IGNORED

Computer Crash and I am using another puter!

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  241
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/27/1962

My windows XP crashed from a virus that is on Ynet news website.

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/israz.shtml

Just wanted to let ya'll know about that nasty virus that my internet security didn't catch, and it caused my computer to crash with the blue screen of death. I am currently using one computer hard drive, that was given to us a while back. It is Windows ME..and this thing is driving me nuts! The screens freeze up, and it loops and restarts when you try to shut it down. It had an old version of Norton Virus scan, that didn't work. I have downloaded a temporary fix, for now, that found almost 3000 viruses and 16 spybots on this computer....and I have done everything I know to do to fix the rest of the problems. I am paitently waiting for the computer guru to come and fix one of these two computers.

If this one that I am currently using is salvagable we will get a new XP program for it...but I am really hoping to fix my old one. We have lots of family pictures that haven't been loaded on disc there and so much of my Bible studies are saved on it...a lot of work is lost.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rwonderxp

hi there. i'm currently using Clam Win freeware anti-virus combined with freeware Spyware Terminator and freeware Comodo Firewall Pro, and no virus has seeped through at all since i installed this security combo. the reason a virus seeps through, is cause the paid firewalls dun allow browsers to run their little security proxies, where Comodo firewall does. see there's little proxies in every browser, but the paid firewalls block them. they do that thinking it'll increase security, but with out the proxies running their course, viruses can't be blocked. so you can try the software i use or just continue on with your recent security. all these security i recommended can be found on Google search. God bless you.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Content Count:  241
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  04/27/1962

hi there. i'm currently using Clam Win freeware anti-virus combined with freeware Spyware Terminator and freeware Comodo Firewall Pro, and no virus has seeped through at all since i installed this security combo. the reason a virus seeps through, is cause the paid firewalls dun allow browsers to run their little security proxies, where Comodo firewall does. see there's little proxies in every browser, but the paid firewalls block them. they do that thinking it'll increase security, but with out the proxies running their course, viruses can't be blocked. so you can try the software i use or just continue on with your recent security. all these security i recommended can be found on Google search. God bless you.
Thanks for the information...I will check these out.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  445
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  06/03/1974

What virus program did you use??

I use AVG for Virus and Spyware protection and it's always done a good job.

Also if you are able to get the old computer to load at all can't you reset it to a date before it become infected and then backup all the files you need??

Guest rwonderxp

Also if you are able to get the old computer to load at all can't you reset it to a date before it become infected and then backup all the files you need??

Apparently i was told AVG only works good if you combine it with Norton. also depends which version of AVG you mean. AVG free edition i used for 2 months, and i kept getting bugs that were too big for AVG to destroy. And Norton, they say is the way Vista Windows systems are becoming. Power Hungry. but i guess security is different to everyones liking. well i pray the person who started this post, that their computer hard drive can be recovered. it's a real pain when things just get whiped out for reasons we dun understand. i'll remember you folks tonight in my prayers. God bless you and keep you safe.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Apparently i was told AVG only works good if you combine it with Norton. also depends which version of AVG you mean. AVG free edition i used for 2 months, and i kept getting bugs that were too big for AVG to destroy. And Norton, they say is the way Vista Windows systems are becoming. Power Hungry. but i guess security is different to everyones liking. well i pray the person who started this post, that their computer hard drive can be recovered. it's a real pain when things just get whiped out for reasons we dun understand. I'll remember you folks tonight in my prayers. God bless you and keep you safe.

Nope .. Norton will not work at all with AVG. In fact, if you have the AVG software and try to upgrade to Norton, it will instruct you to uninstall AVG first. I worked in IT for the past ten years, so if there is anything that I can do to help, check my profile and drop me an email. I can even tell you how to rebuild your system over email. Just to reassure you, I was responsible for over 300 computers in the company I worked in.

OneLight

Edited for spelling. I can fix computers, but I can't type worth beans!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  305
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Birthday:  11/12/1950

Any computer guru worth his salt will be able to get your pics and other personal stuff off your crashed computer. Make sure they don't just wipe the lot and rebuild coz once that is done it's REALLY tough to retrieve it.

Onelight is right. Having those two antivirus programs will cause conflicts.

I also dabble with PC's and have found that with AVAST antivirus and SPYBOT both installed the nasties have been long gone from my machines.

Cheers

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,537
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/29/1956

Once you get up and running again, make sure you put your pictures on disk and sign up for a photoweb site like Photobucket or Picasa................I like Picasa because when you log in, it automatically downloads any new pictures you've added since the last time you logged on! I hope you get it fixed!

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Any computer guru worth his salt will be able to get your pics and other personal stuff off your crashed computer. Make sure they don't just wipe the lot and rebuild coz once that is done it's REALLY tough to retrieve it.

Cheers

Since you had the Blue Screen of Death, you can still retrieve information from it, as Mutzrein states.

This can be done by switching the jumpers on your hard drive to allow the crashed drive to become the secondary, or slave, drive. Your Guru should know this.

OneLight

Edited for typing errors

Onelight is right. Having those two antivirus programs will cause conflicts.

I also dabble with PC's and have found that with AVAST antivirus and SPYBOT both installed the nasties have been long gone from my machines.

Cheers

If Windows won't boot at all, you can still get the stuff off by using a Linux Live-CD. One of those boots the Linux OS off the CD drive and will read both FAT32 and NTFS formats from the hard disk. (FAT32 = Win 98 and earlier & NTFS = XP and higher.) There are quite a few different ones and they can be downloaded for free and burned to cd. I keep several around in my "tool box" for dealing with things like that. Once Linux is up, I can copy anything I need to from the PC's hard drive to an external hd, usb stick, and in one case - a guy's camera (that was all he had at the time.)