IGNORED

Tithing...

GloryToGod!

Guest alarmnany

I'm new at this or any chat room but I want to reply to the question of tithing. I know it is definitely for us today because how would Gods work continue if we did not tithe?I think alot of people would like to think its only for Bible times because it takes the pressure off of us, but didn't Jesus give everything for us. I believe we owe a debt we could never repay with just money!!!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/03/1951

Maybe the problem is their are to many pastors teaching saved by grace but live by the Law, and to many Christians doing the same.

If you teach and preach saved by grace and live by grace maybe we won't have a problem to give by grace.

I'm new at this or any chat room but I want to reply to the question of tithing. I know it is definitely for us today because how would Gods work continue if we did not tithe?I think alot of people would like to think its only for Bible times because it takes the pressure off of us, but didn't Jesus give everything for us. I believe we owe a debt we could never repay with just money!!!

:)

Welcome To Worthy!

Guest brother in the lord
Several years ago I was at a convention of sorts, and the speaker began ranting about a well known Biblical teacher that I respect highly, and the issue was giving, or "tithing."

This well known teacher taught that Christian giving under the New Testament is not dictated by law, but by grace. Give as you have been given. If you have been given to graciously by God, then give back graciously. He didn't attack the 10% rule, but taught rather don't be governed by it. Let the giving be an act of worship that truly honors the Lord. This is commonly known as grace giving.

Then he went on to speak about how a certain pastor taught that at his church.

The end result is that giving fell down dramatically. Many got upset with the pastor for preaching that.

Rather than finding fault with the congregation, this speaker attacked the grace-giving concept.

His idea was that if you don't preach or teach at the least a 10% "tithe" it won't work. People won't give if you leave it up to them.

Churches cling to the "tithe" terminology to combat this mind-set.

He failed to take into account that the church from which this well known teacher comes from practices grace giving, and they are financially able to minitser in anyway they wish. The church is very financially stable and even sends out and supports several of their own missionaries.

He completely, totally failed to consider that the problem was a congregation that had little or no concept of the grace shown to them...little love for God that moved them to give.

The "tithe" concept does come from the laws of the Hebrew Scriptures. Actually, there were several tithes throughout, and added on to them were various offerings. If a person wants to be a strict tither followng the Old Testament pattern of tithes and offerings, the total you'd be giving would NOT be 10%....it would come closer to 25-30% or more.

As a I look into 2nd Cor chaps 8-9, and I see the generous giving that was done by Christians, what stands out is that the driving motivattion was "the grace of God," "abundance of joy," "giving themselves," "sincerity of...love," "proof of your love..." "cheerful giver" and the "surpassing grace of God in you."

Now consider all of that.

And now consider that if a congregation is given the freedom to determine for themselves how they will give (with no tithe language or terminology being used) and giving plummets downward, what is this really saying?

Yes this is good thank you .

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  1,360
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  7,866
  • Content Per Day:  1.24
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/18/1946

Tithing is not the same as giving. Tithing is returning to God what He requires-the 10%. Giving is offering whatever you desire.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  113
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  06/28/1952

Tithing is not the same as giving. Tithing is returning to God what He requires-the 10%. Giving is offering whatever you desire.

Cajunboy:::: I'm not sure if I agree with where this statement is leading....It may be "misleading" in many instances. It seems to infer that one can "give" as they "desire." If one is living within the confines and commands of God and HIS word, HE will allow your spirit to be convicted and when you "give" or "tythe" you will "Know" what is appropriate or not through "HIM" and not by your own accord. Call it your conscious if you will, but rest assured, God is at the stern.