IGNORED

Computer Crash and I am using another puter!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,227
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/19/1964

Ok while we are getting free computer help, while running my home computer I started smelling something getting hot. I shut it down as fast as I could. Now it won,t boot at all, nothing on the screen. Do you think it is the processor, motherboard, memory, or videocard? I had an old hard drive I swapped in and still get nothing so I don't think it is the harddrive. I also had a spare power supply and still nothing. I did switch the memory to the second bank. I have a single 1 gig stick. It started to boot and then froze. Now I get a total black screen.

Thanks,

K.D.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Ok while we are getting free computer help, while running my home computer I started smelling something getting hot. I shut it down as fast as I could. Now it won,t boot at all, nothing on the screen. Do you think it is the processor, motherboard, memory, or videocard? I had an old hard drive I swapped in and still get nothing so I don't think it is the harddrive. I also had a spare power supply and still nothing. I did switch the memory to the second bank. I have a single 1 gig stick. It started to boot and then froze. Now I get a total black screen.

Thanks,

K.D.

Is the system back to it's original state? You mentioned that you changed things around.

Usually, when you get a smell like that, it is the power supply, but you threw me off saying that you rebooted after changing the memory from one bank to the other and it started to boot.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  239
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Once you get up and running again, make sure you put your pictures on disk and sign up for a photoweb site like Photobucket or Picasa................I like Picasa because when you log in, it automatically downloads any new pictures you've added since the last time you logged on! I hope you get it fixed!

i didnt know that scarlet thanks for the tip...sis vicki

Thanks,

K.D.

Is the system back to it's original state? You mentioned that you changed things around.

Usually, when you get a smell like that, it is the power supply, but you threw me off saying that you rebooted after changing the memory from one bank to the other and it started to boot.

My first thought was the power supply. I had an extra. I tried it and it still didn't work. Maybe the reason it is an extra is because it didn't work either....have to think about that. Yes that is what confused me as well. I have one stick of memory. I switched it to the second bank and it started to boot, but froze. after I hit the reset it stopped booting completely again. Underpowered power supply would freeze a boot....thinking. Yes I have it back to it's original configuration. I might try a third power supply from a working computer. I have 3

Thanks,

K.D.

My first thought was the power supply. I had an extra. I tried it and it still didn't work. Maybe the reason it is an extra is because it didn't work either....have to think about that. Yes that is what confused me as well. I have one stick of memory. I switched it to the second bank and it started to boot, but froze. after I hit the reset it stopped booting completely again. Underpowered power supply would freeze a boot....thinking. Yes I have it back to it's original configuration. I might try a third power supply from a working computer. I have 3

About the power supply. Ensure it puts out enough watts for your system. It has to be at least as powerful as the first.

Do you hear any beeps when you boot up? If so, count them and go the you BIOS's site to troubleshoot the code. It will tell you what is wrong. Some BIOS's sound like morse code and others don't.

If you can't even get that far ... you are not getting any power.

OneLight

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  241
  • Birthday:  04/27/1962

Scarletsprayers, I do have photobucket, but haven't finished uploading all my grandson's pictures yet...and the computer has the only copy of many of them.

Thanks everyone for all the tips! I am hopefull going to have a new computer built before too much longer. Still waiting on the guru to come by and check my old computer out. The one I am using now isn't much use and it is extremely unstable. There isn't much I can do about updating the system, it is based on DOS and from what I have seen; it would be cheaper to fix my other one or buy a new one.

Thanks,

K.D.

About the power supply. Ensure it puts out enough watts for your system. It has to be at least as powerful as the first.

Do you hear any beeps when you boot up? If so, count them and go the you BIOS's site to troubleshoot the code. It will tell you what is wrong. Some BIOS's sound like morse code and others don't.

OneLight

I tried a 3rd power supply, 450 watt. And I still get nothing. I do get lights on the CD, power switch, Ethernet. I am sure it is not the power supply. I do not get any beeps, and the harddrive is not engaging. I saw on E-bay a motherboard analyser for $18 are they worth purchasing. Otherwise it could be the processor, motherboard or memory. As best as I can tell.

Thanks,

K.D.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  241
  • Birthday:  04/27/1962

My computer problem has been solved. I have AVG free internet security installed. Our neighbor who is a computer guru recommended it.

Thanks for all the advice and prayers! :):)

Thanks,

K.D.

OneLight

I tried a 3rd power supply, 450 watt. And I still get nothing. I do get lights on the CD, power switch, Ethernet. I am sure it is not the power supply. I do not get any beeps, and the harddrive is not engaging. I saw on E-bay a motherboard analyser for $18 are they worth purchasing. Otherwise it could be the processor, motherboard or memory. As best as I can tell.

Thanks,

K.D.

I would of said that you fried your motherboard, but you are getting a light on your NIC, which indicates that there is power going through the board. Still, only part of it could be fried. Since you are not getting any beeps, then your BIOS is not being run, which is part of the board.

I also question why your are getting lights on your CD but not your hard drive? Neither are directly plugged into your motherboard and do not require the board to do anything. Very puzzling.

I never used, or heard of, a motherboard analyzer. While on E-Bay, you may want to check out the prices of a motherboard.

Praying ...

OneLight

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  51
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Thanks,

K.D.

OneLight

Thanks,

K.D.

I would of said that you fried your motherboard, but you are getting a light on your NIC, which indicates that there is power going through the board. Still, only part of it could be fried. Since you are not getting any beeps, then your BIOS is not being run, which is part of the board.

I also question why your are getting lights on your CD but not your hard drive? Neither are directly plugged into your motherboard and do not require the board to do anything. Very puzzling.

I never used, or heard of, a motherboard analyzer. While on E-Bay, you may want to check out the prices of a motherboard.

Praying ...

OneLight

Sounds like the motherboard went, if it were the RAM or CPU you would still likely get at least an error tone from the bios.

The original PSU may have gone bad and fried the motherboard, that happens often.

Does the original PSU smell burnt?