artsylady

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

This is the kind of headline article that proves absolutely nothing for evolution. The kind of brainwashing headline the average media-taught public require.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/200709...rvivalinstincts

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Content Count:  1,741
  • Content Per Day:  0.28
  • Birthday:  07/30/1959

that turned out to be some of the biggest bunch of hogwash i've read in awhile

"Having this pop-out attentional bias for animals is sort of a vestigial behavior," said study team member Joshua New of Yale University's Perception and Cognition Lab."

listen to this: define vestigial: Describing a characteristic which has receded from a useful structure in an ancestral form, and has little or no current use.

little or no current use - are they serious?? - i'm sure i'm not the only one that's ever been made nervous by someone's pit bull or german shepherd wandering around off the leash!

this gets me so irritated. where does this Joshua New get his funding, i'd like to know. is common sense ever factored in?

glass fortresses...destined to be smashed in the not-so-distant future
thanks yzf-r1. that's the only thing that keeps me calmed down on this subject.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  171
  • Content Count:  4,813
  • Content Per Day:  0.64

This is quite the gem isn't it. Still today on Yahoo's front page as breaking news about our 'caveman' like instincts.

I wonder how much MONEY this study costs to prove absolutely nothing yet solicit major headlines? No conspirarcy? hmmmm.

It's almost a contradiction in itself. They're saying we've got caveman like instincts because a person or elephant seems to still pose more threat to us than a coffee mug or a silo (which is hilarious) which goes back to caveman instincts, yet shouldn't that be saying we evolved? If the subject had reacted differently to the coffee mug and silo :th_praying: , they would have said we'd evolved since caveman times.

They'll offer 'proof' for evolution no matter what they find!

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Now if we discard the headline and the link with evolution i want to take a look at what the survey suggests, that we are hard-wired to pay attention to other people and animals more so than non-living things. If the findings are correct than why are we hard-wired that way. That's what i would be interested in. I always like to take my media with a pinch of salt anyway.

Do we spot other people and animals quicker when they are moving or stationery because we're spiritually wired to recognise life or is it the hunter gatherer response. It could be some other reason entirely. I'll have to have a think about it. Later.

Guest Religion is a Scam!

Brainwashing as defined by the American Heritage Dictionary is "Intensive, forcible indoctrination, usually political or religious, aimed at destroying a person's basic convictions and attitudes and replacing them with an alternative set of fixed beliefs.

I would not even remotely consider either of the articles you posted as brainwashing material. In fact, when I come to these boards I am trying to be brainwashed more so than reading an article from Yahoo News. The purpose of these boards are to help convert "nonbelievers," as so eloquently termed in the Terms of Use, to the Christian faith. The act of converting someone to a faith is to replace basic convictions and attitudes to the ways of the particular faith.

Just an rather long off note, because I cannot start a topic

I thought a basic principle of Christianity was the tolerance of other religions (I could be mistaken and if I am, feel free to let me know). Why do Christians as well as other faiths disapprove of Scientology as much as it does. Yes, the story of Xenu coming to Earth and killing billions of people around volcanos with atomic bombs does seem rather fictional, but so does a man that can turn water into wine, walk on water, and comes back to life after being dead for seven days. If you do believe that Jesus did do all those things why can you not believe that an alien came to Earth and kill billions of people? Both Christianity and Scientology beliefs are based from books. Yes, the Bible has existed for much longer than Scientology has but does that give it any more credit? I don't think it does. People believed the Earth was flat for hundreds of years, but does it's age prove it to be correct. The answer is clearly no. So, I believe that Scientology and Christianity are both equally vaild for the purpose of following them as a religion. Would I ever consider following either? No. They are nothing more than decent fictional stories.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People

Brainwashing as defined by the American Heritage Dictionary is "Intensive, forcible indoctrination, usually political or religious, aimed at destroying a person's basic convictions and attitudes and replacing them with an alternative set of fixed beliefs.

I would not even remotely consider either of the articles you posted as brainwashing material. In fact, when I come to these boards I am trying to be brainwashed more so than reading an article from Yahoo News. The purpose of these boards are to help convert "nonbelievers," as so eloquently termed in the Terms of Use, to the Christian faith. The act of converting someone to a faith is to replace basic convictions and attitudes to the ways of the particular faith.

I thought a basic principle of Christianity was the tolerance of other religions (I could be mistaken and if I am, feel free to let me know). Why do Christians as well as other faiths disapprove of Scientology as much as it does. Yes, the story of Xenu coming to Earth and killing billions of people around volcanos with atomic bombs does seem rather fictional, but so does a man that can turn water into wine, walk on water, and comes back to life after being dead for seven days. If you do believe that Jesus did do all those things why can you not believe that an alien came to Earth and kill billions of people? Both Christianity and Scientology beliefs are based from books. Yes, the Bible has existed for much longer than Scientology has but does that give it any more credit? I don't think it does. People believed the Earth was flat for hundreds of years, but does it's age prove it to be correct. The answer is clearly no. So, I believe that Scientology and Christianity are both equally vaild for the purpose of following them as a religion. Would I ever consider following either? No. They are nothing more than decent fictional stories.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Explanation by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander: "People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People