nebula

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

Have you ever had a friend who was the holder of some bad ideals, but you were grateful for a time that they showed you kindness and compassion? I had a friend who supported my family with gifts and support during a time when my paycheck stopped because the employer went bankrupt. I developed a close relationship with this man, and spent a lot of time with him when I was in my early 20s. He became a friend of the family. I am 43 now, and the man has some cooky ideas and ways of relating with people. He is considered a con artist by some. But, I am still grateful for his friendship in the past. I will entertain a relationship with him still whenever he is around. I just separate myself from his activities. But I won't deny what he has done or my love for him. He can be a strong liability for someone like myself in ministry who has to protect his reputation and public perception.

I think that's a good example of what I believe the situation between Wright and Obama to be.

There is no doubt they have known each other for a long time, and have gone through a lot

as friends (baptisms, marriage etc). Obama obviously doesn't agree with everything Wright

has said, but is still a friend of his because he sees the good in him.

The problem is, BHO put this wacky pastor on his campaign staff. This says to me that at the very least BHO has no clue about "discretion" and the "appearance of impropriety." How can I trust him to make a good choice of, say, some major cabinet position should, G-d forbid, he gets elected when he puts a controversial figure like this on his staff now? And at the very worst is says that at someplace deep down inside, BHO agrees with wacky Wright.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

Have you ever had a friend who was the holder of some bad ideals, but you were grateful for a time that they showed you kindness and compassion? I had a friend who supported my family with gifts and support during a time when my paycheck stopped because the employer went bankrupt. I developed a close relationship with this man, and spent a lot of time with him when I was in my early 20s. He became a friend of the family. I am 43 now, and the man has some cooky ideas and ways of relating with people. He is considered a con artist by some. But, I am still grateful for his friendship in the past. I will entertain a relationship with him still whenever he is around. I just separate myself from his activities. But I won't deny what he has done or my love for him. He can be a strong liability for someone like myself in ministry who has to protect his reputation and public perception.

I think that's a good example of what I believe the situation between Wright and Obama to be.

There is no doubt they have known each other for a long time, and have gone through a lot

as friends (baptisms, marriage etc). Obama obviously doesn't agree with everything Wright

has said, but is still a friend of his because he sees the good in him.

The problem is, BHO put this wacky pastor on his campaign staff. This says to me that at the very least BHO has no clue about "discretion" and the "appearance of impropriety." How can I trust him to make a good choice of, say, some major cabinet position should, G-d forbid, he gets elected when he puts a controversial figure like this on his staff now? And at the very worst is says that at someplace deep down inside, BHO agrees with wacky Wright.

Now that is a very viable point Marnie

i have had employers who held "bad ideals" and I needed the paycheck so I was quiet. I have had friends with bad ideals....I vigorously opposed them privately and/or publicly.

But a pastor??? Someone in charge of being a spiritual leader for my family and spewing racist hatred???

No how...no way. I've been in a couple of church services where similar ignorance was spewed and got out the door immediately. To be silent about that kind of bigotry is to be guilty.

If he stays at this church for a service...no big deal...but 20 years? He's just as guilty.

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  0

Am I mistaken that he hadn't called Wright his "former pastor" before? Is it even possible to sit under anyone's leadership for that long and NOT ascribe to their beliefs? IMO he's only speaking out against it now because it's been exposed and it's political suicide for him to not do so.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Comment 1:

Two hundred and twenty one years ago, in a hall that still stands across the street, a group of men gathered and, with these simple words, launched Americas improbable experiment in democracy.

Reminds me of the Gettysburg Address.

Comment 2:

It was stained by this nations original sin of slavery, a question that divided the colonies and brought the convention to a stalemate until the founders chose to allow the slave trade to continue for at least twenty more years, and to leave any final resolution to future generations.

All right, this is a pet peeve of mine.

If you think you have had it bad, Mr. Obama, because of your black skin, why don't you hop in your fancy car and take a drive to our nation's Native American reservations and spend some time with a people who also had their freedom taken away and but also have been lied to; forced to live in impoverished segregation; been stripped of their pride and dignity; grew up surrounded by alcoholism, drug abuse and a high suicide rate; are lost in hopelessness; and forgotten by American society.

You, Mr. Obama, are the son of an immigrant and a white American and live in affluence. What do you know of this kind of suffering?

Comment 3:

Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes.

That's not the impression we were given in your statements before. Did you not state you were shocked to hear such things?

Comment 4:

Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely - just as I'm sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.

It appears, though, that they didn't bother you all that much. I would never sit under a pastor who spewed hatred like this.

I mean, this isn't even "Hate the sin, love the sinner" speak. This is "Kill the sinner!"

Comment 5:

Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country - a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

Very good! I am glad you admit this.

Comment 6:

But the truth is, that isn't all that I know of the man....

All right, Obama, I can understand the things you have said here.

Unfortunately, this comes after previous controversies associated with you and your wife: with you regarding the pledge and the American flag pin, with your wife regarding the "never been proud of America before" comment.

It does leave people leery of trusting your words at face value like this.

(I need to go now, so I won't be able to comment on the rest of this speech.)

Ddavid -

You as well as everyone else have missed something in what I said.

All this talk about racial problems have been focused on American black slavery and discrimination against blacks since then.

But what about the Native Americans?

And what ancestry does Obama have with slavery in America?

Likewise, with the suspicions of his loyalty beginning not with his pastor - his spiritual mentor - but with his own actions and with his wife's words, why should any of us feel happy and OK with a very well-crafted speech?

As for what you focused on (my last comment), like Yod pointed out, this is the man's pastor, not just a friend. And this congregation he belonged to cheered passionately over the pastor's words. What does that tell you?

• Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

Am I mistaken that he hadn't called Wright his "former pastor" before? Is it even possible to sit under anyone's leadership for that long and NOT ascribe to their beliefs? IMO he's only speaking out against it now because it's been exposed and it's political suicide for him to not do so.

He's certainly speaking about it because people brought it up, obviously people brought up a concern, and it only makes sense to address something that is troubling people. :emot-hug:

If Barack wanted to avoid all forms of political suicide, I think he would have put as much distance between himself and the pastor as he could. After hearing the speech, he didn't do this, and instead of trying to run away from the issue with his tail between his legs, he elaborated upon his reasoning. I respect that a lot more.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,673
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

yeah, kids face these every day. many call them gangs. they cause trouble, do no good, and some do drugs and many deal them.

we tell kids to stay away from them. Definitely dont hang around them for many years.

if kids can take this advice so can grown people.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  196
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,343
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Birthday:  12/03/1964

I would prefer to believe he is weighing the cost of his total separation from this past association. Knowing the damage is done and regardless of his action now he is tied to these comments. So, he is taking what is the high road in his opinion of appearing human and being loyal to the one who introduced him to Christainity. How, would you like to be in the position? I don't really perceive Obama to be a man of deep personal spiritual conviction, perhaps a baby Christian, who never had the benefit of spiritual meat. Interesting side note, he is probably glad at least to be shed of the Muslim argument, Now he is a racist by association and not a terrorist :emot-hug:

• Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,144
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Birthday:  11/05/1985

Nebula, I don't really get why talking about native americans should have been a point in his speech.

He spoke in order to address the concerns certain people had about his history in an alleged racially discriminatory church. The church was a black church. Why should he have talked about native americans? I mean, yes they were persecuted, but it has nothing to do with why people are holding him up to the fire today :emot-hug:

As for his unpatriotic "actions", speaking about patriotism instead of wearing a pin, or singing instead of putting a hand over your heart hardly seems like credible evidence for proving he doesn't love the country.

• Topic Count:  272
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,338
  • Content Per Day:  0.65

He's certainly speaking about it because people brought it up, obviously people brought up a concern, and it only makes sense to address something that is troubling people. :laugh:

If Barack wanted to avoid all forms of political suicide, I think he would have put as much distance between himself and the pastor as he could. After hearing the speech, he didn't do this, and instead of trying to run away from the issue with his tail between his legs, he elaborated upon his reasoning. I respect that a lot more.

If he genuinely disagrees with such positions he would have distanced himself before it became a public issue instead of waiting for it to be exposed. He is many things no doubt but I see little if any sincerity in his words. I don't claim to know his heart either though.

I would prefer to believe he is weighing the cost of his total separation from this past association. Knowing the damage is done and regardless of his action now he is tied to these comments. So, he is taking what is the high road in his opinion of appearing human and being loyal to the one who introduced him to Christainity. How, would you like to be in the position? I don't really perceive Obama to be a man of deep personal spiritual conviction, perhaps a baby Christian, who never had the benefit of spiritual meat. Interesting side note, he is probably glad at least to be shed of the Muslim argument, Now he is a racist by association and not a terrorist :emot-hug:

Being loyal to the one who introduced him to Christ is one thing. Running for President with a person on his staff who has such obvious hatred for this country is a different issue entirely.

I certainly don't envy his position but it's not my character and integrity that's in question.