IGNORED

Why is the "Prayer Thread" barren?

nebula

Matthew 6:5,6

"And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites.  For they love to pray standing in the synogogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men.  Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.  But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place, and your Father Who sees in secret will reward you openly."

Matthew 18:18 "I tell you the truth, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

19 "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

in any case, i tend to feel very uncomfortable praying out loud. i can type my prayers in private, i can say my prayers in private, but when saying or typing them publically, i become very self-concious, and my focus drifts from being on God to being on myself and what others think of me. I'm aware of who (satan) is behind that discomfort.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

I can only speak for my own experience....but prayer just feels weird when it's typed. I pray along with every post...but it's different for me to type out a prayer, ya know?

Plus, there is a need for agreement whenever we pray in groups. Many of the prayer threads here turn into critical debates about the prayers themselves.

I find the best result of the Worthy Board to be a bible study. These debates force me to constantly examine what I believe and why. It keeps me abreast of opposing viewpoints and news stories/opinions which I might miss otherwise.

And I know we are praying together even when it isn't typed out for everyone to see. I can just feel the power coming from the prayer closet.

That's good enough. Our Father knows... :huh:

I agree with all you said YOD (and Lady C). I too feel uncomforatble typing out a prayer. Almost all of my prayers are private as well except in the Jail when I lead prayer. On Sunday morning in church, I'm about the only one praying to myself while the others are prayer out loud like incense in the nostrils of God.

BUT, here is my point. Someone in need comes and asks for prayer and everyone prays but doesn't at least tell that person in a post that they are doing so. See? They don't know. They think we ignored them. They need to be encouraged.

You and I have much in common. The debates and discussions have taken my mind off of useless things and challenged me to grow. But I also see many that have needs and it has touched me...all they need is an encouraging word like, "I'm praying for you." That's it.

Not being preachy brother...just sharing with y'all my observations.

Blessings all,

Wayne

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  827
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  12,101
  • Content Per Day:  1.50
  • Days Won:  3

Here's my take on the prayer issue - for what it's worth. (2 cents maybe! :o )

There have been many times in the prayer forums that I typed out my prayer and many times that I simply said I would pray. Sometimes I feel really led to pray right then. And it seems important sometimes to let the other person know that a prayer was said, and not just promised. I did that once, to my dismay. I totally forgot to pray for someone after saying I would. What a terrible feeling! Now, if possible, I pray right away. But I try to always first go before the Lord, asking His guidance for the prayer itself. And that helps to get me into the correct attitude.

As for praying online like this, I don't see a difference anymore. Back at the beginning of the Iraqi war, we started a prayer vigil in the chat room. Several of us went in there every single night and prayed together. We flowed together just like we were together in real life! The Holy Spirit really moved during those sessions! What an incredible experience, to gather together for the sole purpose of going before the throne, for others. wow. humbling.

Anyway, my opinion. :huh:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

And Traveller...it means a lot that you always respond to the inmate prayer requests. I haven't posted any this week...been kinda busy and I figured that not many were joining in praying for these men. You and a handful of others responded everytime. Bless you sister!

I carry around a small binder of 3x5 cards...just started to...so I can write down all the people I promise to pray for. It is filling up fast!!! I wish I was better...I am learning. The one thing I do know is that God listens to prayer...it is like incense to him.

Revelation 5:8 And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Blessings,

Wayne

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

One Accord, Idolsmasher, and others -

Look, these debates have been tearing my heart apart. I know I have my strong convictions and opinions and need to be vocal about things just as much as you do, but I keep wondering and wondering, "What is edifying about all of this? Where is God's glory in this?"

I started the prayer thread because I wanted a change. I wanted us to learn to come together in the Lord instead of fighting our feelings and opinions about this whole thing.

Please, I am not doing it out of loftiness or proving anything. I just want us to come together in (no pun intended) one accord.

And I appologize if my question came across condenscending; I was feeling angry and hurt.

it's a wonderful suggestion with the best of intentions, i believe that nebula. i did not think it came across as condescending. more people should have the courage and the conviction to try and bring the focus back to edifying the Lord.

Guest shiloh357

The remarks about being condescending I think, were actually being leveled at me, not Nebua. It was not my intention to be condescending but I can see where it came across that way. It was my post, not hers, that set the sparks to flying. I, however stand by my post. I do find it odd, that those most vocal about loving the poor unfortunates in Iraq, only find their voice when the United States is somehow involved in the equation. Where were they when reports came out all the time about the atrocities committed in that country? Just seems quite disingenuous at this point.

So, if you feel that you have been treated in a condescending manner, then direct your anger and irritation at me, and not at Nebula. I don't mind shouldering the blame. As I said, there is nothing I said in my post that I do not stand behind.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

I directed nothing at Nebula, I posted a direct quote from Shiloh's post. And here he is taking another potshot. How prayerful is that? The general tone of the post, and many others lately, is that I, or anyone else that has a more 'liberal' view of the world stage isn't as Christian as he is or something and has no compassion for the oppressed, just some self-serving agenda. I get rather weary of being painted that way. Posting threads on Peacenik Warmongers and such is fanning the flames. He cannot accept a pacifist Christian as a valid walk with Jesus. Somehow it isn't Christian enough for him.

19 "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

As for this verse, I am not necessarily in agreement with Shiloh so I guess this verse doesn't apply.

As for this verse, I am not necessarily in agreement with Shiloh so I guess this verse doesn't apply.

what did that verse have to do with shiloh? i posted that verse in response to the one you posted, to point out that group prayer is NOT inappropriate.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

bncry.gif