IGNORED

Is it wrong to drink?

Christ_Sheep

Guest rubenn8
Is it wrong to drink? I know the bible says it is wrong to become intoxicated, and even in the bible Jesus and his disciples drank wine (probably plenty of times), but it was probably of a different potency back in those times. However, I was wondering is it wrong to drink champagne? Smirnoff? Wine, mixed drinks, things of that nature?

Now, I know the first question might be ... have you checked your spirit about this? Or, why do you want to drink in the first place, but I already have. I was one whom many times drank in excess, but I have recently cut that all ou because I felt a churning in my spirit against it, and honestly have no real access to it. I believe its a poor choice to deal and skate by life getting drunk every chance I got. I do, however, enjoy the taste of some of the things I did drink ... and I was wondering should I cut myself off completely?

Thoughts?

do not drink alchohol period... believe me -I know.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  117
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,860
  • Content Per Day:  0.56
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/13/1984

Basically, I understand your position to be that Jesus would not create 150 Gallons of alcoholic beverage that He knew people would get drunk on it.

My problem with that is, God created the Tree of the knowledge of good and evil; knowing man would eat of it.

God created sex, knowing man would pervert it.

God created food, knowing man would abuse it.

God created gold and gemstones, knowing man would build idols from them.

God created metals, knowing man would fashion weapons from them and kill each other with them.

Excellent point.

The way I see it is this: We need to exercise caution with it, as with all these things. If that means avoiding it entirely for some people, then more power to 'em...I'm not of the belief that I need to avoid it entirely: I don't drink alcohol to get drunk...I drink wine because I enjoy the taste and it's sortof a cultural thing for my family: we take wine tasting very seriously, and we also take seriously the fact that alcohol should never be abused, only enjoyed in small quantities. I am very careful to not drink with someone who has a drinking problem or who has a problem with people drinking...as such, I don't ever drink with people I don't know very well.

That's just my two cents.

Just to let people know, there are non-alcoholic wines available. Just use a search engine to find out more about them.

Yeah, I tried a ton of those while I was in Bible College...still haven't found a single one that tastes like wine should.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  91
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  02/22/1958

In Vino Veritas

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  123
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

it's really an issue between you and God. if you feel the conviction of the Holy Spirit when you have a drink, then you should pay heed. God will let you know if you're displeasing Him.

as for asking us here, well, you'll get a wide variety of answers. many are very strongly opposed to any drinking whatsoever and don't believe the wine Jesus served was even fermented. others of us disagree with that position.

i enjoy an occasional drink. God has never chastised me over it... probably because it's a rare thing, and if i ever do become intoxicated (which is extremely rare) i do so in the privacy of my home and go to sleep... because intoxication makes me sleepy. in fact, that's really the only reason i ever bother to become intoxicated, is to sleep really good.

there've been very very few exceptions to the above.

Paul was quite plain that any behavior that caused a brother to stumble was sin. I am not aware how it is possible to consume alcohol around an immature Christian without it causing them a problem. To me, it is not sin to consume wine in moderation. By moderation, I mean a small 6oz. glass with a meal, or befor bed. However, I found many years ago that it is practically not possible for me to do this without being questioned by other Christians about why a Christian is drinking wine. It can be a stumbling block. Around a group of mature Christians, I will drink a glass of wine with a meal. Around an immature Christian, never. As to liquor, the Bible was plain about "strong drink." I think it is absolutely sin for a "Christian" to socially drink." Why would a "Christian" want to drink alcohol to lose inhibitions in a social atmosphere?

What does the Bible say "plainly" about strong drink? I see many admonitions against misuse of acohol in the Bible, to be sure, but even strong drink is not prohibited, in fact, speaking of the 2nd tithe and the Feast of Tabenacles (or Feast of Booths) God says:

Deuteronomy 14:25 - 26 (ESV) 25then you shall turn it into money and bind up the money in your hand and go to the place that the Lord your God chooses 26and spend the money for whatever you desire

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  615
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

I agree with the problems in society bit.

Why do you suggest that alcohol is a substance we don't need? Studies have shown that alcohol, taken in moderation, can be good and even healthy. What evidence do you have to say that we shouldn't drink it at all? I do think that drinking with reckless abandon isn't smart. I don't think, however, that getting intoxicated is a sin, or that im more "prone to attack" when i'm intoxicated. I drink occationally and get drunk about half of those times and its always in good fun. No one gets hurt, no one drives, i haven't done anything stupid. Im not always in control, i fall down a lot, but once again, its all in good fun. The only downside i have found to something like this, for me personally, is a little weight gain. But then, how is that worse than if i ate at McDonalds every week?

Im not saying everyone can handle it. Some people get addicted and cause serious problems for themselves and others around them, and they should seek help. I wouldn't venture to say its a vile drink we dont need.

I disagree with people who drink and get drunk and become addicted and blame it on genetics. Without becoming too vulnerable to complete strangers, my father was a violent alcoholic, both my grandfathers were violent alcoholics, yet i feel no fear when drinking that i might become one. I know there are theories that exist that say its genetic, that im predisposed to addiction because of my family. Every person is an individual, with individual thought and individual control over themselves. People should "man-up" so to speak and take responsibility for what they've allowed themselves to become.

Lastly, you say "why can't christians as a whole have an alcohol free social", and im assuming you meant all christians stop drinking.

My question is, Why can't Christians stop being so self rightious with EVERYTHING and calm down and allow themselves the occational beer at a baseball game, or wine with dinner, or night on the town. God won't send us to hell for drinking.

It is true that studies have shown that alcohol can be healthful. However, it is only when taken in very small amounts; 2 drinks for men and 1 drink for women per day. Most people at socials do not limit themselves to those amounts which means that they are NOT getting any health benefits. There are also studies that show that grape juice can provide many of the health benefits that fermented wine provides because the benefits comes from the grape, not the fermentation process. It is for these reasons that we don't need alcohol. There is nothing in the Bible that makes alcohol consumption compulsory.

I belong to a church that teaches total abstinence. Because of that, I can get involved in church socials that do not have alcohol. We are able to have a good time without it. I don't see why other Christians can't do the same thing.

Why create a paridigm like that? What's the point? If some Christians like to drink, let them. If some like to get drunk, let them. If some don't, ok. I will agree, on a very basic level, that we dont need alcohol for our survival. In the hunter/gatherer sense of the word, we dont NEED alcohol. But it isn't a sin.

Many anti-oxidants are created during the fermentation process, more so than just the actual grape, or grape juice. With that sentence i could argue that we do need alcohol.

I say we quit trying to create blanket laws for Christianity, and just stick to the individual. If one can handle it, let him get smashed. If one cant, let him abstain. To each his own. Its just alcohol.

Everything in moderation.

That is about the most unscriptural advice I have seen on these boards. Jesus says there will be no drunkards in heaven. You say "get smashed." Do you not know that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit? Go "smash" the temple. That is outstandingly brilliant advice. :th_praying:

Why do you suggest that alcohol is a substance we don't need? Studies have shown that alcohol, taken in moderation, can be good and even healthy. What evidence do you have to say that we shouldn't drink it at all? I do think that drinking with reckless abandon isn't smart. I don't think, however, that getting intoxicated is a sin, or that im more "prone to attack" when i'm intoxicated. I drink occationally and get drunk about half of those times and its always in good fun. No one gets hurt, no one drives, i haven't done anything stupid. Im not always in control, i fall down a lot, but once again, its all in good fun. The only downside i have found to something like this, for me personally, is a little weight gain. But then, how is that worse than if i ate at McDonalds every week?

Im not saying everyone can handle it. Some people get addicted and cause serious problems for themselves and others around them, and they should seek help. I wouldn't venture to say its a vile drink we dont need.

I disagree with people who drink and get drunk and become addicted and blame it on genetics. Without becoming too vulnerable to complete strangers, my father was a violent alcoholic, both my grandfathers were violent alcoholics, yet i feel no fear when drinking that i might become one. I know there are theories that exist that say its genetic, that im predisposed to addiction because of my family. Every person is an individual, with individual thought and individual control over themselves. People should "man-up" so to speak and take responsibility for what they've allowed themselves to become.

Lastly, you say "why can't christians as a whole have an alcohol free social", and im assuming you meant all christians stop drinking.

My question is, Why can't Christians stop being so self rightious with EVERYTHING and calm down and allow themselves the occational beer at a baseball game, or wine with dinner, or night on the town. God won't send us to hell for drinking.

It is true that studies have shown that alcohol can be healthful. However, it is only when taken in very small amounts; 2 drinks for men and 1 drink for women per day. Most people at socials do not limit themselves to those amounts which means that they are NOT getting any health benefits. There are also studies that show that grape juice can provide many of the health benefits that fermented wine provides because the benefits comes from the grape, not the fermentation process. It is for these reasons that we don't need alcohol. There is nothing in the Bible that makes alcohol consumption compulsory.

I belong to a church that teaches total abstinence. Because of that, I can get involved in church socials that do not have alcohol. We are able to have a good time without it. I don't see why other Christians can't do the same thing.

Why create a paridigm like that? What's the point? If some Christians like to drink, let them. If some like to get drunk, let them. If some don't, ok. I will agree, on a very basic level, that we dont need alcohol for our survival. In the hunter/gatherer sense of the word, we dont NEED alcohol. But it isn't a sin.

Many anti-oxidants are created during the fermentation process, more so than just the actual grape, or grape juice. With that sentence i could argue that we do need alcohol.

I say we quit trying to create blanket laws for Christianity, and just stick to the individual. If one can handle it, let him get smashed. If one cant, let him abstain. To each his own. Its just alcohol.

That is about the most unscriptural advice I have seen on these boards. Jesus says there will be no drunkards in heaven. You say "get smashed." Do you not know that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit? Go "smash" the temple. That is outstandingly brilliant advice. :th_praying:

And that's the final goal isn't it. To get to heaven. How outstandingly selfish.

Do you eat steak? Have you ever had milk? Ever eat chicken? Cheese? Ever drink pop? Eaten candy?

None of those things mentioned above are good for the body in excess. Nothing, is good for the body in excess. So i guess we, as good, God fearing, scripture readin' Christians, should start targeting obese people. Telling them they wont get into heaven either. What about victims of eating disorders? Saying they have to purge, because its in their psychology to do so. "Go 'purge' the temple. that is outstandingly brilliant advice".

Do not dare to judge what i do to my body with the occational drink. Do not dare to think you can judge whether or not people who get drunk will get into heaven. Heaven is the least of my worries.

If you've ever eaten so much you felt stuffed (i.e. thanksgiving), drank so much coffee you feel the effects of caffene, you yourself have damaged "the temple". Nicely done.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)

Public Domain

9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Did you see Gluttons anywhere on that list?

Alcohol abuse has been one of the leading causes of deaths, ruined marriages and other relationships, and billions of dollars in damages. With disadvantages that big, and the advantages so small, it's best to avoid alcohol.

Actually, I'd say that's a reason to avoid alcohol abuse. If you need to avoid alcohol entirely in order to do that, then it IS wise to avoid it entirely...that's not the case with everyone, though.

Alcohol abuse has been one of the leading causes of deaths, ruined marriages and other relationships, and billions of dollars in damages. With disadvantages that big, and the advantages so small, it's best to avoid alcohol.

Actually, I'd say that's a reason to avoid alcohol abuse. If you need to avoid alcohol entirely in order to do that, then it IS wise to avoid it entirely...that's not the case with everyone, though.

It is the case with a large number of people. It is better to be on the safe side and not serve alcohol at all. That way, the problem doesn't come up. Regardless of what the Bible says on the subject on alcohol, it would be best if Christians everywhere gave it up; at least in a social atmosphere.

In the Old Testement, there were people called Nazarites who vowed to abstain from alcohol. I don't see why Christians today can't do the same thing.

The official definition of moderation is 1 drink for women and 2 drinks for men per day in order to get a health benefit. There is no health benefit beyond those amounts. Can you honestly say that most people in a social limit themselves to those amounts? If they don't then they are not truly drinking in moderation. Because those amounts are quite small, it makes serving it at a social impractical.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the topic title "Is it wrong to drink?" rather than "is it wrong to serve alcohol at a social?"

Be that as it may, I've thrown a lot of parties where we've all had one (yep, count 'em, ONE) glass of wine over dinner. Really, it's not that hard. If it is hard for you, though, then don't do it at all. :thumbsup:

That is about the most unscriptural advice I have seen on these boards. Jesus says there will be no drunkards in heaven. You say "get smashed." Do you not know that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit? Go "smash" the temple. That is outstandingly brilliant advice. ;)

And that's the final goal isn't it. To get to heaven. How outstandingly selfish.

Do you eat steak? Have you ever had milk? Ever eat chicken? Cheese? Ever drink pop? Eaten candy?

None of those things mentioned above are good for the body in excess. Nothing, is good for the body in excess. So i guess we, as good, God fearing, scripture readin' Christians, should start targeting obese people. Telling them they wont get into heaven either. What about victims of eating disorders? Saying they have to purge, because its in their psychology to do so. "Go 'purge' the temple. that is outstandingly brilliant advice".

Do not dare to judge what i do to my body with the occational drink. Do not dare to think you can judge whether or not people who get drunk will get into heaven. Heaven is the least of my worries.

If you've ever eaten so much you felt stuffed (i.e. thanksgiving), drank so much coffee you feel the effects of caffene, you yourself have damaged "the temple". Nicely done.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (King James Version)

King James Version (KJV)

Public Domain

9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

Did you see Gluttons anywhere on that list?

I can misquote scripture too. whats your point

How is that scripture misquoted?