• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

Yeah, Spaz has free run of the house and yard when we are away.

Okay, I'll try the walking thing. Should I leash her or just wander the woods with her?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She's easily trained. She picks up on things fast. She does follow commands. It's just by the time I get her to calm down, it's too late, she done puked. LOL

Spaz is licking my hand which means she is ready for bed. She wants her blanket. Gotta go to bed. Talk more tomorrow. Thanks all. Big help, all of you.

excuse me but when I sneeze....

:24::24::24:

Guest Biblicist

Okay, I'll try the walking thing. Should I leash her or just wander the woods with her?

Dogs do not feel comfortable when they are alone and in a huge house. Have you ever tried crate training her? When a dog is alone and loose they tend to pace, the more pacing they do the more anxious they become. It's not good for them.

Leash her and walk her as if she were in a dog show. Put the collar high on her neck, don't worry it doesn't hurt, and make sure she is next to you. No sniffing or pottying. It's work. All dogs need a job to do. Spaniels and terriers are working dogs, they were bred for a specific purpose. If they don't work they get unhappy and anxious. What a combination by the way! Hard headed and tenatious! :24:

I had a springer spaniel mix when I was a kid, walked that dog every day with me. He was a gem.

Ignore the puking, don't make a big deal about it. If she's excited, ignore her, like Mayco said. She will learn that affection comes after discipline, sitting still for a spaniel/terrier mix is discipline. :24:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Ok, I have a VERY high strung dog. She was a stray. We have had her for about 8 years now and she was about 2 when she showed up. Her name is Spaz.

She had to have been abused by her previous owner because if you yell at her she squats and pees.

If you call her in a stern voice, she won't come. She lies on the floor and cowers.

She gets excited easily. When she gets over excited, she PUKES>

When she hears our car, she runs to the door and waits.Then jumps and licks all over us.

She does not leave our sides when we are home. She even sleeps with us.

We have trained her to sit, stay, wait, shake hands, high five, lie down etc.

What our main problem with her is, she fishes for turds in the cat box. Drags them out onto the floor and gnaws on them.

She will also chew on tissue paper but thats another topic.

We cant yell, or be stern with her or we get pee on the floor.

Our second problem is her being Hyperactive and A.D.D.

I dont mind her being happy to play with us but she over does it and vomits.

Sometimes all we have to do is say, "Spaz, go get your ball" and she jumps right up runs into her room and comes back with the ball and pukes. Or just say "Spaz, u want a cookie"?

Any ideas?

Cajunboy:::Two things that worked for me a few years ago with our Black laborador! First, you have to clean out the kitty litter box often and the poop from the pup as well. She may be getting to her own that you might not know about??? Dunno? Also, the vet recommended we give her bananas each day. Seems they are lacking a particular vitamin in their systems and they know their stool has it in there???? Unbelievable but it worked for our lab!

Best Wishes

Cajunboy

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,786
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  223
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

:taped::taped::taped: nd people wonder why I DO NOT let my dog lick my face or anywhere else if I can help it ...ooohhhh yeum cat poo and bacteria kisses :whistling::taped::taped:

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I'd leash her...a lot of anxious dogs actually enjoy the contact the leash gives. My parent's Dobermann, Prince, gets very excited when there are lots of people around, some of it stemming from nervouness. All my dad has to do is clip the leash on him and Prince just quiets right down and lays at my dad's feet.

I definitely agree that you need to be going on walks with her...it's a pack thing that dogs really like. It will also provide good opportunities for you to exert your dominance in ways that hopefully won't remind her of her abusive past. Remember: you're the pack leader. Make her run at your heels, not dragging the leash. If she starts to pull to go somewhere, make her turn around and walk a few steps the opposite direction, just to communicate that she doesn't get to decide where you're going, YOU do. After a few paces (when she's stopped having notions about pulling to go off-course), turn her back in the right direction, then have her sit. If she sits nicely for a few seconds (rather than trying to leap off again), reward her, then start going again with the word "heel." Repeat until she gets the idea and stops pulling.

I hope that works for you...worked great with Prince, but he's still a puppy, so he's still quite malleable. Don't be discouraged if it doesn't go so well on the first walk...she'll probably be pretty distracted by all the new smells and such. Follow the same route the next few times and she'll hopefully be less distracted.

I dont see how she can be bored with 5 acres to run in. With the doggie door, she can go outside when ever she wants to.

There are birds,fish,armidillos and squirrells to chase. She loves annoying the animals.

I dont have the heart to crate train her.

She is leash trained but we use a harness. Nothing around her neck, it fits around her ribs instead.

Cajunboy, Spaz LOVES bananas. I give her little pieces as treats.

I tried ignoring her when I got home today. I waited till she was calm then I went up to her and petted her and said hi.

It didnt take long for her to calm when I ignored her.

When she got all excited again, I ignored her again.

This may work.

Great suggestions everyone.

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

I dont see how she can be bored with 5 acres to run in. With the doggie door, she can go outside when ever she wants to.

There are birds,fish,armidillos and squirrells to chase. She loves annoying the animals.

It's not about the other animals or smells or whatever, though...it's YOU she wants...you're her friend, her pack-mate, whatever. Imagine you're a kid again: you'd get bored too if you were just out playing every day without a single friend to play WITH you.