IGNORED

Should Christians study other religions?

Guest tygra

Should Christians study, or understand, other religions like Islam, Buddhism, etc  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should Christians study, or understand, other religions like Islam, Buddhism, etc

• No, it is evil to do so.
    • No because it might harm your faith or lead you astray
    • No, there is just no point in it and it would waste time
    • Maybe, if you are personally curious about it
    • Sure, to understand a non-Christian friend's p.o.v.
    • Yes, it's good to know the faith of those you witness to
    • Yes, just to be educated
    • Some other idea
    • No opinion

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

What if Leonard, due to his background and education, was regularly sought out by the media to defend his faith on national radio and television regarding issues surrounding Christianity? How would he look if there was an issue surrounding Muslims and Christians on Larry King Live and knew nothing of the Muslim faith at all. You can't just go on a live broadcast like that and continually quote scripture. You have to also have more facts. Wouldn't he look rather silly?

Do you now see why it's okay for at least some to study other faiths?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know nothing of a religion, would you listen to anything that person said concerning their religion? Would you allow them to speak at all about their religion? Because if you do, you will learn something about their religion. So is your answer to simply not let them talk to you about their beliefs???

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  302
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

eric,

I wouldn't just come right out and tell people they are wrong,I just try to witness to them,and if they tell me they are a Mormon or whatever, I just pull out my bible and show them how they are wrong,without coming right out and saying, "you are wrong". I try to be wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove as Jesus said in Matt.10:16. It is a christian's duty to witness to everybody,no matter what religion they have, without shoving Jesus down their throat. I'll go up to anybody by the grace of God and offer to talk about their soul,or at least just offer them a gospel tract,and if they say, "I don't want to hear it", or "leave me alone", I'll say, "I'll pray for you" and just walk a way. Jesus commands us to give EVERY person the opportunity to hear the gospel and perhaps be saved. I witnessed to a muslim once,and he was very nice to me and took the time to listen to every word I said,and even looked at the bible,and even though he didn't believe in what I showed him or told him,he walked away thanking me anyway. I certainly don't think I did anything wrong. If I would have just walked away without trying to talk to him after he said he was a muslim and would die a muslim, that "seed" wouldn't have been planted. My pastor witnessed to some muslims once,and they were very nice to him and listened. If God lays it on your heart to talk to a particular person,no matter who or what they are,and no matter what time of day it is or where it's at, it is your duty to obey and do it,and if they don't want to hear it, that will be between them and the Lord, at least they were told.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  764
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Can't figure out how you would need anything else. I have experienced in street evangelism not knowing anything about their false gods, that when they would question The Gospel, that The Holy Spirit gave me The Scriptures, and the answers that He wanted them to hear.

His Son,

It isn't supposed to be about you, or your needs. The Great Commission is about doing what it takes to help the next person. Anything that I can do to help me understand my neighbor, it makes me a better witness to him.

How in the world can you see my needs being important in that post? I was in fact saying that I didn't need anything but The Bible God's word as spoken through me by The Holy Spirit. I have experienced evangelizing people from many denominations, and cults, and have never been in need of anything else but those two God proclaimed methods.

Your reply is direct opposition to Proverbs command not to lean to your own understanding, which is what I was living during that period of evangelism.

Seems you have tried to turn it around to the opposite.

The only thing I can see a need of as far as living in a different country is concerned is a need to know their social structure so as not to offend them in the approach, which might tend to close their ears, but can see no need whatsoever to spend anytime knowing their religion. I am an ex-mormon and I can tell you that for them you will never understand their beliefs because most of them don't understand them as they are constantly being changed to suit their leadership. And if you really think about you will see that can also be found in a lot of denominations.

It's The Truth that sets free from the bondages of anykind, and that Truth is in God's Word The Bible and needs no assistance from man other than obedience to the directions of The Holy Spirit in how, when, and where to apply it. And the great commission is to go into all the world and preach God's Word.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

Salt and light, Hey bro I'm not trying to put you down, if you are happy finding out a bit about other people's religion, well you go for it. I just prefer to treat all unbelievers the same regardless of their beliefs. To me they are all lost souls.

No offence meant, just a different approach.

in Him,

eric

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  3,216
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Birthday:  05/16/1962

I've witnessed to a muslim once,and a mormon and a Jehovah's witness each a few times,and they all said, "What do you know about our belief, have you ever studied it?" I said "yes I have,and I know,what I'm talking about".

I have done the same, many times. On one occasion, I invited a Mormon friend to visit my church. He said yes, but first I had to study the Book of Mormon for a few weeks. I agreed.

After a couple of weeks, I began asking questions that he - as a lifetime member - couldn't answer. For example, polygamy (really!) is forbidden in the Book of Mormon. He didn't believe me, until I showed him.

How in the world can you see my needs being important in that post? I was in fact saying that I didn't need anything but The Bible God's word as spoken through me by The Holy Spirit.

You said that all you need is the Bible.

But what if you're witnessing to a person who doesn't recognize the authority of the Bible? We need to become all things to all men, and speak in a language that they understand.

So if I'm sharing my faith with a Moslem, it is helpful to know a little about Islam. That's a great way to gain their respect.

After a couple of weeks, I began asking questions that he - as a lifetime member - couldn't answer. For example, polygamy (really!) is forbidden in the Book of Mormon. He didn't believe me, until I showed him.

Yeah, the mormons came to my door a long time ago and I let them in and we talked for about an hour or so. I kept asking questions that were making them really think and telling them why Christianity could better answer all the questions. At the end of it all, they asked if they could come back again. I said "sure" but they never did.....

eric,

I wouldn't just come right out and tell people they are wrong,I just try to witness to them,and if they tell me they are a Mormon or whatever, I just pull out my bible and show them how they are wrong,without coming right out and saying, "you are wrong".

Salt,

Good advice. There's a great hazard of coming across as "I'm right and you're wrong". People may dismiss what you say because you come across as arrogant. What I have done on many occasions, is set the Bible on a table alongside (for example) the Koran, and point out the differences.

At that point, I may tell the person they can't have it both ways. The name of Jesus is all through the Koran, but Jesus claims to be the only way. Mohammed accepts Jesus, but Jesus does not accept Mohammed.

I hope that's clear...??

Do you now see why it's okay for at least some to study other faiths?

Not just OK. It's essential.

I am convinced that a lot of people become Christians, simply because they don't know any better. It's the only thing they have ever known.

Likewise, most people in Kuwait are raised in Islam, and don't know any other way.

Many people in Japan are raised in the Shinto faith, and don't know any other way.

All of these people fell into their religion passively, "by default", through family custom or cultural conditioning. Is any of these people any better off than any other?

Do you really want your children to become Christians, just because they don't know any better?

Luke 14:25-33