shepherdsgrace

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  880
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  0

Poorinspirit! Thank you for adding such scriptures that line up with what I was trying to point out. I am copying them to use with my lessons on this subject. Thank you again. God's blessings,

It seems to me that between Traveller and PIspirit the part that God plays and the part that man plays in a move of God to reclaim a people is seen clearly.

I do appreciate the time you two took to answer my post. I am presently teaching on this subject and I plan on using the scriptures from both answers.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  318
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/21/1963

Hi shepherdsgrace,

I thank the Lord for that. May He cause the increase. :th_praying:

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  16
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Greetings All,

I have had on my mind lately Jonah the angry prophet. As you know Jonah was angry with God because God did not destroy Ninevah as He said He would. In Jonah 4 he accused God of being gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. In fact he was so angy that he declared it was better for him to die rather than to live.

Sometimes I think many of us forget the Great Redeeming Love of our Saviour. He who knew the depth of Sin and its consequences from width to breadth chose to die and to redeem rather than to annihilate.

In Matthew 24:12 Jesus reminds us that in the latter days men's love will grow cold because of the increase of lawlessness.

Sometimes I think the emphasis is on when is God going to destroy rather than remembering the interceeding God who is vitally interested in Redemption and Salvation of people and circumstances. Such times as these are ripe for intercession for a movement of the Holy Spirit bringing life and light to our world.

Abraham thought of his family when God told him he was planning to destroy Sodom. I am thinking of a lost generation of children who have not known the gracious moving of the Spirit in their lives.

I am wondering if some of us could agree in prayer together for a move of God ....one more time. Perhaps we could share scriptures by way of this topic that we would pray and believe together. Perhaps you have some ideas you would share. Thanks...

I would suggest to you that Prophets knowing themselves, knowing humanity and knowing the evil of the deeds are moved more towards justice than to the other you mention. I disagree about Jonah " accusing God " for His compassion towards the " truly repentant " because one thing that a true Prophet of God knows is that without the compassion of God towards himself, he would be in the same sinking boat.

Greetings All,

I have had on my mind lately Jonah the angry prophet. As you know Jonah was angry with God because God did not destroy Ninevah as He said He would. In Jonah 4 he accused God of being gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity. In fact he was so angy that he declared it was better for him to die rather than to live.

Sometimes I think many of us forget the Great Redeeming Love of our Saviour. He who knew the depth of Sin and its consequences from width to breadth chose to die and to redeem rather than to annihilate.

In Matthew 24:12 Jesus reminds us that in the latter days men's love will grow cold because of the increase of lawlessness.

Sometimes I think the emphasis is on when is God going to destroy rather than remembering the interceeding God who is vitally interested in Redemption and Salvation of people and circumstances. Such times as these are ripe for intercession for a movement of the Holy Spirit bringing life and light to our world.

Abraham thought of his family when God told him he was planning to destroy Sodom. I am thinking of a lost generation of children who have not known the gracious moving of the Spirit in their lives.

I am wondering if some of us could agree in prayer together for a move of God ....one more time. Perhaps we could share scriptures by way of this topic that we would pray and believe together. Perhaps you have some ideas you would share. Thanks...

I would suggest to you that Prophets knowing themselves, knowing humanity and knowing the evil of the deeds are moved more towards justice than to the other you mention. I disagree about Jonah " accusing God " for His compassion towards the " truly repentant " because one thing that a true Prophet of God knows is that without the compassion of God towards himself, he would be in the same sinking boat.

Jonah may have understood the compassion of God towards himself but he did not particularly care about sharing that compassion. He was angry over the lawless society and desired judgment rather than repentance and a demonstration of compassion from God. Therefore when speaking to God his description was more of an accusation than a description of thankfulness.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

Greetings All,

Jonah may have understood the compassion of God towards himself but he did not particularly care about sharing that compassion. He was angry over the lawless society and desired judgment rather than repentance and a demonstration of compassion from God. Therefore when speaking to God his description was more of an accusation than a description of thankfulness.

no...He hated gentiles and don't you think Jesus called him for this job purposely...I do.!!!

No doubt the calling of Jonah was for Jonah as well as for the people of Ninevah.

It interests me greatly that Jonah knew the LORD so well. He was intimate with him. He talked to him as to a man. He had relationship with the LORD to a great degree. Yet he was angry. This shows me that having intimate fellowship with the Lord and experiencing his presence does not necessarily keep a Christian from looking at people with a bitter spirit. We must be careful that a bitter root does not spring up and defile many.

No doubt the calling of Jonah was for Jonah as well as for the people of Ninevah.

It interests me greatly that Jonah knew the LORD so well. He was intimate with him. He talked to him as to a man. He had relationship with the LORD to a great degree. Yet he was angry. This shows me that having intimate fellowship with the Lord and experiencing his presence does not necessarily keep a Christian from looking at people with a bitter spirit. We must be careful that a bitter root does not spring up and defile many.

amen shepherds grace.. it is also determines whether you walk to the other side of Jordan with Joshua. Jesus knew what was harboring in Jonahs heart and Loved Jonah so much to work it out of his heart. There are times things are in that heart of mine I am suprised about as well . I have learned not to be suprise anymore , proverbs states" all a mans ways seem right in his own eyes but God weighs the heart"

It is a great relief and revelation to know that in relationship to our Fathr, Jesus he accepts all of who we are. That is His Grace and Mercy!! Praise the Lord!!

The father sees us through the righteousness of His Son, yet He knows our frailities, and still loves us! It is a relationship unlike any human to human relationship.

I use Adam and Eve as a example in which they tried to hide. Jonah knew he had to deal what was in his heart first in order to fulfill the call God gave him. Perhaps that was also part of his anger as well. Bigotries towards anyone need to be removed especially if you are called into that group to preach.

God told peter I believe to not acall unclean what I have called clean and that was in reference to food but it meant more. Love expressing my views , and this post is a wonderful one!! God bless Patricia1

I have noticed in the past that one of my responses toward the LORD is to turn away. By that I mean I turn from having my daily time of devotions and prayer time. If there is something in me that needs to be dealt with yet I do not consciously realize that I need to be dealt with I find myself neglecting prayer. Somehow way down deep I do know that God is going to be dealing with me and so my first response is to like Jonah, turn away. But of course I always turn back and when I do I am always amazed that way down deep inside I knew there was something that God would be touching that I did not want to face. Yet when it is all done and I have submitted to God, it is so good! .........Wow, as for sentence structure the above is rough. But hopefully the idea comes across!

So I really do understand Jonah in a way. I understand his turning away. But I am sorry for his continued response of anger. We never see Jonah change. God deals with him and yet he continues to rebel against the dealings of the LORD. He portrays a hard bitter spirit towards his fellow man.

I have noticed in the past that one of my responses toward the LORD is to turn away. By that I mean I turn from having my daily time of devotions and prayer time. If there is something in me that needs to be dealt with yet I do not consciously realize that I need to be dealt with I find myself neglecting prayer. Somehow way down deep I do know that God is going to be dealing with me and so my first response is to like Jonah, turn away. But of course I always turn back and when I do I am always amazed that way down deep inside I knew there was something that God would be touching that I did not want to face. Yet when it is all done and I have submitted to God, it is so good! .........Wow, as for sentence structure the above is rough. But hopefully the idea comes across!

So I really do understand Jonah in a way. I understand his turning away. But I am sorry for his continued response of anger. We never see Jonah change. God deals with him and yet he continues to rebel against the dealings of the LORD. He portrays a hard bitter spirit towards his fellow man.

That is most likely the reason he is not mentioned in use after Ninevah. Perhaps he learned his lesson after the worm ate down the plant that gave him shade, after the scorching sun beat down on him.

I think it is a human response to turn or want to run when the Lord is saying " My daughter..come and we will take care of this" Circumcision of the heart is never pleasant but the rewards are great. Although you and I are both aware of this we still react my 'hiding' so to speak.

When things become too difficult we want to evade the issue. Remember... we are like children and no matter how mature one thinks she/or he is we still act like two year olds yelling NO...NO.. NO.. i don't want to go there!!! So He waits and waits..He is a patient Lord and there is a part He is not Lord over.

He shows such Mercy and kindness.

There was many times I have been in the same place you are in...God wins. LOL

I remember a time when I wanted to get into that throneroom and just be with Him, in knowing though He would be endowing me with a blessing of Love i did not have for someone. I was like Jonah. I said to Jesus.." I am not coming there...Lord..you are only going to give me more love so your people can use it and abuse it!!"

The days went by..and I was just getting more miserable, more missing Him but refusing to budge. I would talk to Him , read His word(which He dried up for me) I was getting angrier.

Jesus would remind me of passed prayers I have prayed to Him for myself in regards to wanting to be in His will continually and with a right and clean heart, contrite. Ha I would say " If i knew the cost I would not have prayed those prayers "I would say in reply to Him

My countenance was different..my pastor would say.. i can see you are rebelling again. I would say yeah.. gotta get a husband, maybe then I can win a argument. LOL

All in all... after I would sumbit, get rid of the pride...the rebellion and the surgery done. I would be laughing over the childishness. Thinking My goodness I should've been running to Him!!! It all wasn't that bad just like you said shepherds grace.

Those old things must pass away. Even Jesus in the garden was asking for His cup to be passed..and that is Jesus!!!

Let me pray for you.

Father God, We as your children and sevants run one away when we need to run straight into Our Big Daddies arms, There is sweet lovingkindness there for us to meet. I pray for my sister as i know and you know where she is at... bring her gently towards your loving merciful and gracious heart. Let the surgery be quick , the flesh removed and the balm of gilead applied. As she needs to sumbit to you I pray tiny steps towards you will become leaps. I pray that in recovery time , Your Joy will pulsate through her veins, The joy that both of you will share together that is one of a kind .

I loose Yor spiritual axe to the root of the problem that it be removed and bind Your Living words to her heart. ( He will give a word to you or has already) We really do want your will in both of our hearts and lives. So Jesus let this be done. I come against this rebellion in Jesus name and pray it not be too much longer. I plead the Blood Of Jesus and the oil of anointing on the top of her head down to the very toes, into the most inner part of her being...in Jesus name I pray.. Sweet darling Have a wonderful week and Do not fret for He is able to complete the good work in you for His Glory. Amen patricia1

Hey Patricia, How wonderful that you understood what I was describing. I think we can identify with ole Jonah pretty well, except for his continued rebellion. Like you say, maybe later on he changed. I would think so.