tsth

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

True. But my point is that, since marriage is the norm, I would expect those who decide to remain unmarried to have reasons for not getting married. If the issue is whether or not some individual should get married or not, the fact that marriage is the norm suggests to me that the burden of proof lies with the one who is deciding not to. That's all. One reason this issue concerns me is that much of our culture glorifies singleness. Look at Seinfeld for example. It seems that marriage is too much of an infringement on personal autonomy to be worth it. This is sad.

I would agree with the above Neo.

My point in posting the Scriptures that I did, with regard to being unmarried, was to point out that not all will be compelled to get married, as their focus was more on ministry/missions/serving Christ Jesus, without distraction. And they are not contending with excessive lusts either, (I would suppose?) I don't know?

I guess I'm not clear on how this resolves my question. Of course, I'll accept scripture whatever it says, but I would also like to understand it. Could you interpret this for me?

With regard to Scripture, the married person is able to fulfill activities that the single person is not, (in the eye's of God). In other words, sex IS FOR THE MARRIED, not the UNMARRIED.

1 Cor. 7 again:

1 Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. 2 But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. 8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

I hope this helps some?

In His Love,

Suzanne

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.64
  • Days Won:  0

True. But my point is that, since marriage is the norm, I would expect those who decide to remain unmarried to have reasons for not getting married.

Shalom Neo,

Who says it's the "norm"? :24: I know people who have chosen not to be married and serve G-d instead of having a family. I know missionaries and other "normal" people.

If the issue is whether or not some individual should get married or not, the fact that marriage is the norm suggests to me that the burden of proof lies with the one who is deciding not to. That's all. One reason this issue concerns me is that much of our culture glorifies singleness. Look at Seinfeld for example. It seems that marriage is too much of an infringement on personal autonomy to be worth it. This is sad.

I don't agree. We are talking within the Body, not within the World. What the World does, they do for themselves. What the Christian does, they do for G-d.

There is no "burden of proof" needed Neo. A personal choice to serve G-d never need be defended. And it's not sad at all within the context of choosing to focus on serving G-d and not having a family. That is more of a sacrifice than you think.

ladygirl21 broached the topic. So I assumed she was interested in discussing it.

She might be, I don't know and I'm not speaking for her, but I am addressing that I feel the question is crossing the line.

It's like asking you personal things about your wife and children. That's no one's business but yours and G-d's. If she chooses to answer, great, but it's really not anyone's place to ask. That was my point.

Individuals are not married to Christ. Christ isn't a polygamist. It is the collective body of the church that is married to Christ.

In a spiritual sense Neo. :whistling:

That is the sense in which I was speaking. I was unmarried until I was 37. The idea that I as an individual was married to Christ seemed a little gay to me. I love Christ, but not that way.

Well, that's your perception. It's subjective and not at all Scriptural. You tried to "correct" her with your opinion and perception and that is not right.

I guess I'm not clear on how this resolves my question. Of course, I'll accept scripture whatever it says, but I would also like to understand it. Could you interpret this for me?

It need no interpretation to me, it is plainly stating something that LadyGirl also said. Let's break it down and look at it. (next post)

Shalom Neo,

The Scriptures state plainly that a person who is married has more on their mind and plate than the UNmarried person. And the unmarried person can serve G-d more fully because they have more of themselves to devote to His work.

1 Cor. 7:31 those who use the things of the world, as if not engrossed in them. For this world in its present form is passing away.

32 I would like you to be free from concern. An unmarried man is concerned about the Lord's affairs--how he can please the Lord.

33 But a married man is concerned about the affairs of this world--how he can please his wife-- 34 and his interests are divided.

An unmarried woman or virgin is concerned about the Lord's affairs: Her aim is to be devoted to the Lord in both body and spirit. But a married woman is concerned about the affairs of this world--how she can please her husband.

35 I am saying this for your own good, not to restrict you, but that you may live in a right way in undivided devotion to the Lord.[

Guest Biblicist

I don't see what the problem is, marriage is an individual choice. If you burn with passion, get married. If not, then don't. I think it's very personal.

I don't see what the problem is, marriage is an individual choice. If you burn with passion, get married. If not, then don't. I think it's very personal.

Shalom Bibs,

Amen!! :laugh:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  07/20/1984

Let it go dear and just focus on the Scriptures, 'K?

I was kind enough to respect you and not call you vicki again....kindly stop calling me dear and sweetie..."K"?

Anger and bitterness isnt Gods way .. Its the Earth's way, Please remember that. We should all try to be kind to one another.

Heatherxoxo

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

Let it go dear and just focus on the Scriptures, 'K?

I was kind enough to respect you and not call you vicki again....kindly stop calling me dear and sweetie..."K"?

Anger and bitterness isnt Gods way .. Its the Earth's way, Please remember that. We should all try to be kind to one another.

Heatherxoxo

k..thank you for the reminder...the issues have been worked out but I appreciate your input none the less... :laugh: