannot start a new thread anywhere besides here.

Any thoughts?

Ok, if you believe that all the world's religions are man made, then obviously quotes from the Bible are not going to be convincing arguments to you because would naturally just assume that the Bible is a product of man as well.

Have you read any C.S. Lewis perhaps? He went from atheist, to deist, to Christian, and makes the logical case for his transition.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Ok I typed a huge long reply and for some reason it is refusing to post....keep getting error messages. Will try again if this post works out.....

Hi and welcome to worthy. I hope you will stay here for awhile, get to know us, get to know our beliefs.

Some of the quotes out of the first two pages of

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  34
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Ok, if you believe that all the world's religions are man made, then obviously quotes from the Bible are not going to be convincing arguments to you because would naturally just assume that the Bible is a product of man as well.

Have you read any C.S. Lewis perhaps? He went from atheist, to deist, to Christian, and makes the logical case for his transition.

I have not read any C.S. Lewis. Was he ever an atheist for the right reasons? Was he ever a deist or did Lewis just convert to Christianity from atheism?

I have read Emmet Fox's "The Sermon on the Mount". It was "overly religious" at times, but I did appreciate his interpretation on Jesus and the message he carried. It also showed me that his so-called message is couched in metaphors, allegories, and symbolism. This allows one a wide range of interpretations. Some interpretations are intelligent and healthy, while others are not.

I do not think Jesus is divine and I find that his existence is a moot point. Many of Jesus teachings are hybrids of Stoics/Platonic/and other Pagan teachings.

Edited by Gettin' In Tune

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  367
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Birthday:  10/23/1959

Welcome gettin in Tune!

Thanks for the Welcome and the reply.

Edited by Gettin' In Tune

I believe we are all equal. I do believe however that those who believe in Jesus are forgiven of our sins.

I think Jesus, if he existed, carried a message that over the centuries became so distoted they formed the foudation of modern christianity. Jesus questioned organized religion and was not a proponent of it. He was also against all the ornate costumes worn over at the Vatican.

Im not a proponent of organized religion or ornate costumes. I think that everyone needs to have a personal relationship with the Lord, not with a church institution. Jesus advocated worship of God, with all our heart mind and soul. I agree with His view.

The ideas he brought to the table went against the grain of most organized religion of the time. He claimed that the religions were wrong and brought a new way of thinking. His message of love, tolerence and understanding was slowly molded to form contemporary chrisianity. I don't think it was his intent, but it happened. I do think some Christians have a healthy interpretation of Jesus and some have a polluted and perverse interpretation of him.

I think you should read His words carefully. He didnt claim religion was wrong. He claimed too many were not worshipping God and taught the need for repentence and turning to the one true Lord. His message was of Gods love for us, so that He provided for our salvation. He didnt preach tolerance of false religions or tolerance of sin. Perhaps you could explain what you think the polluted perverse interpretation of Him is.

Have you ever heard of the "Jefferson Bible"? It was written by Thomas Jefferson. Jefferson did not believe in Jesus' divinity and he tried to extract all the superstition out of the Bible. Thomas Jefferson believed that Jesus existed and admired hime. He thought Jesus carried a strong, moral message.

Jefferson sadly did not understand Jesus. Since he took away the words of God from the bible, then his bible isnt worth reading. Jesus' strong moral message, without the understanding of repentence and the need for salvation is meaningless. It does no good to have a moral philosophy without redemption from God.

Ok eating my dinner so my replies will be delayed for a bit.

Perhaps you could explain what you think the polluted perverse interpretation of Him is.

Here is a little background on me. I grew up in New England and not the

Here is a little background on me. I grew up in New England and not the