• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/08/1967

as Maddie from the movie True Grit said "who knows what's in a man's heart"

seems to me bringing this topic up is childish and a perfect example of how people look for the faults in others and ignore their own. IMO :o

:o :o :P :P

Oh Jackie, you really crack me up. Look in the mirror at your post.

Your reply is a perfect example of my post. You misread and misjudged this entire thread because I posted it and you tried to bring in old personal arguments and unforgiveness. Tsk tsk

As to the topic, I'm talking about the ACT, not talking about people's faults. NO wonder people change their screen names! :o

But the question remains, it is deception. I believe it is.

my worthy sister's :

always remember, we can agree to disagree. that said----------------------------come out punching at the bell. :24::24:

I've yet to determine what the purpose of this thread was...however I have been told that I was in error, having been told of my error..I made a mistake and apologize.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  138
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,997
  • Content Per Day:  0.63

In reference to hopper's "sock puppet" notation:

From wikipedia

A sockpuppet is an online identity used for purposes of deception within an Internet community. In its earliest usage, a sockpuppet was a false identity through which a member of an Internet community speaks while pretending not to, like a puppeteer manipulating a hand puppet.[1]

In current usage, the perception of the term has been extended beyond second identities of people who already post in a forum to include other uses of misleading online identities. For example, a NY Times article claims that "sock-puppeting" is defined as "the act of creating a fake online identity to praise, defend or create the illusion of support for one

Wow...that whole sock-puppet thing is so totally strange..

I have a hard enough time being me without trying to be more than one me..

very interesting thread.. I had no idea people did stuff like that...

I know at different boards there is a different aspect of ones personality that seems to come out..

I do visit 4 boards and I have different feelings about each one and the conversation seems different with each one..

But that said I am still who I am here and using the name I use at the other boards would not bring out that part of my personality...it is unique for there..

Hope that makes sense to you..it does to me...

and the feeling deceived remark is how I would feel if I found out someone was using another name to hide who they were with no good reason...

Shalom,

Yeah, I'm with ya. I yam who I yam no matter WHERE I yam. :o

I have had experience where people pretended to be other people. On one board, we had a gal and her "daughter" would sign on and ask for prayer for her "mom" with all these problems and it was discovered the mom and daughter were the same person!

And I have had experiences on other boards where I was moderating where we had people get banned and they come back over and over under other names! It was a pain to deal with!

As I've said, there are valid reasons to change names, but as Traveller posted, it has to be done through the right channels and for the right reasons.

It is wrong to deceive people for any reason!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  940
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Shalom Y'all,

Now, before anyone gets upset, I'm NOT talking about Ted changing names for fun or our own Sweety Cakes! :mgfrog:

Rather, I'm talking about people who come to Worthy and post things that are cause controversy and maybe get people upset, so they leave and come back under a different name and try again.

I feel that is deception.

Oh, I understand it. I do. Many times I feel that people will argue with me and ignore what I'm really saying because they had an argument with me in another thread, or they have a personal problem with me. And I think that is ANYONE else posted what I posted, it would be accepted, but it's argued against because it's from ME and people hold personal grudges to be sure.

And it's tempting to simply create a new name and post so that the words will actually be read and not criticized because it's me posting.

I admit, it's tempting to do, but I feel that would be deception, so I don't do it. I feel we, even on a Message Board where we have the shield of anonymity have ACCOUNTABILITY for our words. And so, trying to hide my identity to post does not remove the accountability, IMHO.

What do y'all think about people who change their Worthy names to avoid people knowing they were here posting under a different name? (not for fun, but to hide their previous names)

Is it deception? Or is is self-preservation against being criticized in the past and someone wants a new start? Is it justifiable?

Your opinions?

Hi Vickilynn,

Such as this has been going on for years and years. People have certain mannerisms in their writing though that are easily recognizable if one is attuned to such. For myself, my writing style is so distinct, that even if I was to do so, you would easily recognize me.

I have seen people post controversial things and then come in under several different names to actually support their own writing.

There are times it is deceptive, there are times it is justifiable. I for one, just don't worry about it.

Hi Vickilynn,

Such as this has been going on for years and years. People have certain mannerisms in their writing though that are easily recognizable if one is attuned to such. For myself, my writing style is so distinct, that even if I was to do so, you would easily recognize me.

I have seen people post controversial things and then come in under several different names to actually support their own writing.

There are times it is deceptive, there are times it is justifiable. I for one, just don't worry about it.

Shalom Richard,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, sometimes the mannerisms are recognizable and other times the person bent on deceiving will try to disguise their mannerisms so as not to be detected.

So as to be clearly understood, I don't "worry" about it either :mgfrog: I was just asking is all. I'm glad that I did, for I have learned several new things by this thread. Especially from Traveller.

Guest daretobelieve

Well... I would be one who has created a new profile but, certainly not for any of the reasons stated here .... I am proud of the gift God has given me to write and write well... I think .... therefore i would not hide from any criticism, good or bad. Fact is I created my first profile "Possibilitarian" and never logged out therefore, I didn't have to sign in when I entered the site then, a few weeks ago, my system crashed....(that was scary) and I had to log in here for the first time.... Hmmm now there's the problem...I know my password as I always use the same one on forums but I must of made a spelling mistake in "possibilitarian" and after trying numerous, possibly hundreds of different spellings the system locked me out.... I sent 2 e-mails to admin but, got no reply so ended up re-creating my self as "daretobelieve"..... so there you go.... we are not all out to deceive others and, just as I have a genuine reason, I am sure many others have too, just as sure as I am also of the fact that some do change user profiles to deceive.

Guest Vote for ted!

Lets face it, things like this happen, and we can not always catch and stop it, but don't forget that even if we can't hold people accountable for their words or actions, there is One who can and does. And His judgement is just and complete. Praise the LORD. :emot-pray:

Lets face it, things like this happen, and we can not always catch and stop it, but don't forget that even if we can't hold people accountable for their words or actions, there is One who can and does. And His judgement is just and complete. Praise the LORD. :th_praying:

Shalom Ted, eerrrrrrrrrr Bibs,

Yes, you are correct, the Word says:

Hebrews 4

13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

I knew that 'vote for ted' was bibs, because I recognized her signature. I did not know that hopper was 'write in' - but I did figure 'write in' was a regular here who was having a bit of fun over the Worthy presidential candidate stuff in the fellowship hall.

I know there's at least one person here who has had a few names changes while trying to find the best nick that really fits - and that person very kindly has listed in their signature the nick they used to go by. That is sooooo helpful! (And the new nick is so beautiful. :emot-pray: )

Edited to add: I also didn't know what 'sock puppets' are, but now that I see the definition, I have seen that kind of behavior in a chatroom I used to go to. Yuck.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  462
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Birthday:  10/07/1981

I've been around here (on and off, I'll grant you) for close to three years...in that time, I've only had to change my alt. just once, and it was for definitely legitimate reasons...otherwise, I've kept the same handle since my time around Worthy...it's actually a legit. nickname of mine, and "close" to my real first name, as some of you know...just thought I'd throw in my two cents! Blessings, gang....A.P. :laugh: