IGNORED

Questionable Recruiting tactics

Guest idolsmasher

Guest idolsmasher

Could this man be the victim of misleading recruitment tactics???

U.S. soldier seeks Canadian refugee status

Last Updated Thu, 19 Feb 2004 11:21:46

TORONTO - A U.S. soldier who is absent without leave is seeking refugee status in Canada as a conscientious objector.

Jeremy Hinzman, who faces prosecution in the U.S., left the 82nd Airborne Division in North Carolina last month and fled to Toronto with his wife and baby.

Hinzman told the Fayetteville Observer in a phone interview that he had "a romantic vision" of the army when he joined three years ago.

He said the structure of army life, complete with subsidized housing, groceries and money for education, appealed to him.

But at the start of basic training, he became disillusioned and horrified by chanting about killing during marches, shooting at targets without faces and the dehumanization of the enemy.

Hinzman applied as a conscientious objector, saying he wanted to fulfil his service obligation but not fight in combat.

His application was rejected while he was in Afghanistan.

Hinzman said he and his wife decided to flee to Toronto before he could be shipped off to Iraq.

Canada's Immigration and Refugee Board said none of the 268 American applicants for refugee status last year were accepted.

Sgt. Pam Smith, a spokesperson for the 82nd Airborne based at Fort Bragg, N.C., said Hinzman could be arrested in the U.S., and would be put on a national database.

But she said the army won't search him out.

"We don't have time to go and track down people who go [absent without leave]," she said. "We're fighting a war."

Written by CBC News Online staff

Watch this video concerning the goals and tactics employed by the US to keep the war machine growing.

285,000 recruits needed this year.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry, i have no sympathy. anyone who enlists in the military thinking that it's all about housing and cheap groceries is just plain lying. especially when we're in the middle of a war, and particularly when there has been a war every single decade for as long as i can remember.

this guy went running off to canada whining because he had rose colored glasses alright... he got a wakeup call in boot camp when he discovered it was HARD WORK.

as for target practice with faceless human shapes and the military desensitizing the troops to killing, it's a necessary evil smasher, and is done in every form of gun training for anyone who takes it, whether it is the 18 year old woman learning self defence, or a police officer, or our soldiers. we can't afford to send our troops into war if they are unable to shoot the enemy. you can bet the enemy has been thoroughly trained not to care about the lives of others, or we wouldn't be in a war!

i, by the way, am the proud mama of a new marine recruit... and i bet SHE will not go AWOL when the going gets tough.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0

War is good business, invest your sons and daughters........

I would have to agree that this dude went into the service for all the wrong reasons. Particularly if he was a conscientous objector in the first place. That don't make sense.

When there was concscription (draft) for the first and second world wars, the Mennonites (conscientous objectors) were split. Some preferred jail rather than serving the military at all, and others requested assignments that would not put them in a position of having to perfrom acts of violence, like in the kitchen or somewhere else behind the scenes, so they could fulfill their duty to their country without violating their religious convictions.

I get the sense that this guy is still figuring out his convictions, and should be released on the grounds that he would not make a very good solidier as he doesn't seeem to have a well-developed killing instinct, and didn't respond too well to the training. I guess some people just can't stomach blood, guts, gore and war.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  08/27/1959

Oh they may put him on the back burner for a while that is true but when you are on that database that warrent is good for 40 years. I guess this gentleman did not know that. As to his being misled, yes a recruiter will make it look like a paradise, Free food, room etc but unless you are reallly distanced from reality you know nothing is free. He needs to turn himself in, do his time and get out. period. He made a committment and if he is a man he will honor that committment. He does have the option of getting out too through a court marshal but then that bad conduct will follow him throughtout his life. And believe me with a BCD his chances of making something out of himself slims down pretty sharply. My advice to that soldier is to face the music, do the time and then get on with his life. He has a wife and child to think about and running away isn't the answer.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

:t2: A guy joins the 82nd Airborne division and expects it to be non-combatant and peaceful?

piethrow.jpg

Guest shiloh357

It does not matter if you are cook, a chaplin, a medic or infantry, EVERYONE in the Army is soldier first. That is drilled into you from the first day basic training. Everyone serving in all branches of the US military are trained to be lifetakers and heartbreakers. That is the cost you will make the enemy pay for going to war with the U.S. Your number one job is to make the enemy die for HIS country. You take an oath to protect the constitution of the United States from all enemies both foreign and domestic.

He just chickened out when came time to pay his country back for all the free food, room and board and free medical care. He should be arrested and court-marshalled. He does not deserve sympathy for desertion.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,587
  • Content Per Day:  0.20

He should be arrested and court-marshalled. He does not deserve sympathy for desertion.

Matthew 9:13 But go and learn what this means, "I desire mercy and not sacrifice"......

James 2:13 For judgement is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgement.

:il:

• Topic Count:  70
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,513
  • Content Per Day:  0.19
  • Birthday:  08/27/1959

One Accord I too believe in Mercy but I am afraid the military has long memories and they will eventually get him. The longer the time away the more severe the penalties. In wartime he can even get the death penalty according to the Uniform Code of Military Justice system. This soldier needs to come home and take his medicine and get it over with. If he comes back soon within 90 days of going awol it won't be prosecuted as desertion. If it goes longer the penalty is much harsher including jail time at a federal penitentary, forfiture of pay and rank and a Bad conduct discharge. Believe me this soldier can be facing some serious consequences if he continues to play games like this. It dosen't maake it right I agree but he knew that when he signed the paperwork. Besides he could apply for a hardship discharge if he is in good standing with the military and it won't affect him that much. He must apply through the Chaplain's department and Jag.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  7,261
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Birthday:  12/19/1959

Hey Brother Smash!

Not looking for a fight but... just to set the record straight.

The 82nd Airborne Division is an all volunteer premier "fighting force" based at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Chances are great that this fella chose the 82nd when he joined up...went to basic training, AIT and Airborne school at Fort Benning and then reported for duty at Fort Bragg. Once again, you don't get assigned to the 82nd...you volunteer and are selected for it.

If this fella was a disillusioned pacifist, he would never have even volunteeer for a COMBAT duty. If he was assigned an 11B (Infantry) MOS because he failed to qualify for his desired specialty, he would have been assigned to a regular Infantry Division...not the 82nd.

My guess? He got married and decided that the Army was not for him. His story DOES NOT ring true. Now if he was a SGT York fella...maybe. But he can't be since he not only voluntarily joined the Army but chose and competed for an elite FIGHTING force.

Guest idolsmasher

Forget about what the military system thinks, how would God look on this man. I mean, isn't that what Christians should concern themselves with? Do you think God would approve of his choice not to kill, destroy, and maime his fellow man? Should people be forced into war against their will? Should Christians even be training and brainwashing the youth of America to be fighting killing machines that have no concern for the lives of others? What's worse, should they be disguising it as world travel, a good job with good benefits, and a higher education? Why do they only teach about the horrors of war after the young person has enlisted. Why does America need troops in 138 countries around the world and have to recruit 285,000 new people to make killing machines out of this year alone? Is this their idea of Christian outreach?