one of peace

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I was wondering what does the bible say about slavery? If the slave is reading the same bible as the oppressor to whom

does he show favor? Just a thought.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Biblicist

I don't think the slavery that was practiced in America is the same type of slavery that is refered to in the Bible.

Not sure though so hopefully someone else can clairify. I was thinking of this the other day! :emot-handshake:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

The phraseology of your question is a little vague to me. Could you ask your question another way?

To whom does who 'show favor?'

The phraseology of your question is a little vague to me. Could you ask your question another way?

To whom does who 'show favor?'

Well, being that most africans were converted to christianity by there Master. I was wondering if The Christian Master prays

that he does well with this newly slave he brought while the slave prays to be free one day, who does God favor to?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Well, comparing the cruel form of slavery with the 'slavery' of the Bible is comparing apples and oranges. They were very different.

Under the American system the slave was chattel property. He could be abused in any fashion, and had no legal standing to protest his treatment. The slaves of the Bible had specifically protected legal rights, and could not be so abused.

Well, comparing the cruel form of slavery with the 'slavery' of the Bible is comparing apples and oranges. They were very different.

Under the American system the slave was chattel property. He could be abused in any fashion, and had no legal standing to protest his treatment. The slaves of the Bible had specifically protected legal rights, and could not be so abused.

Can you verify the slaves of the bible had legal rights? Not saying they didn't just want to avoid confusion. somrtimes what

make sense isn't always the truth.

Slavery or servitude is a man-made law yet the bible says:

"Servants, be obedient to them that are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in singleness of your heart, as unto Christ;

Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;"

It says follow the fleshly law, man's law with fear as you would fear christ. Not with actions just to be favored by your

master but as you would serve God's will. This is actually not christ words but that of Paul. they differ.

Christ says ye can not serve two masters lest ye love one and hate the other.

Im going with christ on this one. Who do you hate? Im not serving someone as I would Christ I'm sorry.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I was wondering what does the bible say about slavery? If the slave is reading the same bible as the oppressor to whom

does he show favor? Just a thought.

Now there were indentured servants referred to as slaves, who sold themselves under contract for a number of years. You could sell a daughter but she must agree to being sold. She would also be called a slave.

But American type slavers were put to death.

Exodus 21:16

And he that stealeth a man, and selleth him, or if he be found in his hand, he shall surely be put to death.

JB

all slaves were to be given their freedom after seven years. that was a legal right of the slave. however, a good master who followed the Biblical commands on how to treat his slaves was one with the good fortune to keep his servents on for life... because many slaves, when their 7th year came up and they had the option to be free, chose to become "bond servants", which meant they chose to remain. a bond servant would be marked as being owned by their master. no other slave owner could ever "buy" them, or be master over them.

I can see you have some serious confusion going on here One Of Peace. You cannot differentiate the words of Paul from the words of Christ, because they are one and the same. The entire Bible, Genesis to Revelation is the Word of God. Yes, the human vessel that wrote a large portion of the New Testament was the Apostle Paul, but the words were given to him by Christ.

John 1:1 IN the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 Timothy 3:16, 17

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

To say that you are going to go with Christ over Paul is not possible, as they are not contradicting each other. The Bible itself is one complete work and it all goes together. Also, you are taking the words of Jesus out of context. The two masters he was speaking of were Christ or mammon. What the Bible teaches about slaves is that they are to serve God in whatever state they are in to the best of their ability. If they became a Christian while being a slave, they were to continue to serve their master. The teachings of Paul are the teachings of Christ.

Christ is not the word or the logos. The greek word for word is Lexis

the literal greek translation should have been

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  109
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

God's word is against any form of bondage. As Moses in the book of Exodus the soul's should be free from the oppressor.

Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Blessings,

Everlasting

:21:

Moon over Key Biscayne