• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

hello there my christian sisters and brothers,

emily who is seven years old wants to take karate. She wanted to take it when she was younger and I just said we did not have the money and it is true. A number of her friends and two of her cousins had taken it. I explained that along with the self defense course another type of religion we don't practice is taught. She asked if they believed in Jesus and I said no! I also know that there is so many people taking these courses out there and if it ever came between her and someone 75 lbs heavier she can get killed. But I do believe she should take a self defense course of some kind. Some churches , believe it or not , are bringing in karate and because the moves are being taught my christians they say it is okay. I stll do not think so. Am i correct?

She has taken gymnastics and is strong for her 40lb petit frame but if ther is any person who knows of a self defense course I would appreciate it? thank-you :huh:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,013
  • Content Per Day:  0.14

Tae Kwan do is ok and they don't teach religion just exercise and self defense. no harm there

I'm not sure what to think about the eastern type religion often taught as part of most martial arts courses. I'm not comfortable with the idea as a believer, either. However, there should be other self-defense courses available in your area.

You might want to try your local Police Department, or even someone who counsels rape victims. Odd as the latter might sound, many rape victims take some form of self-defense training, so that might be a path to try also. Might want to contact some pastors of other churches also as they might know about something.

Some of the options you may find might not be appropriate for someone her age, but you'll be able to sort through the choices.

Hope this helps.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

There are lots of forms of self-defense out there that are based on Karate and other eastern martial arts that don't include the religious aspect...check out your local college, community centres, YMCA, places like that. There might even be stuff listed in the Yellow Pages. I really couldn't point you to a specific one without knowing where you live and who to talk to. If you're not sure what all a course involves, just give them a call and ask.

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

I am 1 belt short of a black belt in jujitsu,tae kwon do,tai chi and judo.

In NONE of these classes was religion EVER a part of the class.

It teaches disclipine, self control, respect, self defense and it's a great physical workout.

There isn't a thing wrong with allowing your child to take these courses.

Parents are allowed to stay during the classes. I started my son when he was 6 because he was bullied in school.

I stayed and watched and ended up joining the class. It was great for my son and I to do something together.

We took the classes for 10 years and NEVER was any type of religion a part of the classes.

If you are concerned, just watch the class with her and if you see anything objectional, find another dojo or sensei.

• Topic Count:  146
  • Content Count:  2,308
  • Content Per Day:  0.36

I am 1 belt short of a black belt in jujitsu,tae kwon do,tai chi and judo.

In NONE of these classes was religion EVER a part of the class.

It teaches disclipine, self control, respect, self defense and it's a great physical workout.

There isn't a thing wrong with allowing your child to take these courses.

Parents are allowed to stay during the classes. I started my son when he was 6 because he was bullied in school.

I stayed and watched and ended up joining the class. It was great for my son and I to do something together.

We took the classes for 10 years and NEVER was any type of religion a part of the classes.

If you are concerned, just watch the class with her and if you see anything objectional, find another dojo or sensei.

I was gonna say, I didnt recall religion in karate classes at all. My dad was a black suit and we went to plenty of karate classes growing up, but we were never exposed to any religion whatsoever in those classes.

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

I took Karate for about 2 years. It never came across as pushing a religion, there were a few things though. Everyone bowed when they entered the dojo, although if you didn't do it nobody bugged you about it. There was also a little house thing mounted on the wall. However, I don't want to sound too skeptical, it was either a buddhist shrine or a clock, I'm not sure which. :thumbsup:

• Topic Count:  73
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,663
  • Content Per Day:  0.52

I took Karate for about 2 years. It never came across as pushing a religion, there were a few things though. Everyone bowed when they entered the dojo, although if you didn't do it nobody bugged you about it. There was also a little house thing mounted on the wall. However, I don't want to sound too skeptical, it was either a buddhist shrine or a clock, I'm not sure which. :thumbsup:

Ditto here.

I took karate for several years, as did my 2 sons. It was strictly an art of self defense. No religion whatsoever.

Guess it depends on where you study. I lik Giaour's idea of asking to watch a class or 2.

Peace,

Fiosh

PS. for very young children, karate will probably not be effective against a large attacker. There are usually training sessions available given by the local police dept. that focus on what kids can do to stay safe. In fact, even in my karate class, we were taught that if actually attacked on the street, the first defense was, if at all possible, SCREAM AND RUN. :b:

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  1,763
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  11/23/1990

That is one major thing I found with Karate. It would not have helped me defend myself. I think some of the other martial arts are more aimed at that. I think Karate was basically meant to help you concentrate as you fought.

I would still not be able to beat someone bigger than me if I were attacked (or even somebody my size who had experience fighting at school or something).

• Topic Count:  179
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Birthday:  10/08/1964

My son was hyper active and had trouble focusing but karate really helped him to concentrate and focus. I think it was oone of the best ideas I ever had.