• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Your analogy is misleading. I refrain from the use of unnecessarily obscure or arcane terminology.

:emot-hug: I'm glad you think so!

This is how I read your sentence:

"Surely it is more accurate to say that irrational gibberish, gibberish in traditional thought merely result in a lack of gibberish, gibberish."

It's fine for an English teacher of philosophy teacher or the like to speak this way to his students in order to stretch their minds, but in everyday conversation it comes across as arrogance - listen to me, I who am of superior intellect than you.

Unless you are so used to talking to PhD's or something that you don't know how else to talk. :laugh:

And if this offends you, I'm sorry, but someone has to vocalize what a lot of people are thinking. I am all for dialoguing, but people do not enjoy having to spend 5-10 minutes staring at what someone said trying to make sense of what they said.

Seriously - I don't know if you were arguing against how someone describes God, how someone believes in God, something that was mentioned in the video, or what???

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

I am feeling so wowed!

Last night, I was at a prayer meeting that showed the video Indescribable with Louie Giglio (he founded the Passion Conferences, if you heard of them).

The website for Passion actually has this on the web if you want to view it.

To show you what I mean, I'll present a segment:

After a brief into. to the wonders of how big the universe is (we actually call it the "known" universe because we haven't built telescopes big enough to see what else is out there!), he presents the dilemma of scientists and others about whether or not there are more habital planets in the universe. The chief argument for in favor of this is:

If the universe is simply a habitation for you and for me, then it's way oversized.

Louie argues back:

"But what if the primary purpose of the universe is not to be a home for you and for me, but what if it's primary purpose is to show off the splendor and the majesty and the greatness and the glory of the God who created it all? Then the universe is not too big at all! The universe is just about the right size after all."

:thumbsup:

If you are up to the challenge of feeling small - and I mean really, really small - see and hear where he goes from there.

See video here

Bumping so people can see the original post :emot-highfive:

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

• Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Days Won:  1

Amen... :swordfightsmiles:

Truly amazing... :thumbsup:

• 8 months later...

I am feeling so wowed!

Last night, I was at a prayer meeting that showed the video Indescribable with Louie Giglio (he founded the Passion Conferences, if you heard of them).

After a brief into. to the wonders of how big the universe is (we actually call it the "known" universe because we haven't built telescopes big enough to see what else is out there!), he presents the dilemma of scientists and others about whether or not there are more habital planets in the universe. The chief argument for in favor of this is:

If the universe is simply a habitation for you and for me, then it's way oversized.

Louie argues back:

"But what if the primary purpose of the universe is not to be a home for you and for me, but what if it's primary purpose is to show off the splendor and the majesty and the greatness and the glory of the God who created it all? Then the universe is not too big at all! The universe is just about the right size after all."

:)

If you are up to the challenge of feeling small - and I mean really, really small - see and hear where he goes from there.

See video here

bumping again :)

Rebekah David

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

I wonder how this view deals with the fact that we are actually going to be less and less able to observe other parts of the universe over time seeing as it is constantly expanding. Just a thought.

Lurker

God's glory can be seen even in your own backyard, Lurker.

I wonder how this view deals with the fact that we are actually going to be less and less able to observe other parts of the universe over time seeing as it is constantly expanding. Just a thought.

:45: "We"?

I do believe our sun is scheduled to end its life before the universe is too big for the other parts of the universe to be seen from this part.

The point: it's what you missed.

Well, I missed your point, too.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,311
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Thank you Neb for that! Love Steven

Well, if we're going to say that the whole of the universe is there just to demonstrate God's greatness to us on our single planet it seems a bit odd that God would make a universe that's constantly expanding at a faster and faster rate making the parts of that universe less and less available to us to observe or even potentially explore. I certainly think that the awesome scope of the universe does demonstrate God's greatness, but I also think it's not just there for us to look at.

And your reasoning does not make sense - as I stated - by the time the universe gets that big, there will be no Earth to speak of by scientific standards.

And I take it you don't believe what Revelation has to say about Jesus coming back and the eventual New Heaven and New Earth. :noidea:

• 7 months later...

I am feeling so wowed!

Louie argues back:

:emot-heartbeat:

See video here

bumping for those who have not watched it yet.

Rebekah David