• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,858
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/23/1957

I was looking at the ten commandments given in that day for other reasons...

Different views are great for I know Jesus did not abolish the law but fulfilled the law.

I have been in colossians and 1st thessalonians so from that perspective the law is greater to love and if you do this you fufill the ten commandments for without love breaking one law will thus have a dominoe effect and all become broken.... Thanks I gotta go to sleep...my brain is smoking...hahaha :noidea:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  635
  • Content Per Day:  0.09

Heres 'back atcha' Brother Joe :tongue_smile::wub:

God Bless,

Dennis

Amen Sister,

When one loves God with all his/her heart, then they will do what He said out of love and not break any of His Commandments. Thus love is the 'fulfilling of the law' or fulfills the law, keeps the law.

Here in Romans 13, Paul is speaking of the '2nd Great Commandment', that of 'loving your neighbor'. The 1st Great Commandment is not mentioned, thus Paul is just dealing here with our behavior toward our fellow man, not toward God:

Rom 13:8 Owe
no man
any thing, but to
love
one another:
for he that loves another
has
fulfilled
the law.
(Not all of it, not necessarily the 1st Great Commandment, but surely the 2nd.)

Now Paul lists 5 out of the last 6 of the Ten Commandments This does not mean that the 5th has been done away with, but just shows he was referring to the 'Big Ten':

13:9
For this,
(#7)
Thou shalt not commit adultery,
(#6)
Thou shalt not kill,
(#8)
Thou shalt not steal,
(#9)
Thou shalt not bear false witness,
(#10)
Thou shalt not covet; and
if there be
any other commandment
(regarding your neighbor)
it is briefly
comprehended
(summed up, included)
in this saying, namely,
You shall love your neighbour as yourself.

Now Paul shows how one who 'loves his neighbor' will not break any of these Commandments, for they identify and condemn how we hurt our nieghbor and thus show that we not only don't love them, but in reality 'hate' them:

13:10
Love
(of your neighbor)
works
no ill
(evil)
to his
neighbour:
therefore
love
(of one's neighbor)
is the
fulfilling of the law
(the 2nd Great Commandment, to love your neighbor, it does not fulfill the 1st Great Commandment to love God with all one's heart).

Now Paul speaks of the lateness of time, and if that was the case then, what is it now?

13:11
And that, knowing the time, that
now
it is high time to
awake
out of sleep:
for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

13:12
The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore
cast off
the
works of darkness
(all sin, transgression of God's Commandments),
and
let us put on the armor of light............

The 'Spiritual man/woman' avoids any occasion of the flesh, mortifies the flesh, has 'crucified' the flesh through the indwelling Spirit:

13:14
But
put on
the Lord Jesus Christ, and make
no provision
for the
flesh
(remember that flesh, that is not subject to the Law of God and thus breaks His Commandments)
, to
fulfill
the
lusts
(desires)
thereof.

These verses are used by many to say that the Commandments applying to God, the first four, then are done away with, since Paul does not mention them here. Context clearly shows that Paul is dealing only with the last 6 that have to do with their neighbor. You can not make doctrine out of what is not said, only out of what is specifically stated as truth, thus here Paul again shows that faith establishes the Law, rather that doing away with it.

The Love of one's neighbor will not cover a lack of love toward God and its resultant disobedience to any Commandments having to do with our behavior toward Him. In other words, loving your neighbor does not cover any transgression against the will of God as expressed in Commandments regarding Him, especially the 1st four.

I hope you slept well, give that brain a little R & R.

God Bless,

Dennis

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  87
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

Great thread. I'm bumping this to the top! :whistling:

it is unfortunate that some of us look at the scriptures through the fleshly/soulish realm and thus easily would mistake the missing scriptures paul does not mention as being obliterated. Yet this is not true. And you are most certainly correct in the facts above. Our soulish realm loves to feed and sometimes our spirits are left barren.

We can only be knit together in love and if one does not have it the knitting cannot be done.

And beyond all these things put on LOVE, which is the perfect body of unity. Col.3:14. What i see here is that we are to actively love on...it is a choice for the believer bearing us the the responsibilty of the action. It is there for the taking.

The 10 commandments should lead us straight to Jesus.

Amen!

The 10 commandments should lead us straight to Jesus.

For forgiveness for any past transgressions, and for the 'New heart', the 'Spiritual heart', that now loves His will as expressed in the Commandments and hates sin, the transgression of them.

God bless,

Dennis

:blink:

Letter Versus Spirit - #2

As previously stated, the 'Letter of the Law', contained in the 'Ten Commandments', is the 'bare minimum' of righteousness, the ceasing of unrighteousness, or sin, when one repents and comes to Jesus. Christ magnifies the Law, and makes it Spiritual, thus expanding it and making it all inclusive, rather that just 10 'rules'.

The Letter of the Law:

COMMANDMENT #2:

Ex 20:4
You
shall not make
unto thee any
graven image
or
any likeness
of
any thing
that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth:

20:5
You
shall not bow
down to them, nor
serve them
:
for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that
hate me;

20:6
And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that
love me
and
keep
my
Commandments
(Notice the reference to the 1st Great Commandment, of the 'New Covenant', that of Loving God with all our being and thus
keeping
His
Commandments
)

Here again, we have the 'bare minimum' of righteousness, the starting point in dealing with God, the ceasing of that which is obviously sin. The prohibition of the most basic form of 'Idolatry', worshiping of 'statues' or 'formed images'. when one comes to the Father through Jesus, he/she is to cease this practice. This Command does not tell us any thing positive in the worship of God except that of 'keeping His Commandments' for those who receive His mercy. Keeping this Commandment will not 'save anyone', will not earn them anything, but the breaking of it would show that one hasn't really turned from sin to God. Thus if anyone would say that they served God and still broke this Commandment, they would be a liar, for they would be in transgression of His 'stated will' in this Commandment. Again this is not the 'sum total' of righteousness concerning worship the 'Living God', just the starting point.

The Spirit of the Law or the Spiritual aspect of the Law as written in the heart:

As we are not to make any 'physical' image or representation of God, in the 'New Covenant, God is to 'make us, or re-make us, in His image. Here we have a sort of reversal of roles. God 'creates us' in His 'Spiritual image', giving us His very own Holy Spirit to lead and guide us in the forming of a New Vessel, a Holy Vessel fit for the 'Master's use'. In Jesus we have the only image or likeness of God. To fulfill righteousness of God in the 1st Great Commandment, we are to allow God to make us in the 'image of Jesus'

COMMANDMENT#2:

First Jesus expands the meaning of Idolatry in the 'New Testament':

Eph 5:5
For
this you know
that no whoremonger, nor unclean person,
nor
covetous man
who is an
idolater
has
any inheritance
in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

5:6
Let no man
deceive
you
(for many will try)
with
vain words
:
for because of these things
comes the
wrath of God
upon the
children of disobedience.
(whether they claim to be a believer or not)

Col 3:5
Mortify
(kill, destroy)
therefore your members
(sins of the flesh)
which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and
covetousness
which is
idolatry
:

3:6
For which things' sake the
wrath of God come
on the
children of disobedience:

Next He shows the true work of creating the 'believer' in 'His own image'. making one a 'Spiritual replica of Christ' on this earth so all can see Him in His followers:

Rom 8:28
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to those who are the
called
according
to
His purpose
(what is His purpose in calling us?)

8:29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate
to be
conformed
to the
image of his Son

1Cor 15:49
And as we have borne the
image of the earthy
(a sinner),
we shall also
bear the image
of the
heavenly
(that of Jesus Himself, here on this earth).

2Cor 3:17
Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the
Spirit of the Lord is, there is
liberty
(freedom, not to sin and break His Commandments or choose which ones we like, but freedom from sin. from breaking them)

3:18
But
we all
with open face
beholding
as in a glass
(mirror)
the
glory
(perfection)
of the Lord,
are
changed
into the
same image
from glory to glory, even as by the
Spirit of the Lord.

Col 3:9
Lie not one to another
(stop breaking God's Commandments),
seeing that
you have
(already)
put off
the
old man
with
his deeds
;
(his sins in breaking God's Commandments, the 'letter of the Law')

3:10
And
have
(already)
put on
the
new man
(spiritual man by faith),
who is
renewed
in knowledge
(or the truth)
after the image
of him that
created him
:

Now lets see, did any of the 'Spirit of the Law', written in the heart, do away with any of the 'letter of the law'? Can the 'New Spiritual Man' now ignore the 'Letter of the Law', because he has the 'Law written in His heart? Can he now make 'graven images' and bow down and worship them? Of course not, in fact the very idea would be repugnant to him. He has now been 're-made' in the 'Image of God' and has put away all transgression of God's will, and seeks to please Him in all things, and keeping God's Commandments pleases Him.

So far, we see that Jesus was right, every jot and tittle is still there, and as Paul says, faith establishes the Law, by keeping the Law of Commandments as expressed in the 'Ten Commandments'.

God Bless,

Dennis

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  297
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  1

I was reminded of this thread when I read this verse:

Isaiah 51

6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, And look on the earth beneath. For the heavens will vanish away like smoke, The earth will grow old like a garment, And those who dwell in it will die in like manner; But My salvation will be forever, And My righteousness will not be abolished. 7 "Listen to Me, you who know righteousness, You people in whose heart is My law: Do not fear the reproach of men, Nor be afraid of their insults. 8 For the moth will eat them up like a garment, And the worm will eat them like wool; But My righteousness will be forever, And My salvation from generation to generation."

In His Love,

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne,

What a blessing, in the 'New Covenant', God writes His Laws in our heart with His own finger, giving us a love for His Will, and the 'best news', is it is all by faith, a free gift to those who 'beleive' and 'receive' His Spirit. All the works and obedience flow from this indwelling love received freely from God and the personal indwelling of Christ who is the 'living Word', thus the 'living will' and thus the 'living law' of God in action.

Gal 5:5
For we
through the Spirit
wait for the hope of
righteousness
by faith.

5:6
For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision avails any thing, nor uncircumcision; but
faith
which
works
by
love

May God richly bless,

Dennis